Dylan Cease screwed out of All-Star spot

CentralChamps21

57 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That's a more meaningful stat if you include the inning pitched in that info. I guarantee Dylan is last without looking it up among the RHP's. McClanahan could have less innings than Dylan is the only one of the 7 listed .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

The sports guy on ABC 7 yesterday said Cease would have been an all star except he was ineligible since he pitched Sunday.  This, of course, is incorrect.  Not sure why he would say that.  He should have still been named as an all star and given the chance to experience it.

He is the only pitcher since 1901 to have these 1st half stats:
- 150+ Ks
- 12.5+ K/9
- Less than 2.20 ERA
- Less than .200 BAA

1 minute ago, hogan873 said:

The sports guy on ABC 7 yesterday said Cease would have been an all star except he was ineligible since he pitched Sunday.  This, of course, is incorrect.  Not sure why he would say that.  He should have still been named as an all star and given the chance to experience it.

He is the only pitcher since 1901 to have these 1st half stats:
- 150+ Ks
- 12.5+ K/9
- Less than 2.20 ERA
- Less than .200 BAA

I don't know if it's an official policy or not, but guys who aren't available to play/pitch never seem to get picked as replacements to the original team. Of course he should have been on the original team but this could explain why he's getting passed over as a potential replacement.

Just now, CentralChamps21 said:

I don't know if it's an official policy or not, but guys who aren't available to play/pitch never seem to get picked as replacements to the original team. Of course he should have been on the original team but this could explain why he's getting passed over as a potential replacement.

That's possible.  But, yeah, as you said, he should have been picked as part of the original pitching group.

I understand the frustration about Cease, but people don't need to dwell on it. The Sox had the "statement" series against the Twins, but they are still in third place, and their record is an average .500. And this kind of stuff happens almost every year regarding the All-Star game. Some deserving player gets snubbed. The All-Start game lost its luster a long time ago. Time to focus on important things like getting over .500 and then winning the division.

• 2 weeks later...