Arb cases happening today

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The fact that anyone is shocked by this is what's shocking.

This is kinda low even for the White Sox. For a good long while they took pride in avoiding the contentious arbitration cases because telling your players why they're bad and you don't want them isn't a good look. There's precedent in the org's longer history, but this is still pretty darn low.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

This is kinda low even for the White Sox. For a good long while they took pride in avoiding the contentious arbitration cases because telling your players why they're bad and you don't want them isn't a good look. There's precedent in the org's longer history, but this is still pretty darn low.

The fans only know what they read in the newspapers. He's a pretty ruthless business man. And I do agree with GREEDY that negotiating is a tricky thing. It's like the more you give in the more they want because then you are soft and soft people are easier to manipulate. The old saying "Give an inch , take a mile" was never truer .

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I remember when people used to say the Sox couldn't give out a big free agent contract because they were worried about signing their core, such as Giolito, when he became a FA soon. 

So much for saving that money to give to their guys, huh? lol

C'mon now Ray, how do we know that 50K isn't going on the back end of the Giolito extension?  Now you are just not being fair.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Between this, his lack of a long term extension, his serving on the major league CBA negotiations group, and now this, I think you can start counting down on the Lucas Giolito tour.

I don't think they were ever going offer him a long term deal that kept him here, but this just seals that fate.  Gio is gone the moment he hits FA and I don't blame him one bit.

Just now, Tnetennba said:

I don't think they were ever going offer him a long term deal that kept him here, but this just seals that fate.  Gio is gone the moment he hits FA and I don't blame him one bit.

Maybe they'll offer him the QO next time. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

It most likely means he does not get to free agency with the Sox...which is unbelievable if they are looking to trade him...talk about not dealing from a position of strength.  This rotation is a bit icky without Giolito imo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tony said:

What an offseason! Just an incredible performance by these guys, really getting the fan base fired up. 

I wouldn’t be shocked at all if the season ticket base was down from April, 2020, with months of lockout talk and then this current malaise of an off-season.  Pretty much all that’s missing is KW saying we have no choice but to sign relievers and utility guys since you can’t spend $1 on Conforto when you only have 50 to 75 cents, one of the most memorable quotes in recent Sox history. 

11 minutes ago, wegner said:

It most likely means he does not get to free agency with the Sox...which is unbelievable if they are looking to trade him...talk about not dealing from a position of strength.  This rotation is a bit icky without Giolito imo.

Yeah, he's probably traded next winter before he even gets to FA.

Teams go to arbitration with their players all the time.  The Sox rarely do.  This all seems a bit petty over $50k (though the reported difference was $200k yesterday), and certainly $50k is less to an org than an individual.  But its a tad petty on Gio's side as well to air this out over $50k.  It is part of the game - just keep your mouth shut and go to arb like everyone else that wants more $. 

Look, Gio is gone in 2 years.  Said as much the other day before any of this went down.  He's going to want to get paid, and Sox won't be the high bidder.  He was never going to take an extension.  Enjoy his next 2 seasons - plenty of time left with Gio in black and white.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Just imagine for a second or two that Luis Robert decided to take more money to sign with the Cardinals, which is usually what happens in about 95-98% of similar cases…

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Nah this isn't true. This is very surprising. Sox very rarely go to arbitration. 

I didn't say that because of arbitration. I said to anyone shocked that the Sox are too stupid to know when they will be perceived as petty and cheap. I don't think they are a stupid FO.  I think JR is a bottom line and profit oriented kind of guy and anyone who knows that is never shocked by anything they do regarding saving money.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Thought this was really funny.  Great suggestions for Hahn in 5-7 years when we’re looking for another big-name free agent like Machado to anchor the rebuild/retooling.  As an alternative to Jay/Alonso/Friends & Family.

As homebuyers face fierce competition, many are seeking ways to stand out in the crowd – through gifts.

"We had a client send a seller to Hawaii to meet up with a daughter that he hasn't seen in a while,” Del Real said. “And so when they were in the home, they were kind of looking for clues and asking the right questions to the seller and the agent. They found out that the gentleman hadn't seen his daughter in over a decade.”

According to Del Real, a gift is an opportunity to connect with the seller in a way that makes your offer worth remembering. Importantly, potential homebuyers offer these gifts with no expectation of getting repaid or the offer.

“We've had Netflix subscriptions, car washes. And if you have 10 offers, and they all have some form of contingency, and you don't have a cash offer, usually it gets a giggle out of the seller,” Del Real said. “And again, it's just a tactic to make the offer memorable, and then at the same time, give you an opportunity to have a seat at the table to potentially get the deal.”

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/homebuyers-are-not-letting-down-as-mortgage-rates-rise-174212022.html

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I didn't say that because of arbitration. I said to anyone shocked that the Sox are too stupid to know when they will be perceived as petty and cheap. I don't think they are a stupid FO.  I think JR is a bottom line and profit oriented kind of guy and anyone who knows that is never shocked by anything they do regarding money.

When’s the last time they had a union/player rep that they DIDN’T end up having a contentious relationship and eventual denouement with…?

2 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

The Sox spent money - just on players that would provide marginal help.  But they spent.  This is de minimis.   Doesn't sound like a JR issue, unless there is some animus due to his being player rep.

New 2022 Theme Suggestion:  Win or Dye/Die Buying (Relievers and Utility Guys)

These Veterans Soon Won’t Be Able To Play So We Gave Them Millions Anyway

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Thought this was really funny.  Great suggestions for Hahn in 5-7 years when we’re looking for another big-name free agent like Machado to anchor the rebuild/retooling.  As an alternative to Jay/Alonso/Friends & Family.

As homebuyers face fierce competition, many are seeking ways to stand out in the crowd – through gifts.

"We had a client send a seller to Hawaii to meet up with a daughter that he hasn't seen in a while,” Del Real said. “And so when they were in the home, they were kind of looking for clues and asking the right questions to the seller and the agent. They found out that the gentleman hadn't seen his daughter in over a decade.”

According to Del Real, a gift is an opportunity to connect with the seller in a way that makes your offer worth remembering. Importantly, potential homebuyers offer these gifts with no expectation of getting repaid or the offer.

“We've had Netflix subscriptions, car washes. And if you have 10 offers, and they all have some form of contingency, and you don't have a cash offer, usually it gets a giggle out of the seller,” Del Real said. “And again, it's just a tactic to make the offer memorable, and then at the same time, give you an opportunity to have a seat at the table to potentially get the deal.”

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/homebuyers-are-not-letting-down-as-mortgage-rates-rise-174212022.html

A seat at the table...where have I heard that before?