Arb cases happening today

southsider2k5

Man this org seems to hold grudges against certain players. $50k is like a penny laying on the ground in this business. Absolutely ridiculous that they wouldn't pay one of their best pitchers $50k to avoid possibly going to arbitration IN-SEASON. Fuck this org. 

• Like 2

It is really hard to imagine a team in such a powerful position coming into the offseason having a much worst offseason without selling off the franchise players or something like that.

I literally can't figure out what is going on in our front office right now.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It is really hard to imagine a team in such a powerful position coming into the offseason having a much worst offseason without selling off the franchise players or something like that.

Paying 50 mil for a bullpen and haggling you’re best starter over a rounding error is certainly a choice

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The year Gerrit Cole nearly won the Cy Young award in Pittsburgh, he was still pre-arbitration. Pitt had given him one of those $50k bonuses teams give to high-performing pre-arb guys that season. Then, after he nearly won the Cy Young, they tried to take it away, effectively cutting his salary. Boras put that in the press and Pitt had to back down.

Just now, DirtySox said:

This annoys me more than the offseason moves so far. What the hell?

Spending like drunken sailors on role players and relievers. 

Penny pinching on one of your best starting pitchers.

That's the FO in a nutshell this off-season. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

You know what’s really crazy, we gave Vince Velasquez $3 mil and now we’re doing this to our ace pitcher. 

They're just trying to make up the difference cause they mis-judged the market. 

14 minutes ago, KipWellsFan said:

I have no defense for this. This doesn't seem like a team that is getting Conforto.

If there are other options for Conforto (and there seem to be plenty), why would he, or any free agent, choose to go to a team that treats their top players like this? Unless they’re overpaying, which the Sox never seem to do, at least for top talent (they regularly overpay guys like Leury), the top talent is never going to choose the Sox. 

11 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

You know what’s really crazy, we gave Vince Velasquez $3 mil and now we’re doing this to our ace pitcher

"crazy" seems to be the correct word here for sure.

• Like 1

Let's be real here, it's not about the miserable $50K they're holding back.   That's a drop in the bucket. 

It's this front office (Reinsdorf) trying to always hold some sort of made up moral standard in doing business.   "I'm right you're wrong" bullshit that never ends. 

There has to be more to this than what led to this embarrassment of $50K.

I almost guarantee the Sox approached Lucas with one those sweetheart low ball extensions to buy out arbitration + 2 seasons of FA and Lucas (union guy) told them to go fuck off.   So now this $50K ridiculousness is a way of the Sox telling him to go fuck off.

Yes, Lucas is long gone now and it's shame. 

5 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Let's be real here, it's not about the miserable $50K they're holding back.   That's a drop in the bucket. 

It's this front office (Reinsdorf) trying to always hold some sort of made up moral standard in doing business.   "I'm right you're wrong" bullshit that never ends. 

There has to be more to this than what led to this embarrassment of $50K.

I almost guarantee the Sox approached Lucas with one those sweetheart low ball extensions to buy out arbitration + 2 seasons of FA and Lucas (union guy) told them to go fuck off.   So now this $50K ridiculousness is a way of the Sox telling him to go fuck off.

Yes, Lucas is long gone now and it's shame. 

Its just the way the treated Black Jack. Make the situation so contentious, they don't get buried by the fanbase when they give him away.