GAMETHREAD 4/26/22: KC Royals at ChiSox (Lynch vs Keuchel) 6:10 pm CDT

Capn12

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

You’d have to be blind to not see he was in pain after nearly every pitch 

On the SCORE they were talking about one of Grandal's throws back to Liam that was low and made him bend low to catch it and you could see Hendriks grimace. The coaching staff might want to work on the catcher's return throws to the pitchers!

9 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

To be fair, Hendricks said he was fine during the game. 

Liam Hendriks is clearly the type of guy who, if he’s in a game, will yell at an injury to go away before admitting something hurts.

Unfortunately, that technique is not likely to be successful at healing one’s back very often, which is why most other teams employ a manager to take that decision out of the hand of the hyper competitive guy on the mound.

14 minutes ago, Saufley said:

On the SCORE they were talking about one of Grandal's throws back to Liam that was low and made him bend low to catch it and you could see Hendriks grimace. The coaching staff might want to work on the catcher's return throws to the pitchers!

Grandal took the bottom of that inning off

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

No Leury? Whaaaaaaa

He's available out of the bullpen.

(Note: the more I think about it, the more this makes sense to me with Keuchel starting)

Edited by JoeC

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

It’s unclear that Cueto or Lambert is a better option.  VV is what he is, he’s not suddenly going to transform into 2003 Esteban Loiaza by adding a cutter in-season.  Kade McClure is even more of a desperation gamble to throw out there.

Keuchel will get until mid-to-late May…at least until there’s a much better replacement option or trade available from one of the rebuilding organizations that makes sense.

I think Lambert is a hell of a better option than Kuechel. We don't know about Cueto but hopefully he can replace Keuchel once Lynn is back. I totally disagree with you on Keuchel lasting until late May. If he has a few more horrible outings he is not making it until late May. Plus, shame on Keuchel for not developing another pitch in the off season that could be effective to continue his career. 

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Hendriks indeed had back spasms on Sunday. Way to go Tony!

At the risk of being called a TLR defender, who would have you wanted to come in from the bullpen?  If Hendricks says he was OK I would have left him in also.  As mentioned, I am not defending TLR because he obviously made the wrong decision lol.  Just wondering who you would have wanted to see in the game of who we had left.  

2 minutes ago, RG23SoxFan said:

At the risk of being called a TLR defender, who would have you wanted to come in from the bullpen?  If Hendricks says he was OK I would have left him in also.  As mentioned, I am not defending TLR because he obviously made the wrong decision lol.  Just wondering who you would have wanted to see in the game of who we had left.  

Not the important part of the bullpen that is injured, which was Hendriks. I watch way too many baseball games during a season around the league and you almost never see a pitcher left in when they keep grimacing like that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RG23SoxFan said:

Ruiz was already warm. He’s not a great pitcher but he’s better than a guy trying to convince himself that he’s not having back spasms.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Liam Hendriks is clearly the type of guy who, if he’s in a game, will yell at an injury to go away before admitting something hurts.

Unfortunately, that technique is not likely to be successful at healing one’s back very often, which is why most other teams employ a manager to take that decision out of the hand of the hyper competitive guy on the mound.

I agree. But managers do this all the time. The pitcher will say I'm good go away and they listen. I would have taken him out and certainly would have walked Bux. 

15 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I agree. But managers do this all the time. The pitcher will say I'm good go away and they listen. I would have taken him out and certainly would have walked Bux. 

I tend to agree with this, players seem to like playing for managers that trust them.  If Hendricks would have found a way to work his way out of it and secure the win I am not sure anyone says a word about his back.

Leaving Hendriks in is the one decision I don't fault TLR for. He's your bullpen ace. The game lives or dies with him, and that's what he's paid to do. If he says he's OK, you leave him in the game.

...but then you have to tell him to walk Buxton.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I get that happens and if that was the only moment where you had a worry, then it’s no big deal. But it kept going every pitch.

Liam Hendriks is quite clearly the kind of guy who will try to push himself through pain, to the detriment of the team. He will yell at his back rather than admit it hurts, but that won’t actually work! Every one of us knows he’s that kind of guy too. Once you saw the awkward catch and he waved off the trainer, you say fine, but you watch the next pitch. If he winced, maybe you watch one more pitch. If he’s clearly feeling discomfort, you go out and get him whether he likes it or not because it’s for his own good and the good of the team. If he wants to yell at you so be it, you’re the manager and it’s your job to deal with that.

1 hour ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I think Lambert is a hell of a better option than Kuechel. We don't know about Cueto but hopefully he can replace Keuchel once Lynn is back. I totally disagree with you on Keuchel lasting until late May. If he has a few more horrible outings he is not making it until late May. Plus, shame on Keuchel for not developing another pitch in the off season that could be effective to continue his career. 

Lambert got absolutely shelled today by the Jumbo Shrimp.

• Haha 1