NFL 2021 offseason thread

36 minutes ago, scs787 said:

A center eh? I really liked what I saw from Mustipher, Daniels is gonna be back, and Cody is definitely a guy. Idk how your board fell but I'd def be looking elsewhere that high. 

Yea didn't catch that, another OT would be nice at that pick.  There's a fair amount of OTs that are intriguing that should be available in rounds 2-3, if we get a chance to move back from 20 to grab another 2nd or 3rd if no one drops in the draft I would certainly prefer that route.  The OT and WR depth is too juicy in those rounds not to take advantage.

1 hour ago, knightni said:

If the Bears can't move up to 14 and get a QB (Lance/Jones), they should move down to 31 or so and then try to get Trask in the 2nd/3rd.

I don't want to make the #1 pick a CB after they foolishly released Fuller due to cap issues.

CB still makes a ton of sense if there isn't an OT worth reaching for. The top end of the CB class looks really good.

Bears signed Marquise Goodwin to a 1 year deal. That's kinda fun. He took last year off for the birth of his child (/covid?)... Guy is a legit track star and maybe working with a guy like ARob, who is one of the best route runners in the league, will help get him more around that 2017 production. 

There's some potential there on offense. Really hope Mooney and Kmet take the next step. 

• Haha 1

WR LSU
    OT Notre Dame
    CB UCF

QB Texas A&M
    DT BYU

S Georgia

WR Stanford

LB Boston College

• 2022 MIA 2nd
Damn that simulator is fun and is addicting. I did decently for trading out of the first round.
  • Like 1

I'd be super stoked with this. Mills has grown on me a lot and I find it unlikely he's there that late, but I traded up to get him. Trask was there too and I'd be alright going that direction as well, especially since I was somehow able to snag Toney in the 2nd.

Screenshot_20210417-072846.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, knightni said:

I like Trask better than Mond or Mills, but that's my personal opinion.

One thing that worries me about Trask is Florida fans like edsbs talking about how with Toney and Pitts he was consistently failing to lead them and would have to have them sit. But I do like how despite his average arm he has not converted to just being dink and dunk and consistently tries to push it.

Interesting stuff to talk about with a week to go. 

https://fansided.com/2021/04/21/dolphins-2021-nfl-draft-best-players/

So in this article, Lombardo throws down that the Falcons are obsessed with Pitts at 4, and know that the dolphins are obsessed with him at 6. This may make like a scenario where we have.

1 QB
2 QB
3 QB
4 Pitts
5 Chase? Sewell?
6 Chase? Smith? Waddell?
7 Caroina

So, basically I illustrate this to show a - more likely than described weeks ago - scenario where at pick 7 there are still two top QBs. The rumory rumorvilles has all pointed to Jones at #3, but that could be smoke, just unclear what benefit SF still has in throwing smoke when the Jets/Jags are near set and nobody is likely to move ahead of them. So, again, in theory we see a possibility of Lance & Fields available starting at 7.

So at that point, we can check out the article from Fishbain.

https://theathletic.com/2529724/2021/04/20/could-the-bears-trade-up-in-the-nfl-draft-for-a-quarterback-again/

"Nos. 7 or 8: Detroit Lions or Carolina Panthers

Proposal: Bears trade pick Nos. 20 and 52 in 2021 and a 2022 second-round pick to the Panthers for No. 8."

That seems like a much more realistic trade to pull off for Pace than a leap to 4 and providing a package similar to what the 9ers gave up. But you'd also be fighting against the Broncos or Pats for the team getting to drop just a bit of position for a 3rd round pick or so. I don't see this happening without 2 firsts, but regardless, getting Fields would be worth it to me, but Lance, who knows.

This likely means Lance is amazing. Or they'll both suck. Who knows!

• Like 1

in that draft simulator ended with a run that left me with a choice between going tackle with Brady Christianson (there was a run on OTs just before in 3rd round) or Amon-Ra St Brown (whom I went with).

So I had Fields and St. Brown, then no 4th round pick, so a lot riding on Goodwin and our oline progress being real. But i'd be 100% supportive!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

in that draft simulator ended with a run that left me with a choice between going tackle with Brady Christianson (there was a run on OTs just before in 3rd round) or Amon-Ra St Brown (whom I went with).

