Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

Just now, Tnetennba said:

I would guess not.  150 might be a bit high but less than 120 feels low to me.

They will try to push him past 120 but we saw last year with both Kopech and Rodon that the body sometimes says “nope”.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It can be done but also requires depth that we are currently lacking.  Tony makes it even more difficult to your point.

I don't particularly trust any of the AAA or AAAA arms in the system.  I doubt TLR does either.  Unless they add depth I fear he will burn through Kopech's innings pretty quick.

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

25 starts at an average of 6 per is 150. Thing he has that in him?

I don’t think he’ll average 6 innings per start, but I also think he’ll be forced to make more than 25 starts given the crazy schedule.  5 x 28 is 140 innings and that’s kind of what I’m expecting if he’s healthy.  I really think Kopech gets moved to the bullpen come October and will be fully unleashed in 2023.  Unfortunately Tony really mishandled Kopech last year and didn’t get him the innings he needed to go beyond 140.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They will try to push him past 120 but we saw last year with both Kopech and Rodon that the body sometimes says “nope”.

Maybe he's lucky and stays completely healthy, but it's not something you can really bank on over a whole season.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t think he’ll average 6 innings per start, but I also think he’ll be forced to make more than 25 starts given the crazy schedule.  5 x 28 is 140 innings and that’s kind of what I’m expecting if he’s healthy.  I really think Kopech gets moved to the bullpen come October and will be fully unleashed in 2023.  Unfortunately Tony really mishandled Kopech last year and didn’t get him the innings he needed to go beyond 140.

People are sorta memory holing the whole hamstring issue and fading stuff at times after coming back from that. I love Kopech, his spirit especially is impressive as is his talent but to this point his body (and to an extent his brain) just haven't been there. Rooting hard for him to prove me wrong but so far his record is what it is. I don't blame Tony, most of Kopech's issues happened before TLR got here.

12 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Could be, if it's for Montas.
Sheets for Bassitt would be ridiculously lazy and a great way to rebuild Oakland again, like Hahn did several years ago.
And then add on Conforto, when Sheets out-hit him by a mile last year.

Did you say the same thing about the Lance Lynn trade as well?

And for the love of god, can we please stop using one year of performance as the end all be all for evaluating a player?  Like look at Conforto’s numbers from 2017 to 2020 before saying this shit.  He was hurt last year and it impacted his numbers.  Context matters.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

2 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I think Sheets is gonna be a beast.

Nope, after no one believed in him in the minors because of lack of power there aren't going to be too many round these parts thinking 2021 was real. It was a fluke showing a lot of power because well umm his AB's were cherry picked ? That's the advantage of being LH ,there's a ton of RH pitchers to pick cherries from. But Vaughn was raw at the beginning of the year and tired at the end of the year and has a massive pedigree. I'd still give Vaughn a much higher chance of a better career than Sheets . But I'm not thinking either one is a finished product offensively or defensively. I'm not convinced that Vaughn is more valuable to the Sox right now then Sheets is. The operative words being "right now". Maybe they both get traded. All I know is that the Sox need a LH or TOR type starting pitcher and LH mashing. How they go about getting both will inspire plenty of Sox talking.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Sheets is a nice stick, but people acting like he's the second coming is silly.  I'm selling high and not thinking twice.

I’d sell high too.  Just not sure 1 season of Bassitt qualifies. 

11 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I wonder how long we'll have to wait for teams/players/agents to act like they don't have deals ready to go

Yeah I'm getting irritated by this now. It's been several hours already, I think there's been a decent interval where they can claim they used that time to negotiate a deal.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I wonder how long we'll have to wait for teams/players/agents to act like they don't have deals ready to go

All of us hoping it would kick off the instant the lockout ended were probably being a little overzealous.  I could see things heating up early afternoon tomorrow.  Enough time to let the CBA news to settle and get the rumor mill churning.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s a massive innings increase and one that puts the 2023 season at risk.

Its not and anyone saying it is, is lying.  

Kopech has already pitched 135 and 125 innings in a season

He even went from 56 to 135 the following season already so everyone needs to shut up about the innings.  

Kopech will get to 150+ easy assuming good health and management and he has already jumped that much before and was fine. 

Health will be key but innings are a non factor 

• Haha 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I’d sell high too.  Just not sure 1 season of Bassitt qualifies. 

That's fair.  I would do it w/o thinking twice but I'm not high on Sheets being much more than a platoon DH.  I don't think he nets Bassitt+ though.