Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You guys have significantly more faith in Tony than I do.  All it takes is one injury in the rotation and easing Kopech in will be near impossible, especially with less off days and more double headers.  I’d rather not gamble my post season chances on that.

Kopech was already eased in last year.  There really will not be much easing going on this season.  Maybe a skipped start here or there or a 6 man rotation for a little bit

Edited by Polar Bear
  • Like 1

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Sale went from 71 innings to 192 in one season. 

First of all, Sale went from 140ish to 140ish to 71 to 192, counting college and the gulf coast league. 

Second of all, after he made that jump, he had elbow trouble serious enough that the white Sox announced he was permanently going to the bullpen. It took him swearing at KW to stay in the rotation. Not only do we want to avoid that near miss injury, “fighting with management is ok” is a lesson we wish we could take back.

14 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

In reality our rotation should be broken down as 

1: Giotlito

2: Lance Lynn

3: Michael Kopech

4: Dylan Cease

5/6: ReyLo/Keuchel 

Whoever starts and whoever is the 6th man will be determined in ST.  If we somehow get another starter then it drops Keuchel off imo. 

You would pretty much have to eat all but $6-8 million of his 2022 contract to get him off the roster...

• Thanks 1

Just now, caulfield12 said:

You would pretty much have to eat all but $6-8 million of his 2022 contract to get him off the roster...

They ain't signing or getting anyone else was my point.  Only way is if they completely soured on ReyLo and put him as the long man in pen 

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You know the history of 100+ innings increases right?  I wouldn’t bank on a person sample with an incredibly important arm.

It's now or never. They could build in a midseason IL stint close to the ASB. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Kopech was already eased in last year.  There really will not be much easing going on this season.  Maybe a skipped start here or there or a 6 man rotation for a little bit

Are they going to have him pitch 4 innings per game then?  Otherwise he’ll blow out 140 innings before October.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You guys have significantly more faith in Tony than I do.  All it takes is one injury in the rotation and easing Kopech in will be near impossible, especially with less off days and more double headers.  I’d rather not gamble my post season chances on that.

There are smart & rational ways to get him rest throughout the season so he's strong come October.  TLR is still the manager of this club however so feel free to throw smart & rational out the window.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

I am in your camp.  He isn't worth that big of a contract. If they spend that much, spend more and get Bryant. 

I'm with you. I'd sign Rodon before Conforto. Maybe if they outlawed the shift this year I'd be better with Conforto but teams are taking hits away from him. Conforto may sound like the ideal signing but it's always a scary thought to sign someone to a long term deal coming off a career worst yr., who isn't all that on defense either. I don't see the Sox signing anyone to a 4 year deal among the free agents.

I don't have a RF solution but sign Rodon, get rid of Kimbrel and find a LH RF to trade for who can field. Ketel Marte ? sign Odubel Herrera ? See if the D'Backs will trade Daulton Varsho ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

First of all, Sale went from 140ish to 140ish to 71 to 192, counting college and the gulf coast league. 

Second of all, after he made that jump, he had elbow trouble serious enough that the white Sox announced he was permanently going to the bullpen. It took him swearing at KW to stay in the rotation. Not only do we want to avoid that near miss injury, “fighting with management is ok” is a lesson we wish we could take back.

3rd of all it was Chris Fucking Sale who isn't exactly the median case for Michael, as much as I love his talent. 

I'm with the people that think we need 7 deep. Get more arms in here. I expect Lance to have more issues too. Everyone is getting older on the staff and some of them are injury prone to say the least. 

I'm as optimistic on Kopech's career as basically anyone. On a per start basis, I think there's a good chance he's the best SP in the rotation. But anyone expecting him to follow the career trajectory of the best pitcher any of us has ever seen on the White Sox is wishful thinking.

People are also operating under the assumption that Gio, Lynn, & Cease will all take 32 turns through the rotation each. Which would be great, but the odds are guys will get hurt and miss more starts than we're expecting. Keuchel is fine in a depth role but just because he's making big money this year shouldn't guarantee him a rotation spot. If David Price could open last season in the Dodgers bullpen, there's no reason Keuchel can't do that with the Sox.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I mean I’d love to run a $250M payroll too and have TOR SP but I just know it’s not gonna happen. This team operates within a budget they’ve already smashed tbh. 

9 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Got real high hopes and expectations for kopech, but might want to relax on proclaiming hum better than giolito and Lynn. 

I said he “might” be our best SP. hyperbole was intended, but I do believe he has a chance to be very special. Probably will only see flashes of that in 22, tho. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean I’d love to run a $250M payroll too and have TOR SP but I just know it’s not gonna happen. This team operates within a budget they’ve already smashed tbh. 

Then in that case, they should consider selling some of those low level minor league pieces or guys who are blocked to create some starting pitching depth. This is the unfortunate result of their choices to push guys like Kopech and Crochet to the bullpen and their other scouting misses, that’s the price to pay.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

That’s why they likely trade for a more reasonable priced starter with limited control from a team like the A’s or Reds.  Whether you agree with the philosophy, they literally just did this last year with Lynn and aren’t afraid to trade assets for a rental. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but Sheets being involved in a trade for one of the Oakland SP's would make a lot of sense.

He's a viable, cheap alternative since it seems like a given they'll deal Olson.

Could be, if it's for Montas.
Sheets for Bassitt would be ridiculously lazy and a great way to rebuild Oakland again, like Hahn did several years ago.
And then add on Conforto, when Sheets out-hit him by a mile last year.

Edited by GreenSox

6 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

There are smart & rational ways to get him rest throughout the season so he's strong come October.  TLR is still the manager of this club however so feel free to throw smart & rational out the window.

It can be done but also requires depth that we are currently lacking.  Tony makes it even more difficult to your point.

• Like 2