Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

Isn't it refreshing to be talking about free agents and trades (and how the Sox will disappoint) vs. the lockout?

Should be a very exciting weekend, starting today.  Who makes the first move?  What big free agent goes first?  Who on Soxtalk will vow to never watch a Sox game again after Player X goes to Team Y instead of the Sox?

Relieved that the lockout is over but the angst at ownership as a whole has been replaced by the longstanding angst at our team’s ownership fearing whether or not they go cheap.  It’s a sickness, I know. 😇🤣

14 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Why were people complaining about a Sheets for Bassit... Sheets is a sell high, AAAA rodder..  Sheets wouldn't even be enough for Bassitt

Some definite over-inflating of his value going on IMO. 

4 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

They signed a lot more than just Samardzija that offseason.

Yup: They also added such luminaries as: JB shuck, Adam Laroche, Zach Duke, Rob Brantley, Dan Jennings, a PED-free Melky Cabrera, Emilio Bonifacio, and topped it all off with Gordon Beckham.

I mean, given that that team was led by baseball genius Robin Ventura, thats all they needed to turn a 73 win turd into a contender, amirite?

(How were those clowns NOT fired for that stoopid shit again?)

3 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Relieved that the lockout is over but the angst at ownership as a whole has been replaced by the longstanding angst at our team’s ownership fearing whether or not they go cheap.  It’s a sickness, I know. 😇🤣

As a playoff team I hope we don't improve too much and the non playoff teams sign the best available talent to improve the competitive balance of the league. 

See how that eases any angst? We want teams below us to get better. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Thanks.

Yeah, Im convinced this is true. Having versatility in your roster is an asset. Especially if your manager knows how to use it.

Sad that pretty much our only versatile player is Leury. Maybe Miller or Villar could also be versatile assets, but nothing like the guys in that article...

The smartest organizations have been developing versatility in their players for years. Very few, if any top prospects in the Dodgers, Rays etc system come up playing only 1 position. Wander was the best prospect on the planet, a no doubt SS, and the Rays still frequently moved him around the diamond.

I think there is definitely extra value (probably a pretty significant amount) in positional versatility that doesn't show up in WAR. This is why Bryant is the most appealing FA on the board to me, by a pretty significant margin.

16 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Why were people complaining about a Sheets for Bassit... Sheets is a sell high, AAAA rodder..  Sheets wouldn't even be enough for Bassitt

I dont give a fuck what Sheets is and isn't. I also don't think Bassitt is better than what can be gotten for just money.

I just don't want KW/RH to trade with Oakland, because Oakland will rob them blind. See: The Jeff Samardzija trade and the Kimbrel trade as reasons why I dont want them trading. Especially with a FO like Oakland.

22 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Give me Anthony Rizzo to split DH and 1B with Abreu and Kyle Schwarber for RF. I don't care about the history with the Cubs. Left handed problems solved. Instantly the best lineup in the league. Give Andrew Vaughn the Jordan Love treatment. Or trade him.

And you want the worst OF defence in the majors along with it?🤣

I’d gladly take Schwarber as the DH.  But I have no interest in him playing RF.  I have an irrational dislike for Rizzo so he’d be hard to stomach on my White Sox. 

Edited by Tnetennba
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Yup: They also added such luminaries as: JB shuck, Adam Laroche, Zach Duke, Rob Brantley, Dan Jennings, a PED-free Melky Cabrera, Emilio Bonifacio, and topped it all off with Gordon Beckham.

I mean, given that that team was led by baseball genius Robin Ventura, thats all they needed to turn a 73 win turd into a contender, amirite?

(How were those clowns NOT fired for that stoopid shit again?)

You forgot David Robertson.  Cabrera and Laroche were solid signings (at the time). 

1 minute ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I dont give a fuck what Sheets is and isn't. I also don't think Bassitt is better than what can be gotten for just money.

