Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

11 minutes ago, poppysox said:

A deal might be built around two former 1st rounders like Burger and Collins.

Wouldn't be the first time people liked the pedigree of former 1st rounders.  Rebuilding clubs often go for multiple prospects when they need help everywhere.  

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Rey might be needed in the pen more.

I'm hoping they get one more reliever to make that less likely. With Hendriks and Graveman already from the right side it could allow Lopez to spot start.

Crochet may get a couple of short spot starts as well.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It wasn't just last year.  He's been over 100 innings 4 times in 7 seasons.  He's also qualified for the ERA title exactly once in those 7 years.

Understood. And I've been critical of Rodon in the past, because for much of his tenure here, he looked like a two-legged hippo who didn't take care of his body. 

To his credit, since the surgery Rodon has looked more fit, as a professional with any sort of pride should look.

But Bassitt also has downside risks to his future performance that can't be ignored. Whats more, Bassitt will cost trade assets and cash. Rodon just costs cash.

Just use cash.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

8 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Or Lopez. If they sign Rodon, it will essentially be a 6 man rotation. The 6 th man will take many spots starts to rest Kopech and Rodon.

I'd be perfectly fine with that. LAD routinely build a rotation that has more than 5 guys start more than 10 times in a season.

We need the depth, IMO.

56 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

I don't get the love for Conforto....unless they get him for one year.   I think three of their most interesting prospects are RF...Adolfo, Cespedes and Colas.  I think there is a real chance one of them is ready for 2023 opening day.  Cespedes and Colas fit in perfectly with the idea of a young team and maybe an all Cuban outfield.  I think ONE season of Sheets/Vaughn/Engel would be as good as Conforto (who has not been a great fielder) and much cheaper.  Vaughn needs to be hitting every day because I think he has potential to be the best hitter on a team with a lot of great hitters and having positional flexibility is the hot new concept.    Use the money on Rodon and maybe offer a Montgomery/Vera ++ package for Ketel Marte to play 2b and cover for Robert in CF periodically.   

There is almost no chance that Adolfo is a part of this organization five weeks from now, Cespedes wasn’t very good last year from an offensive perspective, and Colas has played zero games in the US.  We should not let any of these guys impact the decision-making in the midst of our competitive window.  Remember when we thought one of Rutherford, Basabe, Gonzalez, Adolfo, Cordell, Tilson, etc. would be the answer for RF?  Unfortunately that did not work out for us.

And I don’t think there is any chance a Vaughn/Sheets/Engel is going to match a healthy Conforto.  The bulk of any offensive value the first two guys provide would be negated by their extremely poor defensive contributions.  We’ve dicked around with RF for far too long and need to get it right while we’re legit World Series contenders.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

There is almost no chance that Adolfo is a part of this organization five weeks from now, Cespedes wasn’t very good last year from an offensive perspective, and Colas has played zero games in the US.  We should not let any of these guys impact the decision-making in the midst of our competitive window.  Remember when we thought one of Rutherford, Basabe, Gonzalez, Adolfo, Cordell, Tilson, etc. would be the answer for RF?  Unfortunately that did not work out for us.

And I don’t think there is any chance a Vaughn/Sheets/Engel is going to match a healthy Conforto.  The bulk of any offensive value the first two guys provide would be negated by their extremely poor defensive contributions.  We’ve dicked around with RF for far too long and need to get it right while we’re legit World Series contenders.

This x100

Quit dicking around, Dick. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

I know it wouldn't be popular but I still think the improvement will come from a better than expected 2nd base acquisition (Marte) and quality SP (Rodon).  The Vaughn/Sheets/Engel/Garcia needs to be used somewhere and RF can be used as that place.  Defense suffers a bit but it isn't like the names being talked about are Roberto Clemente types.

Vaughn & Sheets were Jermaine Dye bad in RF.  The defense will suffer much more than a bit.  Was I the only who watched the playoffs and saw Leury’s shit defense cost us in the OF?  Just get an average fielder out there and it will allow Robert to cheat more towards LF and offset the shit defense we can’t avoid out there.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Vaughn & Sheets were Jermaine Dye bad in RF.  The defense will suffer much more than a bit.  Was I the only who watched the playoffs and saw Leury’s shit defense cost us in the OF?  Just get an average fielder out there and it will allow Robert to cheat more towards LF and offset the shit defense we can’t avoid out there.

I don't remember Dye being a bad RFer. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I think posters are laser-focused on the v RHP thing. That Conforto is a LHH means that he's the best solution to them.

But, i think this roster has more needs than "just" the v RHP issue. They need OF defense, a non-negative WAR 2B solution, and about 100-120 or so more IP in the rotation.

But because the v RHP was emphasized this past postseason, I think we as a board are missing some of the other evident needs.

I wouldn't mind Conforto, but I agree with you that there are downside risks with him, as there would be with any FA signing. But I wouldn't lose my shit if they missed out on Conforto, either.

If we missed out on Conforto AND Suzuki, THEN I'll lose my shit.

There are downside risks to Conforto who has an excellent track prior to an injury riddled season but there aren’t for Suzuki a guy who has never played stateside?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

why not?

27 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Understood. And I've been critical of Rodon in the past, because for much of his tenure here, he looked like a two-legged hippo who didn't take care of his body. 

To his credit, since the surgery Rodon has looked more fit, as a professional with any sort of pride should look.

But Bassitt also has downside risks to his future performance that can't be ignored. Whats more, Bassitt will cost trade assets and cash. Rodon just costs cash.

Just use cash.

Just cash doesn't help you if you still need to replace the guy.  It also means you have less just cash later on if he inevitably gets hurt again.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m assuming a rebuilding team will claim him and eventually try to sneak him through waivers.  Unless we’re committed to him on the 25 man roster he’s as good as gone IMO.

Was curious how this would work for Rule 5 eligible guys now that the draft was cancelled. Does he still need to sit on an MLB roster of the claiming team if claimed?

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Was curious how this would work for Rule 5 eligible guys now that the draft was cancelled. Does he still need to sit on an MLB roster of the claiming team if claimed?

His status is that he is out of options.  So while he is on the 40 man roster, and therefore wouldn't have been exposed to the Rule 5, he still either needs to make a major league roster, or he needs to be exposed to waivers to be sent to the minors.  He doesn't need to be on the roster all year to be kept, but he would need to clear waivers to go to the minors.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yes.  My guess is he is passed around a few MLB rosters until he finally clears waivers.  Wouldn't be shocked to see a rebuilding team give him a go, but the Ks are a real issue.  

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

There are downside risks to Conforto who has an excellent track prior to an injury riddled season but there aren’t for Suzuki a guy who has never played stateside?

Re-read what was written. I didn't make the strawman argument you just posted. I wrote:

49 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I wouldn't mind Conforto, but I agree with you that there are downside risks with him, as there would be with any FA signing.

See?

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

18 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Calling them Jermaine Dye is an insult to JD’s less than stellar defense.  Let’s be real here. 

• Like 1