the old Corbin Burnes thread, we have a new Burnes thread

bmags

3 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

Is it according to the tax threshold???? See my post above.  The extensions are starting to set in for the young guys starting next year.  If the plan is to extend Gio and Lynn (this year we are $47 million below, next year closer to $27 million below), there is your extra space.  It isn't we are at $120 million, go to $150-$160.  Jerry's not spending luxury tax dollars, whether we want him to or not.  One year deals for big bucks might be the only way

That was my point. We can spend this year and next year without paying any tax. 

7 minutes ago, Dayton83 said:

Thanks and I’ll leave the tweet up just in case lol I have no Twitter rep to kill anyways, all I do is retweet posts trying to win baseball cards and such. 

Just write "👀" constantly and we'll hang on your every tweet.

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Dayton83 said:

Hello Soxtalk,

Long time reader first time caller.  Sorry to get everybody excited with my Twitter post.  I’m not sure how credible you will consider a nobody like myself but I do get a decent amount of info. Here is the truth to it:

That package is something I have/had heard from multiple people as to what was on the table and potentially ‘close’ for Burnes.  I may be in the minority but I didn’t like it. Burnes has electric stuff (savant is beautiful) but to me I don’t know why we give up Madrigal/Heuer/Kelley for a guy with 9 starts and was previously an up and down reliever. It’s a decent amount of depth from a team that has limited trade capital for a fourth starter that would be able to pitch 100-120 innings tops in 2021? Is it really so hard just to sign that depth starter (Richards) and figure out the Cease/Kopech scenario as the season goes? Or in a perfect world, have done this for someone a bit more projectable like anyone the Padres got? Or Sonny Gray? Or sign Trevor Bauer (ha..ha) Burnes ceiling is the moon but so is Kopech’s and Crochet’s. We have guys like him. I would rather have someone with a higher floor. 

So, as a total joke in a chat I’m in, I said I am going to say the deal is ‘done’ and try to ‘Joc Pederson’ it. I figure it would be a funny win/win either I get the deal or I can believe I jinxed it (which I’m sure I have nothing to do with). 

So first of all, Hi! Second of all, sorry for my dumb tweet you’ll see I don’t even really post on Twitter. Third, that Reddit guy is way off base. His idea that the trade was ‘done’ but the Brewers asked for Crochet instead of Stiever? Yeah a deal is ‘done’ but then the team asked for a headliner instead of the fourth piece, doesn’t work that way. He’s pretty far off. 

No clue if anything here ever happens but it seems they will talk to the Brewers until the dawn of time with Codi Heuer going there for something. They’ve been at this since the deadline last year. 

Welcome to Soxtalk!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

That was my point. We can spend this year and next year without paying any tax. 

We can spend THIS year.  Next year, we are pushing $183 WITHOUT extensions for Lynn and Gio.  The longer you wait on Gio, the more likely he goes to FA.  Lynn is looking at probably double what he makes this year.  If you extend Gio and he's making $12-$15 and Lynn is around $17-$18, you are at the tax door.  All of these people talking about 2-3 year deals for guys aren't doing the math, unless Cespedes is ready for RF, that saves a few million and if Vaughn is DH a few more.  Still not a big cushion though.  That's why the decision soon will be trade guys to get cost control, play with what we have, or sign guys and trade others away making too much

Edited by Wisebri224
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Wisebri224 said:

We can spend THIS year.  Next year, we are pushing $183 WITHOUT extensions for Lynn and Gio.  The longer you wait on Gio, the more likely he goes to FA.  Lynn is looking at probably double what he makes this year.  If you extend Gio and he's making $12-$15 and Lynn is around $17-$18, you are at the tax door.  All of these people talking about 2-3 year deals for guys aren't doing the math.

We are at 183 million next year?

