2022-23 NFL Season thread

bmags

26 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

So I think the Bears should make a run at Saquon. I am never in the pay running backs but the bears have tons of cap space and a dynamic runner at qb. We saw what they did  with Montgomery but let’s put a second explosive weapon next to Fields and be unique…not to mention giving him a weapon to use in the flat. And than sign all the oline and dlinemen possible and draft a center and wideout and many linebackers :). 

I’ve thought about it mainly because they need playmakers wherever they can get ‘em. I think giants re-sign him though.

trenches trenches trenches otherwise.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

I also think because it was MNF between two very good teams, as gross as it is...because it happened in the first quarter, they wanted to get those ad dollars in for as long as possible

The norm is to keep playing. Hell, when Tatum paralyzed Stingley, nearly killing him, they finished the pre season game. 

8 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't know what the right answer is, but the NFL should absolutely have a contingency plan for "What happens when an emergency situation causes delay or postponement of a game with playoff implications in week 16" and they should be acting on it right now. If that is a game resumption tomorrow night, then they should be getting those plans out to people right now. If that is a canceled game, then they should have rules already written for how that is dealt with.  The exact situation causing it is difficult to predict, but there's any number of really bad things that could happen to a game at an inopportune time for making up the game before the playoffs. 

What if they let week 18 play out, then either push the playoffs back a week and then hold Bills and Bengals players out of the Pro Bowl? Or just not play the game depending on what happens this weekend with the KC and Buffalo games (if the top win percentage gets a bye)?

Edited by The Beast

1 minute ago, The Beast said:

What if they let week 18 play out, then either pushed the playoffs back a week and then held Bills and Bengals players out of the Pro Bowl? Or just not play the game depending on what happens this weekend with the KC and Buffalo games (if the top win percentage gets a bye)?

My guess is that's the plan: hope that this weekend makes the game unnecessary but then push the playoffs back a week if it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

What if they let week 18 play out, then either pushed the playoffs back a week and then held Bills and Bengals players out of the Pro Bowl? Or just not play the game depending on what happens this weekend with the KC and Buffalo games (if the top win percentage gets a bye)?

My guess is that moving both championship game weekend and the wild card round would be super brutal on the TV networks. But maybe if you’ve played this out in advance, you have a little known “emergency clause” in the TV contracts already negotiated? That would limit the seat-of-your-pants planning if they were smart businessmen.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

So I think the Bears should make a run at Saquon. I am never in the pay running backs but the bears have tons of cap space and a dynamic runner at qb. We saw what they did  with Montgomery but let’s put a second explosive weapon next to Fields and be unique…not to mention giving him a weapon to use in the flat. And than sign all the oline and dlinemen possible and draft a center and wideout and many linebackers :). 

Eh. I wouldn't hate it so long as they also put enough resources into the lines. 

Also, one thing that really bothers me, I was really expecting to see the RBs be a bigger part of the passing game. In the 3 years Getsy was in GB, their RBs were targeted more than 100 times a season.  This year for the Bears, the RBs have been targeted 57 times.

You would think those types of passes would happen more when your OL sucks. Or maybe they need the RB to stay in and block? Or maybe because teams don't have to blitz, the intermediate game is not open enough? 

Everything starts up front. Fix the line and everything starts to open up. 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Woof. Vikings are said to be playing all their starters,  but against Nathan Peterman? Why bother. 

Vikings aren't capable of the havoc Detroit can bring, but this should be another blood bath. 

On 1/2/2023 at 7:54 PM, Tony said:

It absolutely was. But again, as multiple people have already said, just because the Bengals did it one way, doesn't mean that's the only path. More importantly, that's not what you said, by any stretch. 

Quote: 

So as we've already asked, as Burrow was drafted in April of 2020, when you say "much of their roster", who are these players? How strong was the core of the 2019 Bengals, a team that went 2-14? Just answer the question. 

Still waiting @JUSTgottaBELIEVE.....

