Sox Acquire Kimbrel; Madrigal, Heuer to Cubs

Baron

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Which is wild, since you could argue that Heuer/Madrigal is as good as the Rizzo package, and they ate all of Rizzo's contract to get those prospects back from the Yankees.

The top relievers in baseball clearly are more valuable at the trade deadline than a 1b in an average year. The Cubs, for example, previously traded Gleyber Torres for a top reliever. The same year, the Guardians traded Clint Frazier for Andrew Miller, and the world series wound up practically as a duel between them. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I’d imagine the multiple injuries played a huge role. 

Agreed. I don't think this trade happens had he not been injured. Maybe a blessing in disguise. If the Sox win it this year and Kimbrel was a big reason why...then the trade will have been worth it. Even if Madrigal turns into one of the top 2B in the league.

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

Who decided you need an oft-injured slapdick 2B during your World Series window?

He's a .300 hitter who you have control over for many years, and Heuer showed what kind of reliever he can be last year and again you have control over for years.

There is a lot to dissect with this kimbrel addition. 

He will help this team to try and win this year

We can trade him in off season and get a haul

Or we can keep him and just have a lights out bullpen for 22

There are options here. The main being we try to win this year

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Goober said:

He's a .300 hitter who you have control over for many years, and Heuer showed what kind of reliever he can be last year and again you have control over for years.

I want to win, Goober. 

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The top relievers in baseball clearly are more valuable at the trade deadline than a 1b in an average year. The Cubs, for example, previously traded Gleyber Torres for a top reliever. The same year, the Guardians traded Clint Frazier for Andrew Miller, and the world series wound up practically as a duel between them. 

AHhhh yes, NO ONE could have possibly matched this unstoppable post-season numbers from Aroldis Chapman: How could any team possibly replace a guy with a 3.86 and 3.52 ERA in the two biggest series of the year. The entire Chapman narrative is a laughable joke. Nothing he did was irreplaceable. The world series was decided by the guys who performed in 95% of the innings, not the guy who was average at his job for 12 of them.

Year Age Tm Lg Series Rslt Opp W L W-L% ERA G GS GF CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W WPA cWPA

2016 28 CHC NL NLDS W SFG 0 0   2.70 4 0 3 0 0 3 3.1 3 1 1 0 1 0 7 0 0 0 14 1.200 8.1 0.0 2.7 18.9 7.00 -0.04 1.6%
2016 28 CHC NL NLCS W LAD 1 0 1.000 3.86 4 0 3 0 0 0 4.2 3 2 2 0 3 0 3 0 0 0 18 1.286 5.8 0.0 5.8 5.8 1.00 0.11 1.9%
2016 28 CHC NL WS W CLE 1 0 1.000 3.52 5 0 3 0 0 1 7.2 5 3 3 1 2 0 11 1 0 0 30 0.913 5.9 1.2 2.3 12.9 5.50 0.23

-20.1%

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

See everyone? Me and caulfield on the same side, how could i be wrong. 

shit.

Otoh, if you’re a stock market investor, Warren Buffett, etc., this is the gutsiest or dumbest buy high, sell low in Chicago White Sox history.

We already were arguing that the Hendriks move showed a lack of patience when we supposedly had multiple internal options.  And the knowledge Colome would likely regress due to advanced metrics.

Just imagine if Burdi or Crochet had turned into a lockdown combo of their own and we could invest a shit-ton of money somewhere else less risky…and we still had Narvaez, never having had to add Grandal.  Oh, well.  

Edited by caulfield12

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Kimbrel has to finish 55 games this year for the option to vest. He has finished 35 so far.

I’m confused though. Is it also a club option if he doesn’t meet those numbers? 

sportac lists it as this: 

• 2022 Vesting/Club option includes a $1M buyout

Hendriks....love the intensity and f bombs until he gives up a 9th inning homer

Kimbrel...will really hate that goofy bird pose he does or whatever that is, unless he is good on the SouthSide then I will do it too around the house

• Haha 1

Just now, Tony said:

Yes, it converts to a club option if it does not vest. At that point, the club could take the buyout or the option (hard to imagine situation where the option isn't picked up though).

1 minute ago, Tony said:

One of the Chicago beat reports definitely tweeted it in the last few days.

• Heads22 unpinned this topic
  • Quin locked this topic