TLR 2022 Thread

chitownsportsfan

19 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

This white Sox team with mostly the same players was 2nd in the AL and 4th in baseball in walks last year. They’re missing Moncada and they’ve swapped out backups, but this seems like a completely different approach more than personnel changes right?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wegner said:

Per an idea on the Banks thread....Don Kessinger is only 79.

I have his autograph on a trophy from back in the day when a starting MLB player would attend a youth league awards banquet to promote the team. 

10 hours ago, DanofDuPage said:

I have been in Tony’s corner. It is time for a change. This talent being beaten up by everyone in the AL Central. It has to be the coach or the system. This team is play is playing dead. So disappointed!

And take Katz with him. They have totally destroyed Liam. Blow up the whole staff. 

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

And take Katz with him. They have totally destroyed Liam. Blow up the whole staff. 

Or Liam has had a heavy workload the last five years and is slowly losing his stuff and location as a nature part of the aging process.

How did Katz treat him differently this year?

Isn’t the lockout, cold weather and abbreviated spring training just as likely to be factors in his FB velo being down 2-3 mph?  

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

I have his autograph on a trophy from back in the day when a starting MLB player would attend a youth league awards banquet to promote the team. 

That is awfully cool.

My favorite autograph was given to me by my then girlfriend (now wife) when she was working for some attorneys downtown.  She said they had a visitor to the firm that day who was an extremely nice man and she pulled out an autographed picture signed to me from Minnie Minoso.....I almost got down on one knee right then and there.

Edited by wegner
misspell
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Well someone let him pitch through back spasms bad enough that they knocked him out for almost a week. That's a newbie.

It's his first season in a MLB dugout. He seems like a bright guy, I'm certain he will learn the MLB mentality and do better in the future. 

32 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Which proves why in yesterday's game against KC, the Royals had 8 walks to the Sox one walk. The Royals took 193 pitches in 10 innings to the Sox taking 132 pitches in 10 innings. 

I was watching those numbers through the game. While 193/132 are the pitch counts those aren't the 'takes' - but your point is made.

On 4/29/2022 at 11:38 AM, The Kids Can Play said:

Which proves why in yesterday's game against KC, the Royals had 8 walks to the Sox one walk. The Royals took 193 pitches in 10 innings to the Sox taking 132 pitches in 10 innings. 

The object isn't to walk per se, it's to swing at a good pitch to hit. Usually on 2-0 the pitcher is forced to do that. If the Sox are swinging at pitches that are good to hit that are thrown first or second in the sequence,  this stat doesn't matter. No one was complaining when they lit up Robbie Ray early and often in the sequence.  If they are swinging at pitchers pitches that early, then this is a huge problem,  one that coaching really couldn't reasonably fix. You would have to change personnel.

On 4/29/2022 at 11:38 AM, The Kids Can Play said:

Could it be that Sox pitchers weren't throwing strikes? As bad as the Sox are hitting, if I was an opposing pitcher I'd be throwing nothing but strikes. Why walk guys that can't get a hit? 

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Could it be that Sox pitchers weren't throwing strikes? As bad as the Sox are hitting, if I was an opposing pitcher I'd be throwing nothing but strikes. Why walk guys that can't get a hit? 

What it means is the Sox are currently 30th in MLB in walks. They are impatient and do not see enough pitches. They only had 3 walks yesterday and two of them were by Grandal who is the only guy on the team who actually does take a lot of pitches and gets a lot of walks. My remark was based more on the Jay Cuda's Twitter stat of the Sox being 30th in 2-0 and 3-0 counts in MLB which are the hitter counts. This is directly correlated to why the Sox are 25th in BA at .218. 

10 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

What would it take for La Russa to be fired? Missing the playoffs?

Nothing less than new ownership. TLR is a made guy and is here to stay... even after he leaves the dugout. He will be in the front office driving decisions until JR sells or dies.  It's tragic.

1 hour ago, The Kids Can Play said:

What it means is the Sox are currently 30th in MLB in walks. They are impatient and do not see enough pitches. They only had 3 walks yesterday and two of them were by Grandal who is the only guy on the team who actually does take a lot of pitches and gets a lot of walks. My remark was based more on the Jay Cuda's Twitter stat of the Sox being 30th in 2-0 and 3-0 counts in MLB which are the hitter counts. This is directly correlated to why the Sox are 25th in BA at .218. 

Again I ask. Isn't that also a function of pitchers not needing to pitch around them? Why nibble at the corners against this team?