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Alright get that #1 pick draft Bryce Young and trade Fields.  Boom

Heard a tidbit on the radio that Biggs doesn’t necessarily believe the Bears brass think Fields is their guy

Edited by fathom

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Heard a tidbit on the radio that Biggs doesn’t necessarily believe the Bears brass think Fields is their guy

That was talked about during the off-season as well but I think it was just "They aren't surrounding him with talent so they must not like him" sort of talk. 

Could be true, but man they better be right and they better be right right away. 

That said, I think you HAVE to give him another year with an OL in front of him. 

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

If you get #1 pick value for Fields, it isn't the worst thing in the world.

No matter what we are going to here some of those rumors…fields isn’t the guy (even if they think he is) cause they got to creative leverage. 

As I said before - if Bears evaluate any of these top qbs and say that is without a doubt the guy and they like them more than Fields…than trade Fields (for value) and draft the qb.  Basically resets things 2 years on rookie scale deal and you keep putting more talent. 

I think they like Fields a lot - but he isn’t without warts 2 years into this. But he has also shown enough that someone would trade for him - as long as you used leverage appropriately. For god sales look at what Wentz got last year and that was with him on a highly paid contract. 

On 1/3/2023 at 3:34 PM, Texsox said:

The norm is to keep playing. Hell, when Tatum paralyzed Stingley, nearly killing him, they finished the pre season game. 

Many do not recall in 1971 Chuck Hughes of the Lions died on the field against the Bears. 

After considering all factors I believe the NFL should scrap the Week 18 games and use winning percentage to determine playoff seedings. It seems a lot of players are distressed by the Monday night game and are not focused on competing. The league is trying to be sensitive to player needs right now.

22 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Alright get that #1 pick draft Bryce Young and trade Fields.  Boom

You do get your QB on a rookie contract for 2 more years. I just wonder what Fields would be like with decent protection and some top receivers.

I don't think they would take the gamble. Some of these top picks have really sucked, and even starting a rookie, you are pretty much punting on 2023.

Edited by Dick Allen

On 1/2/2023 at 7:58 PM, Tony said:

I expect the Bears to be in the playoff hunt next season. Might not make it, but I expect them to be in the hunt all season. The year after, I would fully expect them to be the favorites in the division. If they aren't, they messed up. Fields might not be the reason why, it may be bad roster management by Poles, injuries, or a host of reasons, but it doesn't matter. If they aren't on that path, then they failed. 

(Should also be noted the "approach" the Bears have taken wasn't all executed by the current management team. Poles didn't trade that capital or draft Fields. But given the incredibly poor cap management by Pace, a "reset" to clear out dead money and players was absolutely the right decision.) 

LOL. Well, you’re certainly setting yourself up for disappointment then.

5 hours ago, Tony said:

Yet still no answer from you. Shocking. 

This entire discussion is based on my belief that this rebuild that the bears are attempting will fall flat on its face because they’re going about it all wrong. You disagree, clearly, based on your statement that you expect the bears to be division favorites in 2024. Wanna bet on that???

The way I see it, the 9 spots on the offensive and defensive line are the biggest problems on this team. 

Of those 9, I think it's realistic to say 2 should no doubt be back and start in Whitehair and Jenkins. Injuries are a concern with both, yes, but that is what it is in the NFL. Then there's 2 other guys that I wouldn't hate to see back and starting in Justin Jones and a stronger Braxton Jones(Preferably on the right side.) There's an argument to be made that a combo of Dom Rob and Trevis Gipson on one side at DE. With better talent on the line, I could see Gipson have a bounce back year.

So with 125M and 3 picks in the top 75, I really think they can fill those 4-7 positions on the lines and it's gonna make a world of difference.  

Will it make them the favorites? No maybe not. Detroit is for real, Packers and Vikings are still relevant too. But I do think they can contend of they play their cards right NEXT year.

• bmags locked this topic