Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

26 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What are the contracts you’re expecting Kikuchi & Rodon to get?

MLBTR has Kikuchi at 2/$20MM, and Rodon at 1/$25MM.

TBH, I think both are a little high, but adding Kikuchi at $10MM/per, and then Suzuki at 5/$55MM helps this year's roster, while leaving room to replace Keuchel at year's end.

Or hell, Kikuchi at 2/$20 and Conforto at 4/$80MM fits as well. I just like Suzuki's gold glove, smaller contract, and younger age better than Conforto.

Or, Rodon at 1/$19MM, and Suzuki at 5/$55MM also works, assuming we eat $10MM or less of the Kimbrel turd.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

"Burning arms out" is not the same thing as being concerned someone will max out their innings before being able to contribute in the playoffs.  What do you think Kopech's inning limit will be next year?  All five main starters averaged between five & six innings per start last year.  I'd expect Kopech to be on the bottom end of that range but make ~28 starts if healthy (going to be very challenging skipping him too often this year).  That right there is a 140 innings, which is a ~70 inning increase vs 2021.  I'm really skeptical they'd push him much further than that, with a move to the bullpen a very possible outcome for him come October IMO.

I mean in October you push.

But I think it helps to just look at Dylan Ceases workload.

Dylan was great and available all year, leading to 32 starts, but just about 160 IP which is what a 5 IP target looks like.

So if Kopech is looking great and durable and making all of his starts by July, it would help if he suddenly had some 10 day stints to get his starts down.

So 30 starts gets you 150 IP, that’s the dream scenario where he is just available all year, and you aren’t even managing workload that much.

That’s 80 IP over last year and if you have a deep playoff run you push everyone but even then that puts his ceiling closer to 100 inning increase, which again isn’t ideal but also isn’t as crazy as this thread made it sound. A whole lotta pitchers just did that year over year from 2020 to 2021, including Cease. 
Kopech is different since he hasn’t proven it before and I think it’s likely he has a dead arm period and we are looking closer to 25-28 starts with a 130-140 IP season organically. But that’s also just a pretty typical baseball pitcher nowadays.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

There is something wrong with Rodon.  I don't think it had to do with innings it has to do with his motion and throwing across his body.  He was breaking no matter how many innings he pitched 

What exactly happened to Rodon has always been a topic of discussion and there is no definitive answer so I have heard your opinion before from others.I of course am of the opinion that now that he has some innings under his belt last that he is much better off mechanically from Working with Katz. This is from The Ringer:

The key, Katz says, was changing how Rodón pushed off the rubber. Before, he’d been driving with just his toe, which was sending him toward first base and setting into motion all the mechanical messiness that had plagued him over the previous few years. Katz’s goal was to get Rodón to drive more off his back leg and use his entire foot to explode off the rubber.

So to me it was Rodon's work with Katz that made him dominant, very dominant and I'd take the chance that he could be dominant again only for more innings this year because while he may not do everything mechanically correct he is way better than he was mechanically.

5 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I respect that opinion. I’m just not high on Kikuchi, and Rodon’s health scares me. Perhaps I’m too high on Bassitt, but I have been very impressed watching him the past few seasons. I think he would really improve the rotation and would make a difference for this team in the playoffs. 

And that's fair as well.

I think there's a need for IP and cromulent WAR to be added to the rotation. But at this point in the offseason, there aren't really that many options to move the needle that much. So, I'd rather keep the powder dry for the TDL, instead of burning through your trade capital now.

OTOH, standing pat means risking negative WAR in the rotation (by means of Keuchel and Lopez and Stiever and Lambert getting too many starts) fucking everything up. 

No matter who they get, it won't be earth-shattering. We really need IP to preserve Kopech for October, and to get Keuchel to fuck off at year's end. 

17 minutes ago, fathom said:

Oh great, discussing Padres financials again :)  

no idea to be honest, but I have a feeling Conforto has a lot more suitors than Castellanos

Yeah, probably not a good idea to question the Padres’ spending and I actually think their owner has previously stated he’d pay the tax.

Just based on their 2021 seasons, I would have expected more teams interested in Castellanos, but definitely could be wrong there as GMs don’t overreact to single seasons as much as fans do.

5 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Will you move back to the Chicagoland area from Nashville if this doesn’t happen?

If the Sox sign Conforto I’m definitely moving back.  Already told the wife to start looking at houses just to be safe.  Tepera alone doesn’t force a move back to Chicago unfortunately.  I need to see that Jerry is serious and that means Conforto, Bryant, etc.

• Love 1
  • Fire 1

Just now, fathom said:

If it’s true they’re talking to Soler, then my belief is they are absolutely involved with Castellanos.  Also makes you wonder if Vaughn is getting traded.

I struggle with what you trade Vaughn for though.  He’s not enough for Bryan Reynolds.  Maybe he gets you close on Ketel Marte?  What SP out there is worth Vaughn?

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I struggle with what you trade Vaughn for though.  He’s not enough for Bryan Reynolds.  Maybe he gets you close on Ketel Marte?  What SP out there is worth Vaughn?

Marte, maybe some type of package with Kimbrel for Lux and more?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

I’m surprised there has been zero signings so far even the relief market is at a standstill 

Kyle Boddy of Driveline fame says he knows of a lot of low-level deals done that teams just won’t announce yet