Vaughn to IL

Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

The worst case scenario sounds awfully similar to what Alex Kirilloff is going through right now on the Twins. I believe he had surgery over the off-season and it still hasn't seemed to solve the issue.

Yeah. Wrist issues can linger for hitters. 

12 minutes ago, ptatc said:

That's in the middle. Certain wrist surgeries can be long rehabs. Bit those aren't very likely.

Yes, wrist injuries can be a real nuisance, I had a wrist strain from hitting a root while golfing back in 1990, it took a year and a half before it was 100% again but AV's is not a strain so I think he will be back much sooner. Cortisone wouldn't help with an injury like mine but should help with any inflammation that AV is experiencing.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

9 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Yes, wrist injuries can be a real nuisance, I had a wrist strain from hitting a root while golfing back in 1990, it took a year and a half before it was 100% again but AV's is not a strain so I think he will be back much sooner. Cortisone wouldn't help with an injury like mine but should help with any inflammation that AV is experiencing.

Yep. The only tendons that they use cortisone on in the wrist are the ones near the thumb that have a synovial sheath because they inject the sheath not really the tendon.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

I think Bob Gibson, Sandy Koufax, and Nolan Ryan might have something to say about today's pitchers  throwing harder than ever for 80 or 100 pitches before leaving the game.

Those guys were beasts and clearly standing out.  The rest of the rotations behind them were filled with guys you'd expect to pitch seven, eight, nine innings by throwing slower. Now those rotation spots are filled with guys throwing as hard as Gibson, Ryan, etc but they can't handle the strain. 

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Those guys were beasts and clearly standing out.  The rest of the rotations behind them were filled with guys you'd expect to pitch seven, eight, nine innings by throwing slower. Now those rotation spots are filled with guys throwing as hard as Gibson, Ryan, etc but they can't handle the strain. 

Koufax didn't exactly make it through that workload.

And don't forget Drysdale and Newcombe.

Red Sox radio guys arguing Minoso clearly got robbed by Gil MacDougal in 1951 since BBWAA wasn't going to have two RoY's that were POC...same year Willie Mays won in the NL.

And rounding back to Vaughn's injury, 8/11 years Minoso led the league in HBP.  Wow. Players back then were just a different breed about playing through pain.

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Red Sox radio guys arguing Minoso clearly got robbed by Gil MacDougal in 1951 since BBWAA wasn't going to have two RoY's that were POC...same year Willie Mays won in the NL.

And rounding back to Vaughn's injury, 8/11 years Minoso led the league in HBP.  Wow. Players back then were just a different breed about playing through pain.

Did they actually say that?

On 5/7/2022 at 10:56 AM, oldsox said:

Did they actually say that?

Yes.  You could go back on MLB Game day Audio and replay it.

They 1) historically hate the Yankees and 2) have been combating their own ugly team history of racism allegations connected to the franchise over past decades.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Any AV updates since the ominous speculation here about the cortisone shot?  Really hoping he's back on Thursday. 

Typically, they wait about a week before any strenuous activity after the injection. The report was dated May 6th. So it will probably be Thursday or Friday before they even test it with hitting.

Edited by ptatc

42 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Typically, they wait about a week before any strenuous activity after the injection. The report was dated May 6th. So it will probably be Thursday or Friday before they even test it with hitting.

Shitty. 

On 5/6/2022 at 7:59 PM, caulfield12 said:

The bias was East Coast bias, not race.

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

The bias was East Coast bias, not race.

Look at Minoso's numbers his rookie year and compare them.

Well, the only way we would ever know if the BBWAA was going to "tolerate" two African American players winning ROY in both leagues in the same year less than five seasons after Jackie Robinson debuted...would be to switch their teams around. It's always going to hypothetical/speculation.  Hard to find smoking guns, this isn't the 1960 presidential election in Chicago.

• Thanks 1