2022-23 NFL Season thread

bmags

14 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Ehhhhh, there are factors to that. If the Bears truly believed he was a franchise QB, you can't just pass on him and hope you find the guy when you're ready. 

There’s always a guy available if you’re either drafting high (which the bears will be for a few years) or willing to trade for an established QB when the time is right. There’s no reason to reach for a QB in the draft and deplete draft capital unless the rest of your roster is already in really good shape. Bears would be in a better position in the future if they didn’t trade all those picks for Fields and simply waited to draft a QB in 2023 or 2024. Now they’ve already burned two years of a QB’s rookie contract and have more holes to fill because they traded away picks to draft him.

Why does everyone think you need a “franchise” QB to win? What is that anyways?  Is Brock Purdy a franchise QB? 49ers are the best team in the NFC with a 7th round rookie QB. I doubt Jalen Hurts is anything special outside of a loaded Eagles roster. Stafford won a Super Bowl last year and is nothing special.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Someone give me an example where a total rebuild that was kickstarted by drafting a QB actually resulted in team success. Seems to me that most teams trying this are teams like the Texans, Jaguars, and Cardinals. Heck, even the Bengals built out much of their roster before they drafted Burrow. I don’t know, it seems drafting the QB first results in outcomes like David Carr, Blake Bortles, and Kyler Murray more often than they do Tom Brady, Patrick Mahomes, and Aaron Rodgers.

You have zero grasp of reality, similar how you were on a campaign this last White Sox season to tell anyone that would listen that the team was “right on the cusp” until, you know, they weren’t. 

Last season the Bengals made the Super Bowl. They were led by Joe Burrow (2020 Draft), Ja’Marr Chase (2021), DJ Reader (2020 FA), Logan Wilson (2020), Tee Higgins (2020), Trey Hendrickson (2021 FA), Joe Mixon (2017), Vonn Bell (2020 FA) and Larry Ogunjobi (2021 FA)

Who are these other key, long term Bengals that were the foundation of the 2021 Super Bowl Bengals?

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

You have zero grasp of reality, similar how you were on a campaign this last White Sox season to tell anyone that would listen that the team was “right on the cusp” until, you know, they weren’t. 

Last season the Bengals made the Super Bowl. They were led by Joe Burrow (2020 Draft), Ja’Marr Chase (2021), DJ Reader (2020 FA), Logan Wilson (2020), Tee Higgins (2020), Trey Hendrickson (2021 FA), Joe Mixon (2017), Vonn Bell (2020 FA) and Larry Ogunjobi (2021 FA)

Who are these other key, long term Bengals that were the foundation of the 2021 Super Bowl Bengals?

I was just about to post this. 

15 minutes ago, scs787 said:

I was just about to post this. 

Because they are indisputable facts, rather than some sort of false narrative created by a weird subjective take that everything has failed because the Bears had a shitty game against the Lions. 

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Was the 2021 Bengals roster ahead of the 2022 Bears roster? Yes or no? The Bengals drafted Burrow in 2020, the Bears drafted Fields in 2021. The Bears will be lucky to the the 2021 Bengals in 2025.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Because they are indisputable facts, rather than some sort of false narrative created by a weird subjective take that everything has failed because the Bears had a shitty game against the Lions. 

No, the entire rebuild approach that the Bears have taken is completely flawed. You don’t trade a bunch of draft capital to draft a QB, insert him as the starter his rookie season, and then tear down the roster. It’s such a terrible process.

Answer this…when do you expect the Bears to be contenders again? 

46 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Was the 2021 Bengals roster ahead of the 2022 Bears roster? Yes or no? The Bengals drafted Burrow in 2020, the Bears drafted Fields in 2021. The Bears will be lucky to the the 2021 Bengals in 2025.

It absolutely was. But again, as multiple people have already said, just because the Bengals did it one way, doesn't mean that's the only path. More importantly, that's not what you said, by any stretch. 

