The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

2 minutes ago, JoeyCoralFanClub said:

I actually don't think there is much demand for Rick Hahns services.  The guy has won as many playoff series as all the posters on Sox Talk.  Lets hope that changes after this year though. 

Where is your proof?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

For comparison, this is what they did last year.

Wow, so a little worse in 1 run games, but much better in close games decided by 2-5 runs.  This year's record looks propped up by a 10-2 record in blowouts all the more now.

5 minutes ago, JoeyCoralFanClub said:

I actually don't think there is much demand for Rick Hahns services.  The guy has won as many playoff series as all the posters on Sox Talk.  Lets hope that changes after this year though. 

For all we know Hahn doesn't want to relocate his family or really wants to see his rebuild through despite having his hands tied by ownership.  We actually don't know anything of the level to which he may or may not be in demand by other organizations.

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

Wow, so a little worse in 1 run games, but much better in close games decided by 2-5 runs.  This year's record looks propped up by a 10-2 record in blowouts all the more now.

Essentially if we aren't blowing teams out, we are pretty mediocre this year.  <5 runs is 16-17 (.485).  >5 runs is 10-2 (.833).  Last year was 25-20 (.556) on the under, and 10-5 (.667) on the over.  We just happened to have played a larger portion of our games as blow outs, probably corresponding to the weak schedule to start the season. (25% over 5 runs in 20, vs 26.7% in 21.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Essentially if we aren't blowing teams out, we are pretty mediocre this year.  <5 runs is 16-17 (.485).  >5 runs is 10-2 (.833).  Last year was 25-20 (.556) on the under, and 10-5 (.667) on the over.  We just happened to have played a larger portion of our games as blow outs, probably corresponding to the weak schedule to start the season. (25% over 5 runs in 20, vs 26.7% in 21.)

It's a really bad sign when the strength of your team is starting pitching.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

16-17 (.485) in games decided by 5 runs or less.  With 5 or so games a better manager probably doesn't blow.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JoeyCoralFanClub said:

Not trying to pick a fight. Just seeing if the other guy had any legit info that other teams are blowing up Rick Hahns LinkedIn profile. 

Still waiting on your receipts regarding me claiming to have insider knowledge of padres financials. Guess proof only matters for other posters. 

Rick has had some struggles, but he'd find a job very quickly if he quit this one.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Blow outs are really good, just as an fyi.

But you are less likely to have them against good teams, and since we want to be a playoff team, learning how to beat good teams is kind of important.

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Still waiting on your receipts regarding me claiming to have insider knowledge of padres financials. Guess proof only matters for other posters. 

Rick has had some struggles, but he'd find a job very quickly if he quit this one.

And let's be honest here, if fans can see what it is like working for JR,  you KNOW other owners know it.  If Rick could put this team together even having the yolks of Jerry's restrictions, imagine what he could do with some more breathing room.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

But you are less likely to have them against good teams, and since we want to be a playoff team, learning how to beat good teams is kind of important.

I understand, but winning 1 run games really isn't a "skill" imo. I tend to think you'll play to your overall win% in 1 run games over a large enough sample. Maybe an elite closer or bullpen helps a little, and not having bozo the clown as manager but I dont think a team who leads baseball in blowouts will for some reason struggle in close games.

25 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I understand, but winning 1 run games really isn't a "skill" imo. I tend to think you'll play to your overall win% in 1 run games over a large enough sample. Maybe an elite closer or bullpen helps a little, and not having bozo the clown as manager but I dont think a team who leads baseball in blowouts will for some reason struggle in close games.

But if you are under-performing your winning percentage by a margin over the longer haul, then you start to look at reasons why.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Where is your proof?

Ha. Maybe my proof is that he is still employed by an organization that didn't even trust him to hire his own manager??

Extraordinary claims like tons of franchises are clamoring for Rick Hahns services need evidence in my book. Or maybe we are all just making shit up here..

45 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

But if you are under-performing your winning percentage by a margin over the longer haul, then you start to look at reasons why.

But is this really the "longer haul?"

There's so much noise in 1 run games over even an entire year. You'll often see teams that overachieve significantly often times do so because they won a lot of 1 run games - the Orioles a few years back are one great example. Were the Orioles actually good at that, or were they just the beneficiary of the randomness that is 1 run games; after all, as with any curve with 30 teams you're bound to have some who outperform and under perform quite a bit.

