Grandal Vs. McCann

Tomtom

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, on the Sox scale.  Definitely not for the so-called top 10-12 organizations in baseball, historically.

Even the Cardinals are showing no fear adding guys like Goldschmidt and Arenado.

Nobody would mistake our Sox for one of the top 10-12.  They aren't the Cardinals or the coastal powerhouses, for sure.  They paid big. 

14 hours ago, Stinky Stanky said:

OBP never looked this invalid before.  The advantage of having him bat second is if TA is on  base, the 2B can't shift to short right field.  The disadvantage is DP's galore.  This is not what the Sox paid for.  And they paid big.

They paid market, actually.  Which is what is required to sign top of the line free agents.  Which everyone bitches that the Sox don't do.  Can't have it both ways.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the pettiness in bumping this, but this thread was always ridiculous and it's nice to see Grandal finally getting his due from some of the naysayers:

Grandal: .400 OBP, .833 OPS, 143 wRC+, 1.4 fWAR

McCann: .291 OBP, .658 OPS, 88 wRC+, 0.1 fWAR

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2
  • Fire 3

1 minute ago, wegner said:

Someone said when we signed him that many here would not like Grandal because he was such a streaky hitter...but when he gets hot and now he seems healthier....me likey.

I think my favorite part about him is that while he's obviously streaky, even his "bad" streaks are pretty good. Much like Moncada, you can always count on him to at least get on base. When (historically) Abreu or (this season) Mercedes are in their own funks, they're pretty much useless until they snap out of it

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I think my favorite part about him is that while he's obviously streaky, even his "bad" streaks are pretty good. Much like Moncada, you can always count on him to at least get on base. When (historically) Abreu or (this season) Mercedes are in their own funks, they're pretty much useless until they snap out of it

Vaughn will be another one of those guys soon as well.  Those guys are fucking great. They burn through pitchers as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Vaughn will be another one of those guys soon as well.  Those guys are fucking great. They burn through pitchers as well.

Agreed. I think it's @ChiSox59 who has said it a few times, but I really can't think of a better fit for this lineup in all of baseball than Grandal. He complements the Abreu/Anderson types perfectly, and Vaughn will surely evolve into that too (just wish he was a lefty, but he'll mash regardless)

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

Agreed. I think it's @ChiSox59 who has said it a few times, but I really can't think of a better fit for this lineup in all of baseball than Grandal. He complements the Abreu/Anderson types perfectly, and Vaughn will surely evolve into that too (just wish he was a lefty, but he'll mash regardless)

Not making outs matters and the Sox have a core of guys now that don't make a lot of outs.  Eloy is also the perfect compliment to those guys when he comes back.  Walk and a blast, rinse repeat.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Sorry for the pettiness in bumping this, but this thread was always ridiculous and it's nice to see Grandal finally getting his due from some of the naysayers:

Grandal has a higher wRC+ than everyone except Yoan right now. And Yoan's batting average doubles his right now. It's actually pretty funny. Moncada is already one of the league leaders in walk rate and Grandal somehow has a similar OBP despite hitting .150. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

The McStans always had an irrational hate for Grandal and it’s good to see them in the wrong

• Like 3

This debate has always been dumb. It’s almost like Grandal has a track record of being good and continues being good. I also don’t like how it puts people like me who have always preferred Grandal into the position of bashing McCann. McCann is a good guy, has always been a pro‘s pro and is a decent player, I hope he continues to improve.

btw. If Grandal had a normal BABIP and not this historically low one of .123, he would be included in AL MVP discussions, that’s how crazy good he has been despite the BABIP gods hating him.

Edited by GermanSoxFan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

This debate has always been dumb. It’s almost like Grandal has a track record of being good and continues being good. I also don’t like how it puts people like me who have always preferred Grandal into the position of bashing McCann. McCann is a good guy, has always been a pro‘s pro and is a decent player, I hope he continues to improve.

btw. If Grandal had a normal BABIP and not this historically low one of .123, he would be included in AL MVP discussions, that’s how crazy good he has been despite the BABIP gods hating him.

