"sticky substances"

Dominikk85

What should be Done on sticky substances   

94 members have voted

1. 1. Sticky substances

• Let pitchers go and it is a level playing field
    • Ban all substances and enforce it
    • Allow a standardized substance

This is "deceptive advertising". You lose all perspective on the relative difference by setting the range on the y-axis using the min/max values. While there is apparently a real effect, it amounts to a little over 4% reduction in spin rate. It would also be instructive to see the variability in spin rate over the course of an entire season. Say 2019, for example to see if this isn't some sort of natural recurring variation.

4 hours ago, oldsox said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but the only pitcher to go ape shit over the sticky inspections has been Schnerzer.  The rest of them seem to take it like a man.

Scherzer was rightfully upset because he was pulled off of the mound mid inning in a big spot on the game. He wasn’t mad at the umps but mad that Girardi was essentially icing him

• Thanks 1

The crack down is not giving MLB what they wanted.  Sure, runs are up, but it’s mostly walks and home runs.  Still plenty of strikeouts.  It’s like 3 pointers, HR’s are do much more valuable than everything else, the Fernando Tatis Jr. approach is the only one that makes sense.  A bunch of singles just leads to a bunch of LOB.

Also, HBP, and WPs are up.  I bet next year they allow an approved substance.

Edited by Timmy U

22 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

The crack down is not giving MLB what they wanted.  Sure, runs are up, but it’s mostly walks and home runs.  Still plenty of strikeouts.  It’s like 3 pointers, HR’s are do much more valuable than everything else, the Fernando Tatis Jr. approach is the only one that makes sense.  A bunch of singles just leads to a bunch of LOB.

what a disaster of a PR moment also. I can't wait to see how Boras tries to spin this in his binders this off-season. 

Edited by EloyJenkins

4 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

what a disaster of a PR moment also. I can't wait to see how Boras tries to spin this in his binders this off-season. 

Absolutely.  Imagine if 8 games into the season, the NFL announced they were changing the football.  That’s what this is like.  I think they had a plan and changed it after a couple of articles came out in the Athletic.

9 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Absolutely.  Imagine if 8 games into the season, the NFL announced they were changing the football.  That’s what this is like.  I think they had a plan and changed it after a couple of articles came out in the Athletic.

I think more accurately would be no longer letting QBs deflate footballs to get a better grip on them...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

It's not like that at all since that wasn't in the rules prior. The best time to enforce the rules was yesterday. The next best time is right now. Glad they took action, but it was too late.

2 hours ago, Timmy U said:

K% is about down one percentage point, that is pretty significant. Obviously the k rate didn't dive down a ton but 24 to 23% is something 

3 hours ago, Timmy U said:

I mean, a 10% increase in runs seems like exactly what MLB would want out of this.

On 7/6/2021 at 9:32 PM, EloyJenkins said:

Maybe Boras' spin rate will be down as well due to the crackdown!