I just don't want KW/RH to trade with Oakland, because Oakland will rob them blind. See: The Jeff Samardzija trade and the Kimbrel trade as reasons why I dont want them trading. Especially with a FO like Oakland.

So based off one trade, with one team, you've determined we should never trade with them again?  Did you also wish we didn't trade them Quintana and get Eloy and Cease since we traded them Sosa in the 90s?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

If that's true, then well... not offering him the qualifying offer certainly was a choice.

Unless there is a handshake deal with options & incentives I tend to agree.  Unless they were really afraid of the CBT threshold being really low. 

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

You forgot David Robertson.  Cabrera and Laroche were solid signings (at the time). 

Cabrera was at best iffy because he was a proven steroid abuser and you didn’t have any way of knowing if his performance in Toronto the year before was clean. If it was, it sure wasn’t repeatable.

LaRoche falling apart I didn’t see.

21 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Teams, cheap ones especially, place a ton of value on years of team control. Whether they do it too much is a different conversation, but Sheets has 5 years of control left and he's already a low end plug & play option at 1B. An organization like Oakland will place a lot of value on that.

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Thanks, those guys were so awesome that I'd forgotten.

"Solid" is a stretch. That pile of crap they did wasn't going to turn the 73 win turdpile from 2014 into a contender in 2015.

A lot of what they did back then contributed to subsequent years of being "mired in mediocrity." It was, without question, another fireable offense, but for JR's affinity for KW/RH.

6 minutes ago, Texsox said:

As a playoff team I hope we don't improve too much and the non playoff teams sign the best available talent to improve the competitive balance of the league. 

See how that eases any angst? We want teams below us to get better. 

Lockout is over, I’m in it for my team only again 😁

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Imagine being outspent this off season by the cross town team who supposedly wasn't trying to win

Sox will still have a higher payroll.  Correa to the Cubs as a strong possibility has been known for months. That organization has loved him for a decade.

6 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

So based off one trade, with one team, you've determined we should never trade with them again?  Did you also wish we didn't trade them Quintana and get Eloy and Cease since we traded them Sosa in the 90s?

I dont want them trading with Oakland. But you also forgot other robberies by Oakland, to include Ray Durham for Jon fucking Adkins, and Billy Koch for Foulke. So, there's a history of KW/RH building Oakland, and getting robbed in the process.

Selling off cheap, young, controlled pieces for future assets is a different skillset than adding pieces for a current window. So, the Quintana/Sale/Eaton trades are not at all material to the discussion of what they need to do NOW. 

The Samardzija trade, and the Kimbrel trade are more in line with a "win now" mentality.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

4 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I dont want them trading with Oakland.

Selling off cheap, young, controlled pieces for future assets is a different skillset than adding pieces for a current window.

So, the Quintana/Sale/Eaton trades are not at all material to the discussion of what they need to do NOW. 

The Samardzija trade, and the Kimbrel trade are more in line with a "win now" mentality.

What about the Lynn trade?  Are you happy we made that trade?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Selling off cheap, young, controlled pieces for future assets is a different skillset than adding pieces for a current window.

So, the Quintana/Sale/Eaton trades are not at all material to the discussion of what they need to do NOW. 

It'll be nice once the farm system reaches a point where the Sox can make trades for good players without touching the major league roster. A huge issue with deals like this is that the win now player (particularly in the Kimbrel case) might not even be better than the guy you're trading away, without getting into long-term value in the future.

2 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Unfortunately the White Sox right now must have a “win now” attitude. While I agree they have shown no skill at making trades with that attitude, they probably have no choice.

If the White Sox gave up Semien, Bassit, and Phegley for Samarzija when they had a legitimate 92 win team, and that pushed them into the playoffs, it would still sting to have overpaid that badly, but at least a playoff run could justify it. That’s where they are now - it is less important to avoid overpaying than it it to get guys who actually produce. In 2 or 3 years they’re going to be trying to plug holes on a sinking ship no matter what they do now, so they better get themselves into the World Series before that.