GT: Yankees at White Sox, Game 1 - 7:10 CT

Quin

1 minute ago, The Beast said:

Would you rather the Sox have signed A Rod instead of Texas back in the day for the contract Texas gave him or would you rather the Sox have signed Machado for the contract the Padres signed him to?

Can I say neither and go with Bryce Harper instead? He'd be the perfect addition to this eras White Sox team.

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

I know he had some vague comments about that during Spring Training, but I'll believe it when I see it. He's the same guy who was playing all 9 innings in Cactus league games this year and refuses to let any manager write him out of the lineup. For better or worse, Abreu seems obsessed with playing and I think Jerry will keep signing him until the wheels completely fall off.

Before this pretty bad stretch, Jose was hitting the ball well. He just couldn't get a lot of his fly balls to fall or go over the fence. 

Just now, chw42 said:

Before this pretty bad stretch, Jose was hitting the ball well. He just couldn't get a lot of his fly balls to fall or go over the fence. 

Everything in his statcast data still looks so good, I'm inclined to say he was getting unlucky and is now in a slump. But you never know with hitters this old. Maybe he's finally at the cliff.

4 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I know he had some vague comments about that during Spring Training, but I'll believe it when I see it. He's the same guy who was playing all 9 innings in Cactus league games this year and refuses to let any manager write him out of the lineup. For better or worse, Abreu seems obsessed with playing and I think Jerry will keep signing him until the wheels completely fall off.

Then make him the Manager.

5 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Would you rather the Sox have signed A Rod instead of Texas back in the day for the contract Texas gave him or would you rather the Sox have signed Machado for the contract the Padres signed him to?

Hmmm, nice thought exercise...I'd say A Rod

Just now, Capn12 said:

So the same guy who has now struck out 10 of the 11 he has faced, also leaves fastballs right down the middle to power hitters?

What an odd game.

He's pitching scared to Stanton. Which plays into Stanton's strength of hitting fastballs when he knows they're coming. 

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I couldn't give two shits about the ks. Cease gave up 5 runs. 

Yeah, because this game is the end-all be-all and we should ignore all other positive trends.  Jesus Christ.

Just now, GermanSoxFan said:

lol you were saying that Cease doesn’t strike out enough guys two years ago and thus his ERA was a mirage. Cease is a great pitcher having a weird game.

He sucked against good offenses last year and he has to prove that he can pitch well against them. 

As good as he was at striking out hitters last year, his ERA was barely better than in 2020. 

4 minutes ago, wegner said:

Hmmm, nice thought exercise...I'd say A Rod

It would have been interesting to see him at third, at DH, what would have become of Crede, how much attendance would have been with A Rod and when they would have dealt him like Texas did.

• Quin locked this topic