So I had Fields and St. Brown, then no 4th round pick, so a lot riding on Goodwin and our oline progress being real. But i'd be 100% supportive!

Well that would certainly be interesting, getting Fields would be fun but so many holes to fill.

Last sim I just did...

39.Alex Leatherwood OT Alabama
52.Ronnie Perkins EDGE Oklahoma
64.Rondale Moore WR Purdue
73.Liam Eichenberg OT Notre Dame
83.Davis Mills QB Stanford
100.Tommy Togiai DT Ohio State

I honestly would have more optimism with that, though the number of trades that it takes makes this probably unrealistic.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bigruss said:

Well that would certainly be interesting, getting Fields would be fun but so many holes to fill.

Last sim I just did...

39.Alex Leatherwood OT Alabama
52.Ronnie Perkins EDGE Oklahoma
64.Rondale Moore WR Purdue
73.Liam Eichenberg OT Notre Dame
83.Davis Mills QB Stanford
100.Tommy Togiai DT Ohio State

I honestly would have more optimism with that, though the number of trades that it takes makes this probably unrealistic.

Yeah I've been doing the heavy trade back scenarios of which there are probably way more available in that game than realistic, however, there's a lot of times I like it but think I just like these guys more because I've done 100 mock drafts on this thing and start to like certain names.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Yeah I've been doing the heavy trade back scenarios of which there are probably way more available in that game than realistic, however, there's a lot of times I like it but think I just like these guys more because I've done 100 mock drafts on this thing and start to like certain names.

LOL I was thinking the same thing, talking myself into a few that I like a lot because there always around my picks.

1 minute ago, bigruss said:

LOL I was thinking the same thing, talking myself into a few that I like a lot because there always around my picks.

Here's a nice double-dip draft. Bears should def consider this insane strategy.

Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 12.22.07 PM.png

• Like 1

30. Patrick Surtain II CB Alabama
52. Ronnie Perkins EDGE Oklahoma
53. Liam Eichenberg OT Notre Dame
61. Elijah Moore WR Mississippi
102. Davis Mills QB Stanford

Surtain fell hard, then had to trade all of day 3 picks and a '21 4th to get Mills.

50 minutes ago, bigruss said:

30. Patrick Surtain II CB Alabama
52. Ronnie Perkins EDGE Oklahoma
53. Liam Eichenberg OT Notre Dame
61. Elijah Moore WR Mississippi
102. Davis Mills QB Stanford

Surtain fell hard, then had to trade all of day 3 picks and a '21 4th to get Mills.

I wish we could set the top 3 before letting it go.

I really hope Lance and Fields are there when Panthers pick. If they are - feels like a great scenario for Bears to battle with Denver, Washington and New England for right to leap frog everyone else? Is there a team I am missing in the QB hunt or is it basically those teams after Jags, Jets and Niners pick. 

I am obviously assuming Falcons go a different direction. Maybe the Eagles is the other squad I am missing? But with them having moved around - seems like they arent jumping for a qb (yet)? 

I will go on record I would love getting Fields or Lance and at 8 I think you are to point you are talking 2 1sts and not much more than that. Probably can keep most other picks too. 

Take your shot at young qb - knowing next years class doesn’t look great - Plus the bears cap situation gets a ton better in a year. 

Cap naturally goes up - plus

Dalton / Foles - full flexibility 

Graham - no cap hit 

Mack - better position if you want to move

Robinson - extend or trade - either way cap benefit 

I am sure I am forgetting other things - but things would start looking a lot better even without a first round pick - especially if whomever they drafted showed promise (and would have 3-4 more cheap years left). 

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-orleans-saints/post/_/id/34139/why-its-so-hard-to-find-developmental-qbs-in-the-nfl-drafts-middle-rounds

For whomever tells me - just draft a QB in rd 2 or 3 - I say forget that.  I am okay with it - cause why not take a chance - but I'd rather we draft more first round QB's than just continue to ignore the position and say - we need to draft a bunch of olineman first or something else.