Trea Turner

GreatScott82

Good luck.

They’re going to ask for Vaughn, Kopech and/or Crochet.

He’s not even a player of need unless we’re dumping Madrigal at 50-75 cents on the dollar.

Putting him at 2B just opens another huge hole in the lineup and/or future rotation.

And the Sox are never going to pay $225-250 million to keep him after next season, anyway.

Likely no team will put together an attractive enough package to entice Washington.  This goes into the offseason or next trade deadline.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Nats will hold him until offseason when the SS FA market opens potential other options like the Dodgers join the bidding. 

Uh when there are like 6 all star SS available in FA? Terrible idea

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eminor3rd said:

Do not have the bullets for this without subtracting from the MLB team, thus reducing the effectiveness of the add.

probably true.

But the most effective major league pieces that avoid this are a package around Madrigal, Crochet. Does a Madrigal, Crochet, Burger, Vera, and Kelley package get it done for Turner + Hudson? Probably not.

Seattle could bust out Julio Ramirez and it just busts it open. 

But if you replace Madrigal with either Vaughn or Kopech it probably gets you to the end.

It sorta reminds me of the 07-08 offseason where sox shouldn't really have been able to put a package together for Cabrera, nearly did, then a package that prospect-wise was superior in every way blew it out of the water, only to find out 5 years later that the sox package would have been the best for the marlins in terms of total major league value. 

40 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

well yes it will take a big package but obviously they aren't going to say " we are looking to move trea at any cost".

14 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Do not have the bullets for this without subtracting from the MLB team, thus reducing the effectiveness of the add.

I do want to say I am break my own rule on a competitive team of only add never subtract (from mlb roster), and so am likely wrong here.

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

It sorta reminds me of the 07-08 offseason where sox shouldn't really have been able to put a package together for Cabrera, nearly did, then a package that prospect-wise was superior in every way blew it out of the water, only to find out 5 years later that the sox package would have been the best for the marlins in terms of total major league value. 

If JR would have agreed to take on Dontrelle Willis's contract, Cabrera would have been a White Sox.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I do want to say I am break my own rule on a competitive team of only add never subtract (from mlb roster), and so am likely wrong here.

I think you can make an argument for this type of future-mortgaging thing if it pushes you over the top, but given that there are rental alternatives, I don't think it floats in this case. For example, is the team better in 2021 if it adds Turner but loses Vaughn and Crochet, or if it adds Escobar and loses nothing (only prospects)? I think it's clearly the latter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eminor3rd said:

I think you can make an argument for this type of future-mortgaging thing if it pushes you over the top, but given that there are rental alternatives, I don't think it floats in this case. For example, is the team better in 2021 if it adds Turner but loses Vaughn and Crochet, or if it adds Escobar and loses nothing (only prospects)? I think it's clearly the latter.

Well, if you can package Hudson in too, and avoid Kopech, it is closer. It really gets down to if there is any package that avoids Kopech and Vaughn and is still enough for Wash to me.

25 minutes ago, bmags said:

probably true.

But the most effective major league pieces that avoid this are a package around Madrigal, Crochet. Does a Madrigal, Crochet, Burger, Vera, and Kelley package get it done for Turner + Hudson? Probably not.

But if you replace Madrigal with either Vaughn or Kopech it probably gets you to the end.

Julio Rodriguez?  They can’t afford to give up 7 years for 1 1/2 if every scout is right on their appraisal.

31 minutes ago, bmags said:

probably true.

Wasn’t the White Sox’s package effectively garbage too? I remember Josh Fields was one of the main parts, who was the other?

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Julio Rodriguez?  They can’t afford to give up 7 years for 1 1/2 if every scout is right on their appraisal.

The M's can't give up 7.5 years of Julio Rodriguez but you say the return from the sox is Vaughn, Kopech and Crochet?  LOLZ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Wasn’t the White Sox’s package effectively garbage too? I remember Josh Fields was one of the main parts, who was the other?

Gio Gonzalez turned out to be the best player offered, there was a good review of all the rumored trade packages and the sox actually ended up in most future WAR, but miller probably surpassed that - not sure you'd count it since it was post marlins anyway.

but funny enough David Samson with his new podcast did a whole thing on this trade and the white sox weren't even mentioned:

https://www.fishstripes.com/2020/4/29/21241283/miguel-cabrera-trade-details-tigers-marlins-david-samson

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

It was something like Gio, Fields, one of Danks or Floyd.

Danks and Floyd were never in that, that’s why I remember the White Sox offer being weak too. But yeah, Google says Gio was the other piece and he was a decent player.

Nobody wanted Floyd at the time, that was the offseason someone here said they could hit Floyd.

4 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I wouldn't give up Madrigal really.

I'd hope to hell that they value Crochet. Start with him, and let them have the field in our minors, take anyone.

Sorry, I am not giving up Robert ...................................