White Sox @ Blue Jays 6:07 PM: Kopech (1-1 1.29 ERA) vs Ryu (2-0 5.48 ERA)

Kyyle23

27 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

What tonight's lineup should be (and thus, won't be):

Mendick 6, Vaughn 7, Robert DH, Abreu 3, Burger 5, Pollock 9, Grandal 2, Engel 8, Harrison 4

Give Robert a day at DH before sticking him back in CF. Drop Grandal in the lineup.

In absolutely zero event should Danny Mendick bat anything but 8th or 9th. 

If Robert has to DH tonight and no Yoan, here is what I would roll with:

Engel CF, Vaughn LF, Robert DH, Abreu 1B, Burger 3B, Pollock RF, Grandal C, Mendick SS, Leury 2B

Edited by ChiSox59

Just now, CentralChamps21 said:

Mendick has been hitting better than Pollock/Grandal/Engel/Harrison recently. Make somebody take that spot away from him.

Mendick has 34 MLB PA in 22. What he has done is mostly irrelevant.  Engel is by far the best option against LHP.  Things a bit more murky against RHP, but Yoan is probably the guy to lead off when (if ever) healthy.  

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Mendick has 34 MLB PA in 22. What he has done is mostly irrelevant.  Engel is by far the best option against LHP.  Things a bit more murky against RHP, but Yoan is probably the guy to lead off when (if ever) healthy.  

What he has done is more relevant than what others have done.

He has one of our "hot" bats (that is, a league-average bat... it's all relative, after all). TLR's given so many others more of a chance to fail than Mendick's gotten, baserunning gaffe not withstanding.

I know everyone hated Grandal at the leadoff spot because he has been awful this year, but this was one of the very few times where I could actually see some vintage TLR coming through.  He was obviously trying to give him a chance to get back to his old school self and work the count and see some pitches to see if that might get him going.  Of course it crashed and burned spectacularly because it is 2022 and everything has crashed and burned this year, but at least that one made sense.

If Yoan Moncada is back tonight, I wouldn't mind see TLR try him at the top of the order as well.  He was at his best when working counts for cookies and not forcing the issue.

Danny Mendick would just be a misuse of SSS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JoeC said:

What he has done is more relevant than what others have done.

He has one of our "hot" bats (that is, a league-average bat... it's all relative, after all). TLR's given so many others more of a chance to fail than Mendick's gotten, baserunning gaffe not withstanding.

Sure. He’s just not a talented offensive player. Likely the worst on the club. He’s a big leaguer strictly because he can play defense well at multiple Infield positions. There is no good reason to lead him off. 

• Fire 1

What new mind numbing ways will this team find to lose another game?  Tune in at 6:07PM CT to find out!  And hear Gordon Beckham stumble and bumble over consonants and vowels for three hours.  MUST WATCH TV!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Sure. He’s just not a talented offensive player. Likely the worst on the club. He’s a big leaguer strictly because he can play defense well at multiple Infield positions. There is no good reason to lead him off. 

Under normal circumstances, 100% agree.
That said, barely anyone is hitting better now, and wholly undeserving guys (Harrison, etc.) keep getting choice AB's.

Treat it as a "what have you done for me lately" meritocracy to light a fire in those other guys. Make the other guys take those AB's away from guys like Mendick.

Is Leury dinged by the way?  Three straight games on the bench while Harrison continues to flail away at the plate is a bit of a head scratcher.  If SS is Mendick's for the moment, Leury should definitely be playing 2B over Harrison most days. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Is Leury dinged by the way?  Three straight games on the bench while Harrison continues to flail away at the plate is a bit of a head scratcher.  If SS is Mendick's for the moment, Leury should definitely be playing 2B over Harrison most days. 

The Jays broadcast hinted yesterday that all of the Sox bench guys weren't 100% , and may not have been available.

12 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

The Jays broadcast hinted yesterday that all of the Sox bench guys weren't 100% , and may not have been available.

Even all the bench guys are injured/not 100%….so basically Pollock Robert Leury?

Ooops forgot DNP Manager’s Decision Moncada.

Useless.

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Well we know Robert still isn't 100% per himself, and Pollock was also apparently under the weather yesterday.   Obviously Yoan has the leg issue.  So that's 3/4 bench guys yesterday, so comment is valid.  Just hadn't heard anything about Leury. 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Well we know Robert still isn't 100% per himself, and Pollock was also apparently under the weather yesterday.   Obviously Yoan has the leg issue.  So that's 3/4 bench guys yesterday, so comment is valid.  Just hadn't heard anything about Leury. 

I haven't heard anything specifically about Leury either.  He has to be ailing in some way for TLR to not have started him in the leadoff spot yesterday.

• Fire 1

I reiterate what I said April 28th, just fill in different names of Garcia, Pollock, (Robert stays) for Hendricks and Harrison. As anemic as this offense is, they need every possible player available. Moncada and Garcia are for the most part going on a week now, WTH difference do 3 more days make - give someone a shot, and play with a full team.

If you need roster spots, let Severino and Mercedes go - neither will be back with the Sox again.

Of all the bad baseball, and baseball decisions we have seen to date in the 2022 season, the one thing that really puzzles me is the handling of the roster. Players who get hurt don't go on the IL, they sit out 5-6 days. Then, they are allegedly better - but nope they miss a couple more, probably in part due to the weather. Is it that hard to look at a forecast or figure out that it has been a shitty spring for half the country? Add in that many of these guys seem to be slow healers. So why do Jimenez (first injury on foul ball), Roberts, Hendricks, and Harrison remain active, yet not able to play? Oh, I forgot there is so much depth on this team and they are on such a roll, there is no need to IL players and get them fully healthy - they can handle all of this short-handed. Just seems like a total fail by all from the top on down! If they have that little confidence in their minor leaguers, then the whole organization needs to be blown up.

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

I haven't heard anything specifically about Leury either.  He has to be ailing in some way for TLR to not have started him in the leadoff spot yesterday.

Pretty sure they said he's off a couple of days with a bruised hip or something.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I know everyone hated Grandal at the leadoff spot because he has been awful this year, but this was one of the very few times where I could actually see some vintage TLR coming through.  He was obviously trying to give him a chance to get back to his old school self and work the count and see some pitches to see if that might get him going.  Of course it crashed and burned spectacularly because it is 2022 and everything has crashed and burned this year, but at least that one made sense.

If Yoan Moncada is back tonight, I wouldn't mind see TLR try him at the top of the order as well.  He was at his best when working counts for cookies and not forcing the issue.

Danny Mendick would just be a misuse of SSS.

We have seen plenty of vintage TLR this season at the top of the lineup, and must tell you, I am GOOD on that.  No more please

• Like 1