White Sox @ Blue Jays 6:07 PM: Kopech (1-1 1.29 ERA) vs Ryu (2-0 5.48 ERA)

Kyyle23

Engel to Leadoff! Engel to Leadoff! Engel to Leadoff!
At least a few times over the next week or two.

Note to Engel: Don't get leadoff cute - just do whatever you are doing now. Oh --- and don't get hurt.

19 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

We have seen plenty of vintage TLR this season at the top of the lineup, and must tell you, I am GOOD on that.  No more please

I think we've all seen a lifetime's worth of vintage TLR in a season and a half.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

What new mind numbing ways will this team find to lose another game?  Tune in at 6:07PM CT to find out!  And hear Gordon Beckham stumble and bumble over consonants and vowels for three hours.  MUST WATCH TV!!

It has become painful to listen to Gordon on any game this year ramble mindlessly and have diarrhea of the mouth.

Pollock LF, Vaughn RF, Abreu 1B, Robert DH, Burger 3B, Leury 2B, Engel CF, McGuire C, Mendick SS

I would flip Engel and Pollock and then move Leury to 7th and Pollock to 6th, but otherwise I can work with this.  

1 hour ago, The Kids Can Play said:

It has become painful to listen to Gordon on any game this year ramble mindlessly and have diarrhea of the mouth.

Prepare for lots of "professional and competitive at bats." Something he was sorely lacking in after this late 2008 rookie year Sox swoon.

And more water torture for the fans already suffering enough as is.

Seriously where the hell is Moncada? What are we doing here? Why activate him like 4 days ago only to have 1 pinch hit opportunity? If he isn't ready to play everyday, what are we doing here? 

I'm so sick of rooting for an organization that ties their own hands behind their back so often. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I don't understand why we keep injured guys on our bench who can't play for a week at a time.

Moncada is not playing again tonight. He said he's ready to play. Could he possibly be in TLRs doghouse?

24 minutes ago, Tony said:

Seriously where the hell is Moncada? What are we doing here? Why activate him like 4 days ago only to have 1 pinch hit opportunity? If he isn't ready to play everyday, what are we doing here? 

I'm so sick of rooting for an organization that ties their own hands behind their back so often. 

The Moncada situation is weird. During the KC series, he still looked like he was hurting and hit like it.  Regardless, if he is healthy now, he belongs on the field. One thing for sure: he has contributed very little and doesn't look like the star he was projected to be.

Just now, Highland said:

The Moncada situation is weird. During the KC series, he still looked like he was hurting and hit like it.  Regardless, if he is healthy now, he belongs on the field. One thing for sure: he has contributed very little and doesn't look like the star he was projected to be.

He's not fully healthy.  He has a calf issue that is bugging him.  They clearly thought it was a day-to-day thing or he'd have been placed on the IL last Thursday, but its obviously lingering. 

If the Moncada stuff were the only time it would be totally fair to call it weird. But I seriously can't count how many guys they've played this "Will he or won't he" go on the IL game with already this year. They did it with Pollock, they did it with Vaughn, Robert was back last night for no obvious reason, they did it with Harrison for a week, I believe there was a pitcher they did this with. For some reason benching guys for a week is preferred over an IL trip 2-3 days longer.

Maybe it's actually money, that they don't want to pay a second guy to be up?

The Sox do have 3 guys that they could recall without making a 40 man roster move in terms of position players.

#1 is Yermin, which won't happen, so let's call it 2.

#2 is Romy who has been hurt and horrible pretty much all year.  He literally just got back and played his first game in 2+ weeks yesterday, so I imagine the Sox don't see him as an option either.

#3 is Hasley, who actually has been flaming hot at the dish lately AND can actually play some OF.  Granted he doesn't help with Moncada, but at least it gives us something who is hot and can defend.

Past that you have to start making 40 man roster cuts, and it sounds like they might already have one move coming up with Lynn a couple of starts away from Chicago.  Maybe they try to slide Aybar through waivers, as he has been pretty awful.  Maybe a Yermin move finally happens?  Past that the types of moves that are left is DFA someone like Harrison, so we will see.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Sox do have 3 guys that they could recall without making a 40 man roster move in terms of position players.

#1 is Yermin, which won't happen, so let's call it 2.

#2 is Romy who has been hurt and horrible pretty much all year.  He literally just got back and played his first game in 2+ weeks yesterday, so I imagine the Sox don't see him as an option either.

#3 is Hasley, who actually has been flaming hot at the dish lately AND can actually play some OF.  Granted he doesn't help with Moncada, but at least it gives us something who is hot and can defend.

Past that you have to start making 40 man roster cuts, and it sounds like they might already have one move coming up with Lynn a couple of starts away from Chicago.  Maybe they try to slide Aybar through waivers, as he has been pretty awful.  Maybe a Yermin move finally happens?  Past that the types of moves that are left is DFA someone like Harrison, so we will see.

There is still an open spot for Lynn on the 40 so nobody has to go just yet.

14 minutes ago, Highland said:

Moncada is a huge disappointment this year. The games he does play in he looks totally disinterested and just going through the motions. He is looking like one of those guys who once they get that big contract they really don't care any more. He doesn't impress me as a guy who really loves to compete and loves the game. 

Bottom line is he needs to start being out there most every game and producing if this team is going to make a run at anything. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If the Moncada stuff were the only time it would be totally fair to call it weird. But I seriously can't count how many guys they've played this "Will he or won't he" go on the IL game with already this year. They did it with Pollock, they did it with Vaughn, Robert was back last night for no obvious reason, they did it with Harrison for a week, I believe there was a pitcher they did this with. For some reason benching guys for a week is preferred over an IL trip 2-3 days longer.

Maybe it's actually money, that they don't want to pay a second guy to be up?

i think it's a complete failure to reorganize the training and conditioning program in anticipation of the lockout.  you've got so many little muscle strains and shit that usually would have long ago been worked out of the athletes.

I disagree with Ray that playing baseball is easy on the body compared to other pro sports. Even when I was 21 playing 5 games in 5 days was not easy and you are always somewhere less than 100% with a banged up finger or bad strawberry or stiff neck. Making these calls on when to hold guys out and determining when they are more seriously hurt isn't easy so the key is to prevent it in the first place.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

32 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Which means a roster move would be needed in the next couple of weeks if they did anything other than 40 man roster guys.

I just checked the roster and counting Graveman and Cease, they should currently be at 39 (since the Keuchel DFA).

If you keep getting no production from Moncada, Grandal, Jimenez, Pollock, and whoever the 2B is on that particular day this team has no chance. Period. And right now your not getting anything from any of them. You could say it's shocking this team is only 1 game under .500. But that will change in a hurry if this ineptitude continues. 

These 5 need to step it the f up. Other than whomever is at 2B they have all done it in the recent past. They were all counted on to be big contributors to this seasons expected success. There are no replacements. The cavalry isn't on it's way. Other than maybe picking up a 2B at the deadline this is the group that has to get it done. 

If Lynn comes back healthy and strong the starting pitching is good enough. TA, Vaughn, Robert, and Abreu are solid and Leury, Engel, Burger, and then add one more piece and you have a pretty good bench. 

It's up to those 5 spots as to if this will be a successful season or an incredibly disappointing one. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I just checked the roster and counting Graveman and Cease, they should currently be at 39 (since the Keuchel DFA).

So Lynn would be 40 once he is done in a couple of weeks.  That means we would need to make a move either now, or later for Lynn if we added anyone to the roster who wasn't already on the 40 man roster.