2022-23 NFL Season thread

bmags

8 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Just thought about it. That Foles injury might be a blessing in disguise for the Bears. Colts play the Texans next week. Suddenly that game can be very winning for Houston.

That would be very helpful, especially if Houston were to win.

Watching the Bears today, it is clear they really need help on the defensive side of the ball. They can’t stop anyone and look incredibly weak. The offense at least shows signs of life even without receivers. You have to hope Fields is the guy when he gets receivers and an actual offensive line though.

Awful awful performance from Fields. Shows despite all the tools - he has so much work to still do. Yes the weapons stink but he has to make on time plays too. 

Oline was also terrible. But fields has to make some on schedule plays. Everything can’t just be him making ridiculous running plays or holding ball forever until coverage finally breaks down. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

F it. Take a qb at the top. Let the best man win. Seriously - knowing Bears fields will end up crap and they will pass on the next generational qb this time around. 

This....isn't a great post. 

12 minutes ago, Tony said:

This....isn't a great post. 

He was terrible. I was being a bit sarcastic but for example if Caleb Williams was in this draft I probably would take him and trade Fields. So not crazy. 7-21 and 45 yards - that is historically awful (and it was in a dome against one of the worse defenses in the nfl). Not like it was a blizzard game against the most dominating defense in the league. 

I do not think it is a slam dunk Fields is great. He has tons of flaws and will not have sustained success if he can’t learn to significantly improve as an on schedule passer. 

I have always said - his athleticism makes his margin for error much greater than most. If he was just a very good athlete I would have already moved on from him as a qb. Thankfully for the Bears he is an elite athlete. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

He was terrible. I was being a bit sarcastic but for example if Caleb Williams was in this draft I probably would take him and trade Fields. So not crazy. 7-21 and 45 yards - that is historically awful (and it was in a dome against one of the worse defenses in the nfl). Not like it was a blizzard game against the most dominating defense in the league. 

I do not think it is a slam dunk Fields is great. He has tons of flaws and will not have sustained success if he can’t learn to significantly improve as an on schedule passer. 

I have always said - his athleticism makes his margin for error much greater than most. If he was just a very good athlete I would have already moved on from him as a qb. Thankfully for the Bears he is an elite athlete. 

It’s still a very dumb post/take. You’re using an emotional response from todays game to erase Weeks 6-7-8-9-10-11-13-15 (didn’t play week 12, bye was week 14)

He’s also 23. He also had 132 rushing yards today. He is also throwing the worst WR core in the league, with a bad offensive line. 

He had a bad game. The Bears will be sitting on one of the most valuable commodities in the NFL in April, and using it to fill a position that is currently occupied by far and away their most talented player (who is also still on his rookie contract) is an awful use of resources, especially when you consider all the other needs on this team. You’re better than that 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The Lions are 2-3 years ahead of the Bears and they have 2 first round picks this year.  They're gonna be a problem.

They still need a franchise QB. Unless they trade up with the Bears, Texans, etc. this year (or completely suck next year which I doubt) not too worried about Jared freakin' Goff leading them anywhere. They're in the same boat as Minnesota with Cousins. Great defense, great weapons and o-line on offense... all being held back by their QB. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

It’s still a very dumb post/take. You’re using an emotional response from todays game to erase Weeks 6-7-8-9-10-11-13-15 (didn’t play week 12, bye was week 14)

He’s also 23. He also had 132 rushing yards today. He is also throwing the worst WR core in the league, with a bad offensive line. 

He had a bad game. The Bears will be sitting on one of the most valuable commodities in the NFL in April, and using it to fill a position that is currently occupied by far and away their most talented player (who is also still on his rookie contract) is an awful use of resources, especially when you consider all the other needs on this team. You’re better than that 

I get it but it is real bad and it is 2 straight real bad performances. Yes it is amazing he can run but you know what - if he can’t pass you won’t win s%*# in this league. He was pure trash. 

I still think there is 50 percent chance they are grabbing a qb a year from now. Legit believe that. In meantime they need to surround Fields with more talent and it starts with the high pick, however if Bears had the top pick and this was a draft with a legit #1 - I would be having a different conversation and do not know how cut and dry my choice would be. 

And I like Fields - I am just saying he has become over hyped and he has a lot of s%*# to work on. And I can’t ignore games that are legit this bad. I wouldn’t let him run next week - make him work on short passes and develop. 

