Seiya Suzuki (RF) Rumors

caulfield12

https://www.si.com/mlb/phillies/around-mlb/who-favorites-land-seiya-suzuki-after-mlb-lockout-trade-rumors-gossip
From this article, seems the Red Sox, Rangers and Mariners are three of the favorites.   Specifically for those bored with Conforto, Bryant, Castellanos and Eddie Rosario rumors.

But the ZiPS translations for Suzuki put him in the .280 to .290 range in batting average — almost Wade Boggs in 2020s MLB — with 20-30 homers per year and an OBP somewhere around .350. Translations for NPB aren’t going to be quite as accurate as the ones for organized baseball over here, but at this point, we have a great deal of data from the players coming back and forth from Japan, considerably more than we have for Korea.

Projected in a neutral park, ZiPS has Suzuki as a better-than-league-average corner outfielder but one who projects below All-Star levels without another step forward:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/projecting-seiya-suzuki/

Giants, Padres, Cubs also mentioned

https://www.mlb.com/news/seiya-suzuki-rumors

March 10: Suzuki among top remaining free agents
The 27-year-old Japanese outfielder is one of the most intriguing free agents left on the market, and a whole lot of teams are reported to be interested. The Mariners and Giants look like they're frontrunners, and Suzuki fits well with both clubs. The Red Sox could be a landing spot, too, since they have a need for a righty slugging corner outfielder -- Suzuki hit 38 home runs for the NPB's Hiroshima Carp in 2021. Japan's Nikkan Sports also reported in January that the Padres and Cubs could be among the finalists once Suzuki's negotiations resume. Whoever signs him could be getting a 20-plus home run hitter.

Edited by caulfield12

.I know there haven't been any rumors linking the SOX to him, but he's the RFer I'd want.

The ZIPs projection has him being similar in WAR to Conforto, at a fraction of the price; I think they underestimate his defense, though. I think a NPB Gold Glove probably translates pretty easily. Oh, and he's 27, so there's room for growth as he still should be entering his prime.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 1

This Link spells out one reason why I favor Suzuki.

Here's a comp from that link:

Seiya Suzuki's career NPB numbers (age 27): .316/.415/.572; .987 OPS, 170 wRC+.

Hideki Matsui career NPB numbers (age 29): .304/.413/.582; .996 OPS, 168 wRC+.

Pretty similar, right? Except two things: Suzuki's only 27, and unlike Godzilla, Suzuki is a Gold Glover. Matsui's lack of a glove was his Achilles heel.

What would Matsui be worth if he could actually field?

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Pretty similar, right? Except two things: Suzuki's only 27, and unlike Godzilla, Suzuki is a Gold Glover. Matsui's lack of a glove was his Achilles heel.

You definitely have me intrigued by this guy. Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

If they strike out on Conforto or Castellanos, I'd be interested.  Its a risk, but potentially better than the nothing currently manning RF.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I would be OK with the guy for sure, I love the glove with Eloy and Vaughn on the other side of the OF.  The thing is I have yet to hear us be connected to him.

Yeah at this point I would be shocked if the Sox are in on him

One other thing on Suzuki being compared to Matsui:

Baseball Reference shows him as having stolen 25 bases as recently as 2019, but he also got caught 16 times. 

Hideki Matsui never had a double-digit SB year in NPB or MLB.

What this means is that Suzuki has far more footspeed and athleticism, both in the OF, and on the basepaths than Matsui, who was more station to station.

So, a comp could be: a younger, more athletic Hideki Matsui with a gold glove.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I would be OK with the guy for sure, I love the glove with Eloy and Vaughn on the other side of the OF.  The thing is I have yet to hear us be connected to him.

Exactly what I'm thinking as the fit for this roster.

And no, I don't have any info in terms of the SOX being linked to him. They'd be morons to not be at least interested, IMO.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

14 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

If they strike out on Conforto or Castellanos, I'd be interested.  Its a risk, but potentially better than the nothing currently manning RF.

I want no part of Castellanos; despite the bat, he's yet another 1B/DH type posing as an OFer.

I'd be good with Conforto or Suzuki, but a lack of actual OFers in the roster has sucked.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I prefer him vs the boards picks of Comforto and Castellanos. 

If nothing else, it would completely run contrary to typical White Sox free agency form…sort of a breath of fresh air.

Have never understood our lack of open-mindedness the last 15+ years on Pacific Rim players.  Seems we only signed maybe one South Korean and one Taiwanese pitcher that entire time frame.

Finally, the marketing angle in a city where we are always going to trail the Cubs unless Ricketts starts contributing to Putin directly or something similarly outlandish.

Edited by caulfield12

9 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

.I know there haven't been any rumors linking the SOX to him, but he's the RFer I'd want.

The ZIPs projection has him being similar in WAR to Conforto, at a fraction of the price; I think they underestimate his defense, though. I think a NPB Gold Glove probably translates pretty easily. Oh, and he's 27, so there's room for growth as he still should be entering his prime.

He is an interesting guy but zeroes linking him to us.  RH flies under the radar so you never know.

2 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I want no part of Castellanos; despite the bat, he's yet another 1B/DH type posing as an OFer.

I'd be good with Conforto or Suzuki, but a lack of actual OFers in the roster has sucked.

I agree.

17 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

If nothing else, it would completely run contrary to typical White Sox free agency form…sort of a breath of fresh air.

Have never understood our lack of open-mindedness the last 15+ years on Pacific Rim players.  Seems we only signed maybe one South Korean and one Taiwanese pitcher that entire time frame.

Finally, the marketing angle in a city where we are always going to trail the Cubs unless Ricketts starts contributing to Putin directly or something similarly outlandish.

Tadahito Iguchi as well. I think this would be the smart play for RF, which is of course why the White Sox are nowhere in the picture.