I think the shift + Grandal's bum knee not allowing him to elevate the ball is what was causing his BABIP to be that atrocious. I'm pretty sure he was unable to do anything except hit grounders to the right side from the left side of the plate. He went opposite field maybe a handful of times all year before today. So while his BABIP is unsustainably low and he probably was unlucky, it wasn't a complete coincidence. When the other team knows exactly where you'll hit every time and they can play a rover outfielder, it doesn't matter how hard you hit the ball if you don't elevate it. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, chw42 said:

I think the shift + Grandal's bum knee not allowing him to elevate the ball is what was causing his BABIP to be that atrocious. I'm pretty sure he was unable to do anything except hit grounders to the right side from the left side of the plate. He went opposite field maybe a handful of times all year before today. So while his BABIP is unsustainably low and he probably was unlucky, it wasn't a complete coincidence. When the other team knows exactly where you'll hit every time and they can play a rover outfielder, it doesn't matter how hard you hit the ball if you don't elevate it. 

His GB rate as a righty hitter is 30% (extremely low) and 49% as a lefty (quite high). 

Maybe it really is that he can't properly "block" with his front  knee as a lefty so that he is drifting and rolling over. 

Hopefully that can get better this year. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2021 at 3:45 PM, harkness99 said:

some of that is true for sure - but I really don't agree that Jose has a good handle on the strike zone.

He has great plate coverage and is good at fouling off some tough pitches at time.... but he swings at lots of bad pitches.

Jose is a smart hitter so he guesses right a lot - but he never has had a good eye.

Nobody else wants to touch this Abreu hot take? Yeah the Reigning MVP has a bad eye for the strike zone.. goodness 🤦🏽‍♂.

1 hour ago, Chisoxmb35 said:

Nobody else wants to touch this Abreu hot take? Yeah the Reigning MVP has a bad eye for the strike zone.. goodness 🤦🏽‍♂.

He never has... and he is still that good which is pretty amazing.  He has some moments where he shows better discipline than others - but his strength has never been his eye.

He is more of a free swinger.  His career high is 51 walks,.

What he has great plate coverage and he is good at knowing what the picture is trying to do to him.

I'm not saying he isn't a great hitter -it's just not his game.  You can still be someone who swings at everything and win mvps - see vlad guerrero.

If i had the energy to get your panties more bunched I could prob find all kinds of statistics that shows how he swings at pitches out of the strike zone over his career.

Edited by harkness99
  • Like 1

I think a couple posters have raised good points. I had the offseason plan a couple years ago highlighted with Grandal as being a great fit for our team. Sure there are times he has frustrated me but I give him credit for gutting the knee out when we really couldn’t afford another guy to go on the IL. Probably didn’t talk about it to not help the opposition. The walk rate might have been his way to still contribute something or not give away injury further. Wonder if a sleeve or brace might have helped though might have made catching harder.  Agree liking Grandal doesn’t mean u can’t like or pull for McCann  .  He was good for us and by all accounts a great teammate .

Jose does have streaks but sometimes I think his biggest problem is trying to do to much especially when other guys are out/struggling 

Edited by BamaDoc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BamaDoc said:

Jose does have streaks but sometimes I think his biggest problem is trying to do to much especially when other guys are out/struggling 

Agree with this completely. Think back to the playoffs last year when Abreu chased everything because he was caught in the moment trying to pick up his RBIs. Now he’s walking at a career high rate this year and I could see him maintaining a better BB% as he realizes he doesn’t need to be “the guy.” Probably gets better with his discipline when Eloy and Robert come back and give the lineup more power

13 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I’ve always been a big Grandal guy and did feel he was an absolutely perfect fit for this roster. Loved loved loved the signing. He’s been slightly disappointing overall, but he’s still easily a top 3-4 catcher in the game. Totally understand he can be a bit rough on the eyes, but he’s extremely valuable and even moreso on a very right handed hitting heavy lineup that overall struggles to take walks. He’s a perfect complementary piece.