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I get it but it is real bad and it is 2 straight real bad performances. Yes it is amazing he can run but you know what - if he can’t pass you won’t win s%*# in this league. He was pure trash. 

I still think there is 50 percent chance they are grabbing a qb a year from now. Legit believe that. In meantime they need to surround Fields with more talent and it starts with the high pick, however if Bears had the top pick and this was a draft with a legit #1 - I would be having a different conversation and do not know how cut and dry my choice would be. 

And I like Fields - I am just saying he has become over hyped and he has a lot of s%*# to work on. And I can’t ignore games that are legit this bad. I wouldn’t let him run next week - make him work on short passes and develop. 

He needs to work on his passing, but I don't know why this is a surprise to anyone. 

As Albert Breer wrote last month:

BETWEEN HIS TIME AS A VARSITY QB IN HIGH SCHOOL, AND THREE COLLEGE SEASONS, FIELDS HAD 1,024 PASS ATTEMPTS. TREVOR LAWRENCE, BY COMPARISON, HAD 2,273

Furthermore, in college, these are pass attempts:

Justin Herbert – 1,293

Patrick Mahomes – 1,349

Andrew Luck – 1,064

Russell Wilson – 1,489

Matt Ryan – 1,347

Ben Roethlisberger – 1,304

Justin Fields - 618

Yes, Justin Fields needs to become a better passer. Given the athletic ability we've seen on display, I have faith he can get there. Having actual NFL WR's and a decent OL will help him get there much quicker. 

• Fire 1

8 hours ago, Tony said:

He needs to work on his passing, but I don't know why this is a surprise to anyone. 

Justin Herbert – 1,293

Patrick Mahomes – 1,349

Andrew Luck – 1,064

Russell Wilson – 1,489

Matt Ryan – 1,347

Justin Fields - 618

Yes, Justin Fields needs to become a better passer. Given the athletic ability we've seen on display, I have faith he can get there. Having actual NFL WR's and a decent OL will help him get there much quicker. 

Tom Brady? Aaron Rodgers?

10 hours ago, SoxAce said:

They still need a franchise QB. Unless they trade up with the Bears, Texans, etc. this year (or completely suck next year which I doubt) not too worried about Jared freakin' Goff leading them anywhere. They're in the same boat as Minnesota with Cousins. Great defense, great weapons and o-line on offense... all being held back by their QB. 

Lions can absolutely win a SB with Goff. He’s already played in one and is better now than he was then. Everyone talks about the Bears crappy WR corps. Who do the Lions have outside of 2021 fourth round pick St. Brown?

13 hours ago, SoxAce said:

I don't know about that the guy I was watching yesterday looked pretty damn good. 

3 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Lions can absolutely win a SB with Goff. He’s already played in one and is better now than he was then. Everyone talks about the Bears crappy WR corps. Who do the Lions have outside of 2021 fourth round pick St. Brown?

Jameson Williams, 1st round pick out of Alabama? 

DJ Chark, 2nd round pick out of LSU?

TJ Hockenson also spent most of the season with Detroit and was a Top 10 pick out of Iowa. 

12 hours ago, Tony said:

Justin Herbert – 1,293

Patrick Mahomes – 1,349

Andrew Luck – 1,064

Russell Wilson – 1,489

Matt Ryan – 1,347

Justin Fields - 618

You will hear that Fields needs to work on his passing from hosts on the Score, but does he truly need to do that if his receivers are trash and he has no time to throw? I would agree that maybe he needs work on his reads but without much to work with from his line and receiving crew, I don’t think we can fairly evaluate him. 

That being said, he does need to stop doing that thing where he gets out of the pocket and spins backward outside to try and make a play. Running for his life or not, teams will scout against that move. I would also like to throw Getsy under the bus for not throwing more balls to the middle of the field. If that is Fields not doing it then that is one thing, but it seems like when pass plays are called we almost never see a 5-15 yards and in thrown or caught by our receivers.

14 hours ago, SoxAce said:

They need to run Fields into the ground because he is on that rookie contract. If he fails, they need to draft another or sign another as competition for him. There are too many holes to draft one that high this year.

• knightni changed the title to 2022-23 NFL Season thread
  • bmags locked this topic