Quote: 

Heck, even the Bengals built out much of their roster before they drafted Burrow.

So as we've already asked, as Burrow was drafted in April of 2020, when you say "much of their roster", who are these players? How strong was the core of the 2019 Bengals, a team that went 2-14? Just answer the question. 

45 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

No, the entire rebuild approach that the Bears have taken is completely flawed. You don’t trade a bunch of draft capital to draft a QB, insert him as the starter his rookie season, and then tear down the roster. It’s such a terrible process.

Answer this…when do you expect the Bears to be contenders again? 

I expect the Bears to be in the playoff hunt next season. Might not make it, but I expect them to be in the hunt all season. The year after, I would fully expect them to be the favorites in the division. If they aren't, they messed up. Fields might not be the reason why, it may be bad roster management by Poles, injuries, or a host of reasons, but it doesn't matter. If they aren't on that path, then they failed. 

(Should also be noted the "approach" the Bears have taken wasn't all executed by the current management team. Poles didn't trade that capital or draft Fields. But given the incredibly poor cap management by Pace, a "reset" to clear out dead money and players was absolutely the right decision.) 

• Like 2

A friend of mine is a doctor and he thinks he’s got commotio cordis. Basically a shot to the chest that causes the heart to stop. Kids have died getting it from getting hit with baseballs. He said that that the quick medical action could save him, but was concerned they were working on him with CPR for so long.

Edited by Dick Allen

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

A friend of mine is a doctor and he thinks he’s got commotio cordis. Basically a shot to the chest that causes the heart to stop. Kids have died getting it from getting hit with baseballs. He said that that the quick medical action could save him, but was concerned they were working on him with CPR for so long.

Doesn’t exactly cause it to stop, it interrupts the regular heartbeat and sends it into random muscle firing rather than the standard coordinated heartbeat pattern. An AED shock across the heart is designed for situations like that, you overload the heart to clear the random firing and hopefully it resets to a normal rhythm, although damage can still happen and every second of delay is worrisome. I’m a bit worried that maybe 9 minutes of CPR meant that the nearest AED took that long to get to him. 

3 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Fields is 64 yards away from breaking Lamar Jackson's rushing record. For that reason alone, I believe he'll play Sunday but then sit after he gets the record. 

He sits or he's in his usual position after a nice run.  Writhing in pain on the sideline or getting treatment for godknowswhat.  Yes. he's an elite athlete, but does he have a future if he reacts to being tackled this way for his entire career?

3 hours ago, Stinky Stanky said:

He sits or he's in his usual position after a nice run.  Writhing in pain on the sideline or getting treatment for godknowswhat.  Yes. he's an elite athlete, but does he have a future if he reacts to being tackled this way for his entire career?

It's one more game. Fields has already stated he does not plan to rush for 1,000 yards every season like Lamar does. BUT that's up to the front office to get this guy some weapons and an o-line so when he runs its by design, not running for his life. I hope he gets the record Sunday.. and I hope he never has to endure what he has had to endure this season again.

9 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Doesn’t exactly cause it to stop, it interrupts the regular heartbeat and sends it into random muscle firing rather than the standard coordinated heartbeat pattern. An AED shock across the heart is designed for situations like that, you overload the heart to clear the random firing and hopefully it resets to a normal rhythm, although damage can still happen and every second of delay is worrisome. I’m a bit worried that maybe 9 minutes of CPR meant that the nearest AED took that long to get to him. 

I'm surprised the AED took that long to get there. High school sports have them on every sideline. I would think the NFL would have multiple units around. 

Those devices are really extraordinary in allowing someone with no training to follow a few simple directions and have them working. 

8 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Unreal that the refs and nfl were like “you guys have five minutes to get your s%*# together then play ball” and the teams and union reps were like “just fucking hold up I don't think so”

And now they are saying the fact that they called the game shows just how much they care about the players. It's such a joke.

• knightni changed the title to 2022-23 NFL Season thread
  • bmags locked this topic