20 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

Also, nobody wants to pay attention to the Luxury Tax.  It doesn't just play on your 25 man payroll, it's 40.  The Sox right now are at $163 million(it includes dead money, benefits, etc) .  Cap is $210.  Yes, that's a $47 million dollar gap, but here's the deal.  Next year with extensions locking in for our core, that number goes up $20 million with adding nothing.  No Lynn extension, no Gio extension.  You sign Bauer and both of those guys are probably gone.  Jerry isn't going into the luxury tax.  Would Bauer sign a one year $35 million?  Maybe, but that's about the only way that pipedream works I think

If the Sox signed Bauer to a multi year deal, I imagine they would no longer have any desire to pursue a Lynn extension (if they are even considering one now).  As for Gio, rumors are that they tried to sign him to an extension this offseason and it obviously hasn't happened.  The Sox shouldn't make a decision to pass on Bauer simply based on the hope that they are able to extend Gio. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hi8is said:

We are at 183 million next year?

Right now the Sox are at $163 million for 40 man roster with dead money, contracts, and benefits.  Next year, the core have another $20 million going on the books with raises from their extensions.  Now, you subtract Lynn and Eaton, that cuts $17 million off, but if you re-sign Lynn and extend Gio you are looking at being right back up in that mid $180's range before you do anything else.  Like I said maybe you can replace Eaton with a kid and Vaughn is ready and you have $15-$20 million to play with, but it depends on development.  Maybe you don't have to extend Lynn because Kopoech and Cease or great but we don't know that right now.

2 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

If the Sox signed Bauer to a multi year deal, I imagine they would no longer have any desire to pursue a Lynn extension (if they are even considering one now).  As for Gio, rumors are that they tried to sign him to an extension this offseason and it obviously hasn't happened.  The Sox shouldn't make a decision to pass on Bauer simply based on the hope that they are able to extend Gio. 

So you add Bauer and don't sign Lynn.  OK.  That still will add about $15 million to your payroll next year putting it at $178ish.  We are still on hopes we don't need a starter.  Are you also assuming if no Gio extension now that he's basically going to walk after 2023?  I guess if you saw that coming you go for it this year and play it out?  That's an option I suppose

51 minutes ago, bmags said:

it's fun thinking about the way I follow the sox now isn't much different than the people that loved twilight so much they read additional fan-fic and my EL James is the combined foodies.

edit: accidentally mixed up twilight/fifty shades of gray authors, embarrassing.

FoodAnon

• Haha 3

59 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Those food accounts sure know how to hedge their bets.

How many "insiders" would screw their source, a potential deal and team-to-team relationships by constantly going public with names in or not in a current trade packages?   

The food accounts....NCS, Al, Portillo, 

I know who 1 of them is. This guy has access to real info, HOWEVER, when he doesn’t have it he just speculates. This person should probably be tweeting like once or twice a month and they would seem like a huge insider. Instead it gets clouded with speculation, hedging, and just general guessing. Take them with a grain of salt. They’ll get something totally right one day but don’t know what to do with their free time in between so they just post to post. Like that above Al post. It says nothing. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Wasn't this started first??? This thread probably inspired the fake rumor.

lol maybe but it started because the als cheesy beef account retweeted a bunch of corbin burnes hype videos that were old so I figured something could be up there. Then homeboy @Orlando found the reddit thread.

2 minutes ago, Dayton83 said:

The food accounts....NCS, Al, Portillo, 

I know who 1 of them is. This guy has access to real info, HOWEVER, when he doesn’t have it he just speculates. This person should probably be tweeting like once or twice a month and they would seem like a huge insider. Instead it gets clouded with speculation, hedging, and just general guessing. Take them with a grain of salt. They’ll get something totally right one day but don’t know what to do with their free time in between so they just post to post. Like that above Al post. It says nothing. 

My biggest peeve of them. They tweet so much and say so little. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

lol maybe but it started because the als cheesy beef account retweeted a bunch of corbin burnes hype videos that were old so I figured something could be up there. Then homeboy @Orlando found the reddit thread.

Yup it started because of the Al’s random retweets and then I searched Corbin Burnes on Twitter and I found a bunch of people talking about a Reddit thread. 

• Quin locked this topic