TLR 2022 Thread

chitownsportsfan

11 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

You are right, it isn't all his fault. The problem is this is a JR hire to try to , in his mind, right a wrong, and it was just wrong. They ignored his DUIs. They ignored he was out of the dugout for 11 years. They ignored the disaster in AZ, the last time he was given any baseball decision power. They ignored they had a shot at AJ Hinch, who many considered the gold standard for today's manager, or a shot at just about anyone they wanted. They bring in a has been, who admittedly wouldnt have taken the job if it meant he would be taken out of the HOF, and the Sox are now stuck with a guy who isn't going to outmanage anyone. That is a problem when the games mean a ton. 

Many speculate he has a hand in most if not all personnel moves, and it may be true. Why? Did they not see what happpened to the DBacks? Tony did mention he tried to get Valasquez when he was there.

I am quite sure if Renteria was not fired, the Sox would have won the division last year. He probably would have spent the first round against Houston hyperventilating bowled over, but the result would have been the same. I am not so certain if he was still here, they would currently be on an 8 game losing streak. They didn't upgrade the manager when they had a shot at just about anyone they wanted.

The guy got way too much credit for putting Rickey Henderson in LF, Canseco in FR, starting Dave Stewart and having Eck close. I did the same thing when I was 8 years old playing stratomatic.

1980 Willie Wilson and Omar Moreno ruled the basepaths haha.

McEwing will never "betray" Tony, Jirschele won't be given the reigns in the idle of the window...that leaves Cairo and Jerry Narron.

Maybe Carlos Beltran would be one of the most popular choices...but has a shadow around him?

Scioscia, no way.  Bochy, he turned down SD where he already used to manage 

Edited by caulfield12

On 4/27/2022 at 10:39 AM, Dick Allen said:

I am quite sure if Renteria was not fired, the Sox would have won the division last year. He probably would have spent the first round against Houston hyperventilating bowled over, but the result would have been the same. I am not so certain if he was still here, they would currently be on an 8 game losing streak. They didn't upgrade the manager when they had a shot at just about anyone they wanted.

RR was a poor manager and I wanted him gone asap.  But it's truly crazy to me that the things he was -- pretty publicly -- fired over have not only been repeated by TLR, they have been his hallmarks.  Throwing late season games with weirdo lineups and bullpen decisions?  Check.  Embarrassing himself on "unwritten rules" nonsense (e.g. throwing at the Cubs after Contreras bat flip)?  Um, big check.  I was not thrilled with the TLR hire but I foolishly believed "hey, at least those things will be gone -- I mean, they have to be."  Obviously not, and based on the RR example we know it must be absolutely triggering for Hahn.

16 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

RR was a poor manager and I wanted him gone asap.  But it's truly crazy to me that the things he was -- pretty publicly -- fired over have not only been repeated by TLR, they have been his hallmarks.  Throwing late season games with weirdo lineups and bullpen decisions?  Check.  Embarrassing himself on "unwritten rules" nonsense (e.g. throwing at the Cubs after Contreras bat flip)?  Um, big check.  I was not thrilled with the TLR hire but I foolishly believed "hey, at least those things will be gone -- I mean, they have to be."  Obviously not, and based on the RR example we know it must be absolutely triggering for Hahn.

I hated Ricky's management style with a passion.  I would accept him back with open arms right now.  At least he was a good and likeable guy. 

Of course, I'd rather they just hire someone competent to run a team with championship aspirations  in the year 2022.  

Edited by ChiSox59

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I hated Ricky's management style with a passion.  I would accept him back with open arms right now.  At least he was a good and likeable guy. 

Of course, I'd rather they just hire someone competent to run a team with championship aspirations  in the year 2022.  

And the team LOVED him and played hard for him.  I am not sure I am seeing that now.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Why don’t people understand this???  Whether it’s the talent, or TLR, or RH’s roster construction, or a combination of all of the above, performance-wise this team is meh ….

• Fire 1