Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Where is this Harrison is a great defender narrative coming from? He's been a neutral or negative defender via multipl metrics since 2017.

I feel like his floor is average, but you never know how a guy who just turned 35 will age. OAA absolutely loved his defense last year, FWIW. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Where is this Harrison is a great defender narrative coming from? He's been a neutral or negative defender via multipl metrics since 2017.

And iff it's all about defense, Hernandez is a better defender than Harrision, and he was deemed not good enough by the White Sox front office.

They obviously got caught with their pants down on this one. Either they thought they could get a guy like Story cheap and move him to2B or teams would be giving away players, whatever it was, it was a huge error at a time they need to be accurate.

• Like 1
  • Hawk 1

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Limits on these at BO are microscopic, so I'd wait on some Pinnacle or Bookmaker #'s, but that said this feels about right. Sox are in a bad division which hopefully should inflate their win totals a bit.

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I just have no idea why people here can say this with such confidence. They haven't been legitimately linked to him outside of the "he'd be a good fit" crowd. 

At this point, I'd be surprised if the Sox even have an offer out there for Conforto.

I agree. They may have looked into it and said "call us if the number of years goes down, we are not doing 5 year." Who knows what the market is currently. Boras definitely doesn't like the current ones. Maybe he signs a 3 year deal with an opt out after 1.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Limits on these at BO are microscopic, so I'd wait on some Pinnacle or Bookmaker #'s, but that said this feels about right. Sox are in a bad division which hopefully should inflate their win totals a bit.

Yeah take the over all day on that one.

Edited by ptatc

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

I feel like his floor is average, but you never know how a guy who just turned 35 will age. OAA absolutely loved his defense last year, FWIW. 

Yeah, OAA liked him; UZR, DRS, and FG didn't like him so much. Defensive metrics are pretty voliatile in general, I'll usually take the average or culmination of them all over about a 3 year window. Doing that, he's pretty neutral - just looking at 2B. He's been pretty solid at 3B, but not really needed. He's been terrible everywhere else.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

And iff it's all about defense, Hernandez is a better defender than Harrision, and he was deemed not good enough by the White Sox front office.

They obviously got caught with their pants down on this one. Either they thought they could get a guy like Story cheap and move him to2B or teams would be giving away players, whatever it was, it was a huge error at a time they need to be accurate.

The page had to turn the corner on Cesar.  He wasn't an option.  Not only did his defense disappoint significantly with the Sox, he clearly didn't fit in and the guy looked miserable and uninterested.  They had to try someone else. I can't believe people have been routinely supporting bringing back Cesar Hernandez since Harrison signed.  The guy is a fucking bump on a log.  I would have preferred nearly any of the other 4-5 legitimate 2B options. 

• Like 2

Just now, chw42 said:

WHO ARE THE 2 OTHERS JON? I hate when he does this shit. 

Twins are probably involved. Story makes way more sense for them than Conforto. 

Completely agree on the Twins. He can play SS and hit the market again in 9 months.

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Who has Conforto been legitimately linked to Ray Ray? 

Not the Sox?

Difference is I don't think a lot of other fanbases are out their floating offers their teams have probably made to a guy they haven't been linked to.

Also difference is teams like the Red Sox have openly admitted they're still looking to acquire some marquee free agents. Mets have recently leaked their offer to Conforto and discussed AAV.

The Sox have basically openly bowed out of the FA discussions, at least publicly. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

The page had to turn the corner on Cesar.  He wasn't an option.  Not only did his defense disappoint significantly with the Sox, he clearly didn't fit in and the guy looked miserable and uninterested.  They had to try someone else. I can't believe people have been routinely supporting bringing back Cesar Hernandez since Harrison signed.  The guy is a fucking bump on a log.  I would have preferred nearly any of the other 4-5 legitimate 2B options. 

Everyone looks like that when they are struggling. He was really good until the Field of Dreams game. That's when it all fell apart. If you were a Tigers or A's fan, you would probably wonder how the hell Harrison got anything but a minor league deal. Not a contract to be a regular on a team that's supposed to contend.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

People are asking for Cesar back instead because he's unquestionably better than Josh Harrison; despite what you feel about his "demeanor" or "emotional fit."

Just now, flavum said:

Completely agree on the Twins. He can play SS and hit the market again in 9 months.

The narrative for Story before was that he wouldn't switch positions and turned down 9 figure deals to play 2B. The 2 teams Heyman just listed are both teams that he'd have to switch positions for. Bogaerts has been adamant he isn't moving to 2B and the Giants have Crawford. 

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Not the Sox?

Difference is I don't think a lot of other fanbases are out their floating offers their teams have probably made to a guy they haven't been linked to.

Also difference is teams like the Red Sox have openly admitted they're still looking to acquire some marquee free agents. Mets have recently leaked their offer to Conforto and discussed AAV.

The Sox have basically openly bowed out of the FA discussions, at least publicly. 

He hasn't been linked to anyone. I don't really care to debate to what extent the media has linked Conforto to the Sox.  Its a meaningless conversation.  You don't think they'll sign him?  Shocking.  We'll see what happens. 

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Everyone looks like that when they are struggling. He was really good until the Field of Dreams game. That's when it all fell apart. If you were a Tigers or A's fan, you would probably wonder how the hell Harrison got anything but a minor league deal. Not a contract to be a regular on a team that's supposed to contend.

That's fair.  

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

People are asking for Cesar back instead because he's unquestionably better than Josh Harrison; despite what you feel about his "demeanor" or "emotional fit."

Ray Ray always knows best! 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

He hasn't been linked to anyone. I don't really care to debate to what extent the media has linked Conforto to the Sox.  Its a meaningless conversation.  You don't think they'll sign him?  Shocking.  We'll see what happens. 

Pal, you posted:

"The Sox are definitely interested in Conforto, even if it hasn't been super publically stated."

How can you state something so absolutely without an inkling of evidence supporting your claim? Then get upset by anyone calling the proclamation without merit?

Just now, KBX said:

Why would Story need to play 2B? 

Anderson: -9 DRS, -23.4 UZR, -5.5 UZR/150

Story: 9 DRS, 15.4 UZR, 2.8 UZR/150

Story's question mark is his bat outside of Denver.

Because if Story doesn't sign long-term, it's hard to tell a franchise player like Anderson or Bogaerts to move positions for a guy who's gonna be there short-term. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Ray Ray always knows best! 

Your passive aggressiveness is similar to my wifes. 

Josh Harrison hasn't had a better/more productive season than Cesar Hernandez since 2015. Harrison is also 3 years older than him. In what world is that me knowing best? 

It's stating data based on actual outcomes that Josh Harrison is not as good of a player as Cesar Hernandez. 

• Like 2

• Quin locked this topic