Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

Isn't it refreshing to be talking about free agents and trades (and how the Sox will disappoint) vs. the lockout?

Should be a very exciting weekend, starting today.  Who makes the first move?  What big free agent goes first?  Who on Soxtalk will vow to never watch a Sox game again after Player X goes to Team Y instead of the Sox?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

While there’s a match with the White Sox, the reason the Yankees traded for Gallo was they needed left handed balance alongside Judge and Stanton. The Yankees still need that. Trading Gallo and signing Conforto does make some sense for them, but would they open the hole in Their lineup if they don’t have Conforto already signed? 

Aaron Hicks should be at full strength following wrist surgery, in which case Gallo might be redundant but you certainly make a case for NYY keeping Gallo.

4 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Isn't it refreshing to be talking about free agents and trades (and how the Sox will disappoint) vs. the lockout?

Should be a very exciting weekend, starting today.  Who makes the first move?  What big free agent goes first?  Who on Soxtalk will vow to never watch a Sox game again after Player X goes to Team Y instead of the Sox?

23 pages to this thread in 16 hours or so, without a single move recorded and with a bare minimum of rumors.

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

Aaron Hicks should be at full strength following wrist surgery, in which case Gallo might be redundant but you certainly make a case for NYY keeping Gallo.

Anthony Rizzo hasn’t signed anywhere yet has he? They actually added 2 LH bats last deadline and I think Rizzo is still a FA, but might have forgotten a move there? 

5 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Maybe instead of trying to get Marte you go for Zac Gallen and Dalton Varsho. Varsho is an odd combination of OF/C but if I'm not mistaken had a very nice OAA in the OF and he does bat LH. He is 24 and Gallen is 25. Throw the kitchen sink at Az. Vaughn, Burger, Sheets, Kimbrel, Keuchel Crochet, whoever. Maybe offer the Kimbrel and Keuchel contracts and take on Bumgarner's along with Gallen and Varsho.Then u have RF and SP set and all u have to replace is some relief pitching and rotate DH among our remaining old guys like Grandal , Abreu, some Eloy. 

You trade $34M worth of Kimbrel and Keuchel in 2022 for Bumgarners $60M through 2024 with $23M for 2022 ,so saving 11M on 2022 but gaining $23M in 2023 and $14M in 2024 and maybe give up less in prospect capital , maybe add Lopez into the deal since that's a lot of SP we are taking from AZ. Keuchel, Kimbrel, Crochet, Lopez,Vaughn+ plus taking on $26M in salary for Gallen, Varsho and Bumgarner. Gallen is Arb 3 in 2025 and Varsho is Arb 4 in 2026.

Sorry I was trying to figure this all out as I was writing it. Would be a huge trade and we get decent youth with a lot of years left. Plus I was kind of sick of hearing the same old names in trades for the OF and starting pitching.

I love the idea, but don’t see Arizona trading both those two guys for the package outlined.  My guess is if they move those guys they will they are multiple years and looking for much younger talent.  And if that’s the case, salary relief has much less value.  Interesting concept though and hopefully Hahn is willing to think the box to improve this team.

22 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Anthony Rizzo hasn’t signed anywhere yet has he? They actually added 2 LH bats last deadline and I think Rizzo is still a FA, but might have forgotten a move there? 

I always thought the Cubbies would bring back Rizzo to placate the fan base...he's awfully popular there.

1 hour ago, iWiN4PreP said:

So today should bring some moves. What does a good offseason look like?

Sign Tepera

Address 2b OR RF with a legit player/star (Conforto/Bryant/Castellanos/Story/Ketel Marte)

Address the other somehow

Get a SP (Rodon/Bassit/Manea come to mind, but some crusty vet might be 'acceptable')

Do whatever with Kimbrel.

For me: Tepera, Kris Bryant, Chad Pinder/Tony Kemp, Rodon, Sell kimbrel

IDK, as long as the white sox get one of those elite players (conforto/bryant/Castellanos/Story), it's going to be hard to have a bad offseason.