13 minutes ago, JoeyCoralFanClub said:

Ha. Maybe my proof is that he is still employed by an organization that didn't even trust him to hire his own manager??

Extraordinary claims like tons of franchises are clamoring for Rick Hahns services need evidence in my book. Or maybe we are all just making shit up here..

But extraordinary claims like no one wanting him, despite a team being publicly revealed to be interested in giving him a significant promotion in the last year, aren't just making shit up?  lol, ok.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

But extraordinary claims like no one wanting him, despite a team being publicly revealed to be interested in giving him a significant promotion in the last year, aren't just making shit up?  lol, ok.

I wonder why more teams don’t go after Paddy, as he’s the linchpin for LA evaluations and the majority of signings.

32 minutes ago, JoeyCoralFanClub said:

I know you're not being completely serious with that comment but Jerry gonna Jerry.

3 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

I know you're not being completely serious with that comment but Jerry gonna Jerry.

More importantly, not everyone let's emotion get the best of them and walk out of a bad situation without a back up plan.  We have no idea if Rick has put out feelers or something since then, or even if teams have begun contacting him thinking that he might be willing to jump now where he wasn't before.

7 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I spoke in generalities and when you do that of course you can pick out instances where it isn't true. That is common sense. Plus I also said LaRussa isnt a good manager so that also applies.  I never said LaRussa handled the BP perfectly I just that his options are limited. If you want perfection it can't be found. Things do vary from series to series as you pointed out .

Maybe Bummer and Hendricks just need more work to get back into a groove and the others less but it still hurts not having Kopech and Crochet when you need them more than you need the Foster, Ruiz, Marshall, Heuer. Maybe get Detwiler back for a multiple inning role to free Kopech . But if you free Kopech for a more prominent late inning role, he won't be prepping for a late season role as a starter. But as of now if you want to win more games Kopech should be used in a  different role and once the Sox grab another reliever and get Robert and Jimenez back you can think about getting him to starting if they need him for that. Crochet will still be babied to keep his arm healthy butmaybe soon they start giving him more innings. We have no idea what the Sox are actually doing with him this season.

Kopech is more needed as a reliever than as a starter. Use him more close games.

1) There's actually a lot to like about a Rodon extension.  Mechanics are cleaned up, he's already been through TJ and shoulder surgery and the stuff is already back, lots of MLB experience but not the kind of workload such an experienced SP would normally have due to all the injuries, the org and coaches know all there is to know about him, he's still young, his contract is unlikely to take him well beyond what should be his prime in number of years even if the AAV is pretty high, and he also seems to fit in very well here as a teammate and with Katz.  Oh and he's the only good LHSP we have.  Even Crochet isn't going to be part of the rotation until 2023 IMO.

2) Hard Carl will ROFLMAO at a QO.  We will get a draft pick.  For what this guy is doing on the mound, no GM is going to give a fuck about losing a pick to sign this guy.  Of course this is assuming he stays healthy and pitches like this for a full season.

3) Reinsdorf isn't going to put up the big money.  If Carlos keep s this up, He Gawn.  And to the Dodgers prolly just because.

Random thought from a never was a fan of LaRussa:

Bad bullpens make managers look bad.

Great bullpens help win World Championships for guys like Ned Yost.

If this bullpen was anything close to as advertised, TLR would be looking much more like a HOF Manager.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

1) There's actually a lot to like about a Rodon extension.  Mechanics are cleaned up, he's already been through TJ and shoulder surgery and the stuff is already back, lots of MLB experience but not the kind of workload such an experienced SP would normally have due to all the injuries, the org and coaches know all there is to know about him, he's still young, his contract is unlikely to take him well beyond what should be his prime in number of years even if the AAV is pretty high, and he also seems to fit in very well here as a teammate and with Katz.  Oh and he's the only good LHSP we have.  Even Crochet isn't going to be part of the rotation until 2023 IMO.

2) Hard Carl will ROFLMAO at a QO.  We will get a draft pick.  For what this guy is doing on the mound, no GM is going to give a fuck about losing a pick to sign this guy.  Of course this is assuming he stays healthy and pitches like this for a full season.

3) Reinsdorf isn't going to put up the big money.  If Carlos keep s this up, He Gawn.  And to the Dodgers prolly just because.

That would be a best case scenario for us.