Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Letting Bryant, Baez, Schwarber and Rizzo all walk then signing Correa to a monster deal makes absolutely no sense.  

I disagree...they were able to stock the farm while being able to spend on a younger player that they’ve always coveted .

19 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The key to signing Rodon is how many years it will take. With his history a 4 or 5 year deal would be awful.

Agreed.

But I also think that a 3 year deal would be ideal for Rodon as well. Hes 29 years old now, so a 3 year deal HERE can get him a ring, and maybe a CY, so as to make himself generationally famous in a top market.

Once this deal is over, he can, at age 32, use Borass to go rob some stupid FO to make himself generationally wealthy.

It takes health and continued improvement, but there's a path forward for Rodon and our SOX.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I disagree...they were able to stock the farm while being able to spend on a younger player that they’ve always coveted .

Stock the farm?  It's not even that good and their best ones are far away from the big leagues.  Meanwhile they have holes all over the field and in the pitching staff. They're a few years away from being competitive again with or without Correa.    

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Stock the farm?  It's not even that good and their best ones are far away from the big leagues.  Meanwhile they have holes all over the field and in the pitching staff. They're a few years away from being competitive again with or without Correa.    

Yeah definitely not buying into those fluke seasons from those 30 year olds Schwindel, Ortega and Wisdom.

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

But that’s why they like Correa...he’s young enough where he should be able to still be good when Davis and others are ready.  Personally I think Correa will age poorly...and I just think he’s an asshole

28 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

I don't get the love for Conforto....unless they get him for one year.   I think three of their most interesting prospects are RF...Adolfo, Cespedes and Colas.  I think there is a real chance one of them is ready for 2023 opening day.  Cespedes and Colas fit in perfectly with the idea of a young team and maybe an all Cuban outfield.  I think ONE season of Sheets/Vaughn/Engel would be as good as Conforto (who has not been a great fielder) and much cheaper.  Vaughn needs to be hitting every day because I think he has potential to be the best hitter on a team with a lot of great hitters and having positional flexibility is the hot new concept.    Use the money on Rodon and maybe offer a Montgomery/Vera ++ package for Ketel Marte to play 2b and cover for Robert in CF periodically.   

I think posters are laser-focused on the v RHP thing. That Conforto is a LHH means that he's the best solution to them.

But, i think this roster has more needs than "just" the v RHP issue. They need OF defense, a non-negative WAR 2B solution, and about 100-120 or so more IP in the rotation.

But because the v RHP was emphasized this past postseason, I think we as a board are missing some of the other evident needs.

I wouldn't mind Conforto, but I agree with you that there are downside risks with him, as there would be with any FA signing. But I wouldn't lose my shit if they missed out on Conforto, either.

If we missed out on Conforto AND Suzuki, THEN I'll lose my shit.

33 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

I don't get the love for Conforto....unless they get him for one year.   I think three of their most interesting prospects are RF...Adolfo, Cespedes and Colas.  I think there is a real chance one of them is ready for 2023 opening day.  Cespedes and Colas fit in perfectly with the idea of a young team and maybe an all Cuban outfield.  I think ONE season of Sheets/Vaughn/Engel would be as good as Conforto (who has not been a great fielder) and much cheaper.  Vaughn needs to be hitting every day because I think he has potential to be the best hitter on a team with a lot of great hitters and having positional flexibility is the hot new concept.    Use the money on Rodon and maybe offer a Montgomery/Vera ++ package for Ketel Marte to play 2b and cover for Robert in CF periodically.   

Adolfo can be removed from any and all analysis. He will be out of the org in mere weeks as he’s out of options. 

The Sox should not be counting on Cespedes and Colas for anything. If one of them becomes an average everyday regular, that’s a huge win. In the off chance that happens, it’s a good thing. 

If you sign Conforto for 3 or 4 years for $18-20M and he reverts back to the guys he’s always been, you have a bargain and legit trade chip. You can choose between Colas/Cespedes and Conforto at that point. These are good problems to have. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, SoxBlanco said:

The projections are fine to look at, but what do you actually believe will happen?  Do you think Rodon or Bassitt will have a higher WAR next year?

There is no question that Rodon has the higher ceiling, but I also think it is incredibly more likely that Bassitt will give you the innings that this team needs to get through a season.  The question isn't Rodon or Bassitt, it is Rodon AND Stiever or Bassitt.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Adolfo can be removed from any and all analysis. He will be out of the org in mere weeks as he’s out of options. 

If Oakland is rebuilding I wonder if Adolfo could be a usable second or third piece in a trade with them.

1 hour ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Fair question.

First, Rodon's medicals apparently look good. Second, Rodon was just returning to the rotation after a few years away, so of course he was going to wear down in his first full time season back in a few years.

Third, Bassitt is 33, and may be starting his age-related decline. He also benefitted from the green acres of foul area in Oakland and the Marine layer, both of which can attenuate enemy offenses in Oakland. Taken together, I think Bassitt will underperform his 2021 numbers, and might start his decline.

In sum, I think Rodon will be good for his ~3.0ish fWAR projection, while Bassitt will fall short of ~2.0ish fWAR if he pitches in a neutral or offensively-favorable ballpark.

Gee, I wonder who had that put out there.

30 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

My one buddy, who is a die-hard Cubs fan, claimed the Cubs were only 2 bats away from being good BEFORE the off-season started (completely ignoring their pitching it seems). He will be even more insufferable if Correa signs with the Cubs. So please don’t go there. 

I kind of hope that cheater goes to the Cubs.  Perfect fit.  They will suck and I can hate him even harder.

• Haha 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

There is no question that Rodon has the higher ceiling, but I also think it is incredibly more likely that Bassitt will give you the innings that this team needs to get through a season.  The question isn't Rodon or Bassitt, it is Rodon AND Stiever or Bassitt.

Or Lopez. If they sign Rodon, it will essentially be a 6 man rotation. The 6 th man will take many spots starts to rest Kopech and Rodon.

59 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

And they also had Sale, Quintana, Eaton and Abreu who all looked like rising stars.  Sometimes you push the accelerator prematurely.  Shark was coming off a 4WAR season and looked like maybe he was a rising star.   Evaluating trades in retrospect is stupid. It didn't work. Neither did the Shields trade 18 months later. 

Those trades looked terrible at the time they were made.  In retrospect, they were disastrous.
The same GM and the same #2 are still in charge, so it's impossible to forget them (nor should they be).  And I would prefer that they dynamic duo not create another "have to rebuild" situation.

• Like 1

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

That's what I was thinking too. It hurts his value that he can't be sent down to the minors though.

That shouldn’t matter for a truly rebuilding team (still no clue how he wasn’t sent to Arizona for Escobar last year for that reason).

Just now, Two-Gun Pete said:

Fair point.

But I think Rodon wearing down was more due to him being away from full time duty than any more recent injury.

I'd still take him over Bassitt.

It wasn't just last year.  He's been over 100 innings 4 times in 7 seasons.  He's also qualified for the ERA title exactly once in those 7 years.