Rick Hahn 2021 End of Season Press Conference

South Side Hit Men

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I find this plausible (not advocating it, though I enjoy Schwarber), mainly because if the sox are going to spend it just feels like they always love targeting the DH/1b and closer markets. 

They need a left handed banger. If they get him at DH then they can go a bunch of different directions to fill 2B and RF. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Like who? The Sox are going to need a 1B soon. I kind of like what Vaughn brings to the table. I think those who have issues with him aren't looking at the entire picture. Gets drafted in 2019, no season for him in 2020 and in a pennant race in 2021 where he held his own playing positions he never played. He is going to be a stud.

I don't disagree but he's a bad fit on this team. If they're going to trade one of their redundant players he's the one that will bring back the most.  

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Like who? The Sox are going to need a 1B soon. I kind of like what Vaughn brings to the table. I think those who have issues with him aren't looking at the entire picture. Gets drafted in 2019, no season for him in 2020 and in a pennant race in 2021 where he held his own playing positions he never played. He is going to be a stud.

I like the idea of keeping Vaughn, Sheets and Burger. They will all get at bats at some point in the season.  Vaughn obviously will get plenty but I think there is plenty of opportunity for the others. Seasons are long and people get hurt and I think all of those players (with Vaughn as the exception) have more value to White Sox than what they can get via trade.  People will get hurt...I have no doubt that Vaughn, Sheets, and Burger will all find ways to get meaningful playing time, etc next year. 

These are good problems to have. I also don't think they should do anything to hand Sheets/Burger more playing time.  Appreciate depth - that is what makes this squad good and gives it the ability to overcome major injuries.  

5 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They need a left handed banger. If they get him at DH then they can go a bunch of different directions to fill 2B and RF. 

Right, I guess I'm just saying for Hahn if they are looking at upgrading those three positions, they know Reinsdorf feels comfortable paying the rates for the top DH, but doesn't for top outfielder. So it would make sense to go after the DH in free agency and trade there.

Still think that puts sox at a disadvantage even though I think Schwarber would add a huge help.

5 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

This is true - I think they could get a LF bat at 2B and RF...have Vaughn/Eloy/Sheets/Abreu share time in 3 spots. When people get injured, you still have 1 and if multiple are that is where Burger comes in (unless he has more value than I think on trade front).  Play match-ups and give rest...there are still a lot of at bats to give to that group.  I don't like going multi-year with Conforto but I do like his bat in the lineup. Put him and Frazier in the lineup and that isn't bad.

Of course - you could dangle chips for Ketel Marte and that is one of those scenarios where I'm good moving some of our talent. Cause Marte is under control for 3 years and a damn good player.  

W/o scrolling through previous posts, to see if already mentioned (sorry if redundant) but guessing Philly would listen to offers for Didi. They have several highly-rated high minors guys ready to take over SS and can really use a stopper, i.e Kimbrel. The money is substantially similar and both have 1 year left. Didi had a tough year in '20 but he is athletic, can likely play 2nd and provide positional flexibility to spell TA (and possibly corner OF). He's LH and in the past has hit for power. He's a pro, can work counts and has an idea what he wants to do when he's at the plate. To me, he seems like a viable trade target, especially if we shed Kimbrels $16M to do so.

1 minute ago, Flash said:

W/o scrolling through previous posts, to see if already mentioned (sorry if redundant) but guessing Philly would listen to offers for Didi. They have several highly-rated high minors guys ready to take over SS and can really use a stopper, i.e Kimbrel. The money is substantially similar and both have 1 year left. Didi had a tough year in '20 but he is athletic, can likely play 2nd and provide positional flexibility to spell TA (and possibly corner OF). He's LH and in the past has hit for power. He's a pro, can work counts and has an idea what he wants to do when he's at the plate. To me, he seems like a viable trade target, especially if we shed Kimbrels $16M to do so.

If we’re trading Kimbrel for another bad salary, we should not have picked up the option and used the money towards someone good instead.

• Love 1
  • Fire 1

12 minutes ago, Flash said:

I think Segura would also be interesting.

8 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

If we’re trading Kimbrel for another bad salary, we should not have picked up the option and used the money towards someone good instead.

One way to look at it. Another might be Didi fills several needs, whereas Kimbrel is redundant. Curious who you think Kimbrel would bring back in trade, assuming he is moveable. Either way, its unlikely we free up his salary w/o taking on a similar contract(s) or paying a portion of his.  

Starting pitchers almost never pitch complete games so a DH is eventually  going to have to hit LH and RH pitching. I think Sheets and Vaughn have the potential to be the full time DH against RH and LH starters.  I know that opinion involves a bit of projection but having one DH would  simplify game day line-ups and provide consistent at-bats for the DH. 

2 hours ago, hi8is said:

General Intro:
- Bullpen will be a priority.
- No way to look at last season other than a disappointment. 
- Reinforcing pitching as a whole, better controlling the running game, improving on defense are things they identified as far back as the summer.
- Signing a TOR isn’t out of the possibility, it’s the “Holy Grail” - we’d be foolish not to at least check it out.
- “We’re still evaluating all of our options with Craig Kimbrel.” 

It’s nice to see him acknowledge the bullpen and defense right away. 
I’m also not surprised but pleased that he’s focused on TOR starting pitchers… good luck.

