GT: Yankees at White Sox, Game 1 - 7:10 CT

Quin

4 hours ago, wegner said:

I won't judge you if you don't judge me....the only time I was in San Antonio the last meal we had was at a place called "The Original Mexican Restaurant"....it was the only place we could get in on the Riverwalk before we headed to the airport and everyone that was in there looked like they were there under duress....it was no lie probably the worst meal I have ever had at a restaurant.  We had joked at the time that if this truly was the orginal mexican restaurant, that culinary choice would have died out long ago.

Why the only locals you see on Riverwalk are working, homeless, or dragged by out of town guests.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

He sucked against good offenses last year and he has to prove that he can pitch well against them. 

As good as he was at striking out hitters last year, his ERA was barely better than in 2020. 

Yet his FIP, K/BB and other peripherals were all leagues better and showcased progress in 2021, and we are seeing more progress in 2022.  Are you going to try to argue that Cease is no better than he was in 2020 because he had a bad game?  Come on.

Edited by Spumoni
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

He sucked against good offenses last year and he has to prove that he can pitch well against them. 

As good as he was at striking out hitters last year, his ERA was barely better than in 2020. 

come on now, we all saw he made massive strides and has continued to make strides. This is a tough lineup, he's not pitching terribly they just do a lot of things right as a club and right now the Sox aren't.

You're blind if you think this is the same Dylan Cease as last year. 

His ERA in 2020 was a total fluke and last year all of the peripheral stats supported it. Cease has obviously taken a huge leap over the last 2 years. The Yankees might be the best offensive team in baseball. Sometimes they are gonna beat you. It happens.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spumoni said:

Yet his FIP, K/BB and other peripherals were all leagues better and showcased progress in 2021, and we are seeing more in 2020.  Are you going to try to argue that Cease is no better than he was in 2020 because he had a bad game?  Come on.

While true, I point to Javier Vazquez as a guy who always pitched worse than his peripherals. 

He has to shut down good offenses about half the time(because that's realistic) before I give him any credit. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, chw42 said:

You're blind if you think this is the same Dylan Cease as last year. 

He was very good last year and has clearly improved since. He was a bad pitcher who got lucky in 2020. Who to trade between Dunning vs Cease was a legitimate debate on here for awhile.

Cease made a couple of mistakes due to sequencing and getting behind in counts. Let's not act like he was doing everything wrong when he struck out 11 guys in 4 innings. He made some mistakes. The talent is there, the game plan and execution just need to be better. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

While true, I point to Javier Vazquez as a guy who always pitched worse than his peripherals. 

Two years ago Cease was unwatchable as a pitcher and couldn't hit the zone to save his life.  That is not who he is today.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

The defensive positioning in LF has been awful all season.  It’s as bad as the infield positioning was last year.

This is our home park and our outfielders are acting like they've never played a carom off any of the walls. 

1 minute ago, Spumoni said:

Two years ago Cease was unwatchable as a pitcher and couldn't hit the zone to save his life.  That is not who he is today.

I agree. While Cease has improved, he is choking against good offenses. 

He strikes out a ton of hitters and that will bring the FIP down. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I agree. While Cease has improved, he is choking against good offenses. 

He strikes out a ton of hitters and that will bring the FIP down. 

He shutdown the #1 scoring offense in the AL 1.5 weeks ago. 

• Quin locked this topic