Sox at San Fran 7/2/22 game thread I left my manager in San Francisco

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

La Russa’s two big moves as head baseball guy not looking so hot halfway through the season.

I know Kelly technically has a history with Tony (even though I don' t think he ever pitched for him) but he strikes me as a Hahn signing. Big time. Reliever with big velocity & a good GB rate fits what Hahn has been targeting for years.

6 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I was hoping we could save Graveman for this one, wishful thinking I guess. 

Probably needed him more yesterday with the 1 run game. Graveman is one of those guys who doesn't seem to like appearances in consecutive games too often. TLR with take his chances with a 3 run lead depending on what the Sox do on offense now.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

40 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Nice effort by Vaughn there going into second...Robert hits into too many DPs for someone with that speed.

But so does Anderson.  

Robert and TA are not running at full speed.  Last year those DPs would not have been DPs.

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

If they were going to sign another reliever, bringing back Tepera made more sense. 

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Rick Hahn coming out of the lockout: “We need to add pitching depth”.

Goes out and signs a lottery ticket in VV (despite no off-season to work on things) and adds an expensive reliever in Kelly who was going to miss at least four weeks.

Absolutely mind boggling execution plan there.

I just don't think there's any difference between the relievers who sign 1 year deals & 2nd/3rd tier relievers like Kelly and Graveman. I know Graveman has been good, but smart teams can develop or sign equivalent relievers on 1 year deals.

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

It depends if you think Gallo is actually a bad hitter or just in a really bad slump for whatever reason. Projection systems view Gallo & Pollock similarly as hitters, but I would rather bet on Gallo because most 28 year olds with a track record of good production don't usually fall of a cliff. My guess is that if the Sox acquired him, he would hit well, but who knows.

Gallo has struggled this year, but moreso against RHP.  Platoon him with Engel and I’m pretty confident it would be an upgrade over what Pollock is providing offensively and it doesn’t require you play someone incapable of handling RF.  It’s a gamble no doubt, but one I’d happily take given the age differential to your point and the wild card that is playing in NYC.

• Thanks 1

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

I just don't think there's any difference between the relievers who sign 1 year deals & 2nd/3rd tier relievers like Kelly and Graveman. I know Graveman has been good, but smart teams can develop or sign equivalent relievers on 1 year deals.

He was really good for two teams last year and had double digit saves.  That has definite value.

1 minute ago, hankchifan said:

He will catch up with Leury soon.

Then you've got Grandal...

The weird thing with Kendall is that he was a starter not that long ago so you'd think he would have a bit more endurance.

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I know Kelly technically has a history with Tony (even though I don' t think he ever pitched for him) but he strikes me as a Hahn signing. Big time. Reliever with big velocity & a good GB rate fits what Hahn has been targeting for years.

I think it was reported that Tony pushed for Kelly and then a deal came together fairly quickly.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

He was really good for two teams last year and had double digit saves.  That has definite value.

I'd much rather be the team who signs Graveman on a 1 yer deal rather than paying up for him after the breakout season happens. Particularly when he isn't a strikeout monster and outpitched his peripherals by ~1.5 runs. But the Kelly signing is one I had a much bigger issue with, even though I didn't like either signing & still don't.