The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

Did Yermin leave a bunch of guys on base today? Yes.

However, competent lineup construction could have mitigated that problem. You don't bat someone who is as struggling and injured as Eaton second. If you feel the need to sac bunt with your #2 hitter in the 3rd inning, you have the wrong guy batting #2. Compounding the problem is then Hamilton has to go in for him and then he has to sac bunt from the #2 slot.

Not pinch hitting Grandal for Collins in a 1-run game is really bad, unless Grandal is hurt and we don't know it. Not having Grandal in the lineup to begin with when the opposing pitcher hands out walks like candy is suspect to begin with.

Mercedes has been struggling for a while and Vaughn should have been batting 5th.

Hopefully a second rehab start for Engel is enough and he can be back tomorrow and Eaton can go rest for 10 days.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Absolute horse shit today with the bunting.  Figure it out.

I agree and I'm really surprised that you're one of the only ones who's upset enough about it to post about it in the TLR thread. To me, giving away 4 outs in a single game is just as bad as any of his in-game blunders with the bullpen/forgetting rules

5 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I agree and I'm really surprised that you're one of the only ones who's upset enough about it to post about it in the TLR thread. To me, giving away 4 outs in a single game is just as bad as any of his in-game blunders with the bullpen/forgetting rules

The bunting was asinine IMO and more proof of how bad TLR is in game, but that was only part why they lost today.  I can't muster the outrage post-game when they went 0-10 w/ RISP and left 13 on.  Everyone was bad today sans Rodon.

7 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I really DGAF about most the bullpen moves.  Other than trying to steal outs with a shitty reliever I'm not going to critique most of them.  Even not using the closer in a tie game is something I'm fairly ambivalent about.

But giving away this many outs is awful.  I get trying to manufacture a run down a one late in the 9th and MAYBE the 8th, but this was the early and middle innings.

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

This can't be right - I thought the Sox were amongst the lead leaders in baseball last year at sac bunts.  

That was 2017-2019 (I'm assuming). In 2020, I do remember that the bunting pretty much stopped

17 hours ago, tray said:

What assumptions?

The replay of the home run that includes Yermin peering down for the take sign  and ignoring it?

That Yermin showed up late for a game as he had done in the past with other teams ?

Did you read the article or do you simply want to make things personal ?

Yup pity didactic.

14 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Yup pity didactic.

lol he keeps saying this bullshit - but Yermin doesn't look towards the dug out long enough at any point to get a sign.

he only looks once the entire at bat and its like less than a second - there was no fucking sign.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

lol he keeps saying this bullshit - but Yermin doesn't look towards the dug out long enough at any point to get a sign.

he only looks once the entire at bat and its like less than a second - there was no fucking sign.

Ding ding ding.

29 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

There was a verbal direction to take.  Joe assumed Yermin heard it or had the common sense not to  swing. ding ding.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, tray said:

There was a verbal direction to take.  Joe assumed Yermin heard it or had the common sense not to  swing. ding ding.

Just think for a little bit that makes no sense.

you really think they were so worried about the fat position player pitching that they yelled "take" at yermin at any point?

C'mon man no way lol.  That is just not believable.

they didnt expect yermin to swing 3-0... but no one told him anything...

no one really was thinking about it or gave a shit.. but after he hit a home run then they ran into PR mode

Edited by harkness99

He got the take sign and chose to ignore it. That was the issue.

Tony was mad that he ignored the sign because a lot of his players saw it. 

Mercedes still has not apologized. Instead, he says that he plays HIS game.  It's all about him.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, tray said:

Mercedes still has not apologized. Instead, he says that he plays HIS game.  It's all about him.

Tony said he MISSED the sign. I don't know why you keep repeating this lie.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, tray said:

Why are you even talking about this still? Are you attempting to reach the Soxtalk Hall of Fame List?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sox80 said:

He's definitely missing the point.  That's fine he doesn't care.  It's not up to him to decide for other people.  Not only that , they dedicated it to that lady. What exactly did she do to deserve to lose it. At the very least it's bad taste in my opinion.  If that's ok with certain people on here. 

He didn't miss the point, he doesn't want to get it. Big difference. 

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He didn't miss the point, he doesn't want to get it. Big difference. 

correct.  Didn’t miss it, just don’t care.  Understand it, but don’t agree.  Im sorry this thread hasn’t been a big echo chamber for you.

22 minutes ago, Green Line said:

correct.  Didn’t miss it, just don’t care.  Understand it, but don’t agree.  Im sorry this thread hasn’t been a big echo chamber for you.

If you didn't care you wouldn't be making a dozen posts about it

• Like 2

Per Jason's closing this thread, there has been some cleaning up done.

-The political stuff is gone, let's keep it that way.

-The TLR thread is back to being about Tony and his management of the team.

-There was also separated out the thread to do with the renaming of Lorretta's Lounge, as while it involved Tony indirectly, it really isn't anything he did to apply to this thread.

-Keep it under control in the two existing threads, or face time off potentially.

• Like 1

What has he done well?

Manage the starters? Not really. Even though they've been great.

Manage the bullpen? No.

Shifts? Absolutely not.

Lineups? Uh, no.

Pinch hitting? Nope.

Giving away outs by being one of a handful of managers in baseball that doesn't understand why sac bunts are trash? Bingo!

• Like 4
  • Love 1