Kimbrel is a thorn. I don’t think they’ll get anything attractive on the trade front for him unless he’s packaged with someone like Vaughn ++ for a large contract. Maybe they get lucky and can find a deal like that for a good starting pitcher.

2 hours ago, hi8is said:

About TLR:
- Most surprising thing is that “he walked in the door without wresting on his past accomplishments and was starting at zero to earn trust and respect.”
- Didn’t mandate his way, sought to earn staff trust in a similar way.

He probably still wishes he had Hinch.

2 hours ago, hi8is said:

Rodon:
- I’d caution against saying he’s moving on. I’ve already talked with Boras and Rodon. We know we won’t have him back for 1 at 18. It made a little more sense to shoot for a longer deal with him or someone else. His days as a White Sox might not be over. “We saw what he can do when he’s 100% healthy”

I think that they didn’t extend a QO in small part because they wanted to keep his market open without attached draft compensation as a back scratch jester to Carlos and Boras. His health comment was cards to the chest but I do get the sense that they’re going to be in the bidding for Rodon. This further echos that their top priorities are going to be centered around the mound… both for the bullpen but also for the rotation.

2 hours ago, hi8is said:

Second Base / Right Field:
- I think we’re probably closer to having internal answers in Right Field with Vaughn and Sheets.
- At second we have Mendick and Romey who are options that are less established and seem more as super utility types.
- We’re going to vet the market for both positions via free agents and trades.

I don’t think they’re comfortable with either internal choice in right, regardless of what he said. We probably end up having Sheets as our DH… Vaughn used in a trade… and new pieces in place for both right and second base.

2 hours ago, hi8is said:

Kopech:
- Will be treated as a every 5 days kind of guy but to stretch him out and rest him in the summer we may have to skip a start and have him throw an inning or two out of the pen instead.

We’ll obviously be bringing in another starting pitcher then. 

2 hours ago, hi8is said:

Shifting: 
- We’re going to have to be better defensively instead. Don’t look just at the shift, look at outs converted via the shift or not. We we’re 9th in the league with that statistic. Still we need to look at ways to improve defense and align pitch selection for the effectiveness of defensive alignment.

I thought this was one of the more interesting responses as it speaks to pitch selection and pitching to contact with fielders aligned on the basis of executing location. The thoughtfulness gave me some hope in their analytics department but they really need to show more results. Really wish I remembered what this metric was called and may try looking back through the interview just to find it.

2 hours ago, hi8is said:

DH:
- Wait to see how offseason plays out. If we go to sign a RF then it will be the kids Vaughn and Sheets. If we sign a true DH we’ll be looking at that pair in right.

Again, I could see Sheets as the DH. There are so many ways that this team could shake out though which will make for an interesting offseason. We’ll see change to some combination of the following: the rotation, an infield position, and outfield position, and at DH. My off-season juju is starting to climb.

4 hours ago, hi8is said:

General Intro:
- Bullpen will be a priority.
- No way to look at last season other than a disappointment. 
- Reinforcing pitching as a whole, better controlling the running game, improving on defense are things they identified as far back as the summer.
- Signing a TOR isn’t out of the possibility, it’s the “Holy Grail” - we’d be foolish not to at least check it out.
- “We’re still evaluating all of our options with Craig Kimbrel.” 

About TLR:
- Most surprising thing is that “he walked in the door without wresting on his past accomplishments and was starting at zero to earn trust and respect.”
- Didn’t mandate his way, sought to earn staff trust in a similar way.

Rodon:
- I’d caution against saying he’s moving on. I’ve already talked with Boras and Rodon. We know we won’t have him back for 1 at 18. It made a little more sense to shoot for a longer deal with him or someone else. His days as a White Sox might not be over. “We saw what he can do when he’s 100% healthy”

Second Base / Right Field:
- I think we’re probably closer to having internal answers in Right Field with Vaughn and Sheets.
- At second we have Mendick and Romey who are options that are less established and seem more as super utility types.
- We’re going to vet the market for both positions via free agents and trades.

Kopech:
- Will be treated as a every 5 days kind of guy but to stretch him out and rest him in the summer we may have to skip a start and have him throw an inning or two out of the pen instead.

Shifting: 
- We’re going to have to be better defensively instead. Don’t look just at the shift, look at outs converted via the shift or not. We we’re 9th in the league with that statistic. Still we need to look at ways to improve defense and align pitch selection for the effectiveness of defensive alignment.

DH:
- Wait to see how offseason plays out. If we go to sign a RF then it will be the kids Vaughn and Sheets. If we sign a true DH we’ll be looking at that pair in right.

CBA:
- I think for the next month we’re continuing on as business is normal and will hope that the league and player association will continue working together positively as they have since the mid 90’s.

Braves:
- Leading up to the deadline I talked with Alex and to his credit he believed in the underlying talent of that staff and they decided to add to it and got hot at the right time. They exemplified it’s important to get hot at the right time, to get into the playoffs, and for the front office to feed the talent on the field with supplements when it is possible.

Thanks man!  Not sure how anyone could consider this a worthless segment?!  Seems like he revealed quite a bit and substantially more than I was anticipating.

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Thanks man!  Not sure how anyone could consider this a worthless segment?!  Seems like he revealed quite a bit and substantially more than I was anticipating.

Some people still have their panties in a bunch over the Sox not extending the QO to Rodon. Lmao 😂

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1