That’s pretty much it.  They need at least one impact bat and more pitching depth, but plus need to address 2B in some fashion.  Get that shit done and we’re looking damn good.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Conforto to the Padres and I’m the fuck outta here.

46 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Conforto. He is too popular right now. 

6 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Thanks.

Yeah, Im convinced this is true. Having versatility in your roster is an asset. Especially if your manager knows how to use it.

Sad that pretty much our only versatile player is Leury. Maybe Miller or Villar could also be versatile assets, but nothing like the guys in that article...

9 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Did you say the same thing about the Lance Lynn trade as well?

And for the love of god, can we please stop using one year of performance as the end all be all for evaluating a player?  Like look at Conforto’s numbers from 2017 to 2020 before saying this shit.  He was hurt last year and it impacted his numbers.  Context matters.

Probably but not as ferociously. Kimbrel as well.  (I do have a bias against young for old).   Sox didn't need KImbrel.   Lynn had some 1/2 bona-fides.  Bassitt/Manaea  are 3/4 guys.  While the Sox got what they wanted out of Lynn, the Rangers have 2 very viable young pitchers.  As for Conforto and context, the Mets, who are adding like crazy, are moving on from him.  That should signal something as well.
That's what Samardzija was  - a 3/4 guy who had a career year.  As paid top dollar for him for a playoff run and then they pawned him off on the Sox.  And the Sox got what he really was:  a 3/4 guy.  
Here's a trade for Bassitt.  Kimbrel, Collins and a prospect.  Let the As polish up Kimbrel and flip him in July - they're good at that sort of thing.   But no way should the Sox trade promising young talent for an average rent-a-pitcher...especially when we're howling "we need a left handed hitter."

Edited by GreenSox

Give me Anthony Rizzo to split DH and 1B with Abreu and Kyle Schwarber for RF. I don't care about the history with the Cubs. Left handed problems solved. Instantly the best lineup in the league. Give Andrew Vaughn the Jordan Love treatment. Or trade him.

Edited by ScooterMcGee
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

1. That's what Samardzija was  - a 3/4 guy who had a career year.  As paid top dollar for him for a playoff run and then they pawned him off on the Sox.  And the Sox got what he really was:  a 3/4 guy.  

2. Here's a trade for Bassitt.  Kimbrel, Collins and a prospect. 

1. You forgot to add into the Samardzija tragedy that KW/RH looked at a 73 win team from the previous season and said, "Durrr, all this team needs in Jeff Samardzija, and we're on our way!" I think I got banned from WSI for a month. Holy shit, that was so fucking moronic. I would have fired every fucking body in the front office for that stupid shit.

2. I think someone finally found a Bassitt trade that I'd do. Throw in Micker Adolfo into that mix.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

For me: Tepera, Kris Bryant, Chad Pinder/Tony Kemp, Rodon, Sell kimbrel

IDK, as long as the white sox get one of those elite players (conforto/bryant/Castellanos/Story), it's going to be hard to have a bad offseason.

Sign: Tepera, Bryant, Rodon

Trade Away: Kimbrel

Trade For: Manaea, Pinder/Kemp

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Give me Anthony Rizzo to split DH and 1B with Abreu and Kyle Schwarber for RF. I don't care about the history with the Cubs. Left handed problems solved. Instantly the best lineup in the league. Give Andrew Vaughn the Jordan Love treatment. Or trade him.

best lineup in the league.  And worst defense in the league.

• Fire 2

1 minute ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

1. You forgot to add into the Samardzija tragedy that KW/RH looked at a 73 win team from the previous season and said, "Durrr, all this team needs in Jeff Samardzija, and we're on our way!" I think I got banned from WSI for a month. Holy shit, that was so fucking moronic. I would have fired every fucking body in the front office for that stupid shit.

2. I think someone finally found a Bassitt trade that I'd do. Throw in Micker Adolfo into that mix.

They signed a lot more than just Samardzija that offseason.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, wegner said:

I always thought the Cubbies would bring back Rizzo to placate the fan base...he's awfully popular there.

I am hopeful the Cubbies want to bring back Kimbrel to placate the fan base.