Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

"Observational Analytics"

Someone please blow my head off.

Guy pushing back against in-game analytics already.

You are very smart. Let's be real here though, he is right to a degree. Analytics are very important but we need a guy who can say, "wait a minute, in this moment, a gut decision makes sense." For instance, you have to take into account if a pitcher is tired or frustrated. Is a player likely to get hurt playing defense poorly. A guy may hit a pitcher well in his career, but is he in a big slump now? 

7 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

He can do what he wants, but if he negatively impacts the play of key players, is it worth it? If TA and Abreu ask for trades, is it worth it?  Why can't we find a manager who fits the personality of this bunch?

It's clearly not worth it and in the case of the anthem I fully support anyone who kneels. 

We had a manager that fit the personality of the bunch. Why did we let him go? Now take those reasons, are they worth more or less than personality that fits the bunch? The team clearly believes those reasons outweighed supporting protests and parted ways. 

I also believe a good manager gains the trusts and confidence of the players while maintaining some control of the clubhouse. I don't think a manager could do that and fight the anthem protest and would be stupid to try. But there may be other issues where he should set limits.

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

Well, bye Ron

This hiring process was not done in a fair manner. JR totally undermined Hahn and made the decision for me. 

If the hiring process was done fairly and not totally rigged by Reinsdorf, I would leave here for good. Unfortunately it wasn't done fairly and I won't be honoring it. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Just now, Quin said:

But also, reading people's recaps, he answered the kneeling question decently enough.

Fegan is the bomb.

He answered it well. Hey my grandfather sounded like an old bat when talking about kneeling. But he's changed over the past few years on it. It can happen. He sounded sincere. 

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

You are very smart. Let's be real here though, he is right to a degree. Analytics are very important but we need a guy who can say, "wait a minute, in this moment, a gut decision makes sense." For instance, you have to take into account if a pitcher is tired or frustrated. Is a player likely to get hurt playing defense poorly. A guy may hit a pitcher well in his career, but is he in a big slump now? 

Analytics generally say you don't buy into that as the sample sizes are too small.

Just now, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

This hiring process was not done in a fair manner. JR totally undermined Hahn and made the decision for me. 

If the hiring process was done fairly and not totally rigged by Reinsdorf, I would leave here for good. Unfortunately it wasn't done fairly and I won't be honoring it. 

We don't have to worry about you honoring anything.  Bye 👋 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

This might be the best post i've seen in the history of Soxtalk. I LOL'd at what you did. I hope I don't see that exact same comments next week though.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wegner said:

I'm not sure that bat drop that Grandal does is sincere enough...that is right out in the LaRussa administration!!!

Why even watch the press conference then? No matter what he says people are gonna complain. If what he is saying is true, and i'll take him at his word, he will be much more progressive on the field than we thought. That is a good thing. He is here and nothing anyone can do about it. All we can do is hope our concerns are alleviated. 

15 minutes ago, mqr said:

Saying he "doesn't have a racist bone in his body" and naming a bunch of black guys was pretty weird, but he said he supports the player's decisions. 

"No one has done more for black players, besides maybe Abe Lincoln and Jackie Robinson, than me"

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

I was as skeptical about what he would say in this press conference as anyone, but he’s said everything I’ve wanted to hear.

yeah they were at least self-aware.

On the other hand, it looked like tricked hahn into leaving the office for takeout, then locked him out and he spent the last three days pounding the door to come in.

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic