the old Corbin Burnes thread, we have a new Burnes thread

bmags

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Baseball Prospectus apparently has Madrigal ranked as the #12 overall prospect.  The last time they overhyped a White Sox prospect they we’re moved in a major trade 🤔

Also, since I I haven’t seen it posted elsewhere, Vaughn was ranked #14, Crochet #36, & Kopech #37.  Nice to see Garrett getting a ranking he deserves.

They love Madrigal, that's for sure. 

Jeremy Reed?  Anthony Webster?   (Okay, we'll just go with Weems.)

At least it wasn't a Phil Rogers, White Sox PR special.

And this thread should go back to being called the Corbin Bernsen/Roger Dorn (Major League) one until we can secure an actual, legitimate rumor to substantiate it...

Edited by caulfield12

10 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

If they don't sign or trade for anyone, do they have a choice?

They don't have a choice but to put Lopez in the pen IMO.  It's a coaching issue.  He needs extra attention and you can't make a zillion mound visits any more.  He also takes too damn long between pitches.  They really need to get him right before they do anything else.

Baby steps.

• 7 months later...
On 1/19/2021 at 5:44 PM, SoCalChiSox said:

Harold is saying it will take even more than Madrigal and Kelley. That already is alot. If he's suggesting Kopech or Vaughn too that would be horrific. 

So here's the original Burnes thread. Sound like it was Madrigal + Kelly + Kopech/Vaughn to get Burnes.

On 1/19/2021 at 8:45 PM, Flash said:

Like I said, I don't have respective contract info to compare so allow me to revise my statement. If a game needs to be won, I'll take Burnes and you can have Gio. I know thats not very scientific but Burnes is the better pitcher. Only time will tell but you come up with the metrics for '21 and I'll put my money where my mouth is. 

On 1/19/2021 at 8:47 PM, raBBit said:

Flash is not crazy. Burnes has tip, top potential for a starter. In a 100 simulations, there are a few where he has a Max Scherzer like career-arc.

That said, Burnes has not accomplished anything to be valued equally to Giolito but Burnes is cheaper and has more control so he they may actually be on the same level with value. Burnes' upside is tremendous.

Score one for Flash. 

• Like 1

This thread had some excellent Orlando Als cheesy Beef interplay.

Here's something fun. Let's check out the 4th round of the 2016 MLB Draft. 

The Brewers got Burnes
The Padres got Lucchesi
The Indians got Bieber
The Red Sox got Dalbec

The White Sox got Jameson Fisher

In the 3rd round
The As got Sean Murphy
The Orioles got Austin Hays
The Dbacks got Jon Duplantier
The Nats got Jesus Luzardo
The Cards got Zac Gallen
The Dodgers got Dustin May
The Padres got Mason Thompson
The Astros got Jake Rogers

The White Sox got Alex Call

😥

On 1/21/2021 at 11:41 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

Baseball Prospectus apparently has Madrigal ranked as the #12 overall prospect.  The last time they overhyped a White Sox prospect they we’re moved in a major trade 🤔

Also, since I I haven’t seen it posted elsewhere, Vaughn was ranked #14, Crochet #36, & Kopech #37.  Nice to see Garrett getting a ranking he deserves.

This post aged well.

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2021 at 6:02 PM, Flash said:

Guys - I've been banging the Burnes drum for months. Unfortunately I can't envision any scenario whereby Brewers trade him. That said, if he stays healthy (big if), he can put together a Shane Bieber like season. He is that fucking good. He's better than Giolito. What would it take for the Sox to consider trading Giolito? The answer to taht is where the package starts for Burnes.

On 1/19/2021 at 6:05 PM, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

This is a ridiculous take

On 1/19/2021 at 6:12 PM, Flash said:

So rediculous I'll happily wager based upon whatever metrics you want to measure by in 2020 AND 2021.

On 1/19/2021 at 6:21 PM, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

“What would it take for the Sox to consider trading Giolito? The answer to taht is where the package starts for Burnes”

this statement is completely asinine. it’s not even worth expanding upon because it is so ridiculous. 

And you know who else soxtalk fell in love with last winter because he had “great stuff”? Jon Gray. I haven’t heard his name mentioned much this winter though.

On 1/19/2021 at 6:23 PM, Flash said:

Put your money where your mouth is

On 1/19/2021 at 6:29 PM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I could see Crochet and Vaughn as the 2 headliners. Maybe too much ? But I view Crochet differently than others here. I say if any GM views him as a future stud SP deal him.

On 1/19/2021 at 6:29 PM, Flash said:

I'm not just proclaiming it. I'll bet on it.

On 1/19/2021 at 6:38 PM, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Burnes DOES NOT have greater than or even equal trade value to Giolito as we stand today, 1/19/21, as your post stated. He simply does not.

On 1/19/2021 at 6:45 PM, YourWhatHurts said:

IP, ERA, BB/9, K/9, H/9, WHIP, official ranking in Cy Young voting

I want to see 200+IP out of an ace.  And in honesty, it's not fair to expect that out of Burnes, so I don't think 2021 is really the year.  

Maybe in peripherals Burnes can be a bit better in 150IP than Gio in 200+ but that's not a better pitcher.

On 1/19/2021 at 6:45 PM, Flash said:

Like I said, I don't have respective contract info to compare so allow me to revise my statement. If a game needs to be won, I'll take Burnes and you can have Gio. I know thats not very scientific but Burnes is the better pitcher. Only time will tell but you come up with the metrics for '21 and I'll put my money where my mouth is. 

On 1/19/2021 at 6:47 PM, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Nope. You said a trade package to acquire Burnes STARTS with a Giolito type return. You’re nuts

On 1/19/2021 at 7:26 PM, Flash said:

Look...obviously I'm a huge Burnes fan. For me, he's the single most impactful pitcher we could possible acquire. He started 2020 in the pen and once he figured it out, he was money...as good or better than DeGrom across most metrics. In my judgement, if we somehow got him, we become odds on favorites to win it all. The comparison to Giolito is to provide perspective on what a potential trade package might look like. Obviously no one is advocating we trade Gio a package headlined by a Madrigal/Lopez/won't interest the Brewers any more than it would the Sox. Trade value aside though, in my opinion Burnes is the better pitcher and will outperform Gio in '21, assuming they both stay healthy. We can take it offline if anyone cares to wager. G'night.

On 1/19/2021 at 8:17 PM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Like I said I view Crochet as a great arm no doubt about that. But it's his future I have doubts about. If you look at it from the perspective that he has a much better chance of being a reliever than a starter it all of a sudden becomes not terrible. You could also think of him as a much higher risk of arm surgery to shoulder or elbow considering how hard he throws even if it looks effortless . If I put everything together,  decent risk of arm surgery, still at least until 2023 whens he's capable of giving you 150+ innings as a starter and that's if everything goes right in 21 and 22 , then I think I am being objective when looking at Crochet and not just salivating over his arm.

On 1/19/2021 at 8:19 PM, southsider2k5 said:

Yet, we are going to pencil in Burnes for whole seasons?

On 1/20/2021 at 12:18 AM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He's got to start somewhere. He couldn't last year and neither could any other pitcher. If Cease or Kopech had the kind of season Burnes did we would all be ecstatic that they had finally turned the corner. Burnes did as well as he possibly could last year, He came in 6th in the Cy Young voting. Just because he isn't a veteran doesn't mean he can't continue to do that .

The trip has to start some time. Perhaps we can get in on the ride early and take it to the finish line while he still can be had for projected prospects rather than a boatload of cash that the Sox never pay pitchers. Of course it takes a leap of faith but with 1 great  MLB season (that he had nothing to do with the amount of innings he pitched) , that's still one more than Cease , Kopech and Crochet have had and Crochet never had one in college either.

On 1/20/2021 at 6:44 AM, southsider2k5 said:

We aren't in "start somewhere " mode.

The irony of course is that Kopech has a more recent season where he has hit 140 IP, yet no one thinks he is ready for a full seasons worth of innings.

On 1/20/2021 at 7:21 AM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think counting on Cease or Kopech to duplicate what Burnes already appears to be is a bigger gamble. So whatever that mode is, if you are willing to ride it out this year and next that's ok with me. However the Sox have appeared all off season that they are still looking to find more cost controlled high upside pitching so I would imagine a trade of that nature would bother you depending on who we gave up .

2 years off is a long time to just pick up where you left off. I'd be thrilled with 100 innings from Kopech. And I wouldn't trade him or Cease over Crochet.

On 1/20/2021 at 1:58 PM, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

It’s like some here want to trade Kopech at his lowest value and trade for Burnes at his highest. That’s not a great way of building sustained success. I’m sure some will argue that Kopech’s value COULD go lower yet still and Burnes’ value COULD go higher but IMO it’s more likely that Kopech’s value rises from here while Burnes’ falls.

Flash did very good, others not so much. Burnes has proven to the doubters he is a stud. Luckily Sox got Rodon for a much cheaper price than Burnes would have cost and Lynn was also resigned. Madrigal, Heuer and Pilkington ( not mentioned anywhere in this thread) are all gone now for moves made to improve the Sox in the short term that have yet to work out in the shortest portion of hoped for impact. . Burnes has 5+ WAR and is at 152 IP. Is he slowing down at all or missed any starts ? There was a decent amount of concern about how many innings he could go this year in this thread.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bmags said:

This thread had some excellent Orlando Als cheesy Beef interplay.

The Brewers got Burnes
The Padres got Lucchesi
The Indians got Bieber
The Red Sox got Dalbec

In the 3rd round
The As got Sean Murphy
The Cards got Zac Gallen
The Padres got Mason Thompson
The Astros got Jake Rogers

The White Sox got Alex Call

😥

Yeah, BUT Alex Call got us Yonder Alonso, which speaks for itself.

5 hours ago, bmags said:

The Brewers got Burnes
The Padres got Lucchesi
The Indians got Bieber
The Red Sox got Dalbec

In the 3rd round
The As got Sean Murphy
The Cards got Zac Gallen