Nightengale: Sox have clubhouse issues

chw42

17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You know those times where you really, really want to be wrong, but it just won't happen.

:crying

He can last a really long time in that role. I really think he is here as long as Jerry is alive and Tony is able to minimally function (has eyesight to watch games and read reports, and can speak or have an interpreter in his office) and wants to continue working.

He's going to want a role with significant authority, not an ambassador role schmoozing with corporate partners like Kittle and others. I would prefer him staying as manager if this is the alternative. The physical grind of travel and long work hours will force him into retirement sooner. He already looks as though he is running on fumes and there is three months to go.

Sadly, I can also see them giving him a managerial contract extension this offseason, if they haven't already, so he doesn't go into 2023 as a lame duck. They even extended this courtesy to Ricky, and would have with Ventura if Robin had any interest in keeping the job.

45 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Bob said

• Tim and Jose should be the expected veteran leaders. Lynn may be the best leader if he wasn't a SP. :unsure:
  • Source for the story were players around the league who speak with Sox players, and actual Sox players.
  • The triple play was completely embarrassing, said a Sale or someone else would have torn things up after that. Also said these embarrassing incidents continue to happen with this team, which is true.
  • The games against the Orioles and Tigers were embarrassing.
  • There may be a serious discussion of giving Tony a FO role if they fail to make the playoffs.

Matt post interview speculates that Tony could be the source, to deflect blame on the players. Danny and Matt stated Bob could just be covering for Tony.

At least Lynn has some fire in him.

I didn't see the triple play, and I refused to watch any replays. But it had to be embarrassing like so many embarrassing baserunning gaffes the Sox have had this season. The Sox tried to get swept by the Orioles but just couldn't manage doing it. It wasn't encouraging to see the Sox struggle to get a split with the Tigers.

I do wonder about the motive of anyone talking to Nightengale about this.  If Tony is the source, this would be another one of the stupid things he has done the last season and a half.  Whatever is going on, there is something missing about this team. Even with the injuries, the Sox should be in first. There are times when they just look lifeless.

6 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

He can last a really long time in that role. I really think he is here as long as Jerry is alive and Tony is able to minimally function (has eyesight to watch games and read reports, and can speak or have an interpreter in his office) and wants to continue working.

He's going to want a role with significant authority, not an ambassador role schmoozing with corporate partners like Kittle and others. I would prefer him staying as manager if this is the alternative. The physical grind of travel and long work hours will force him into retirement sooner. He already looks as though he is running on fumes and there is three months to go.

Sadly, I can also see them giving him a managerial contract extension this offseason, if they haven't already, so he doesn't go into 2023 as a lame duck. They even extended this courtesy to Ricky, and would have with Ventura if Robin had any interest in keeping the job.

Hopefully they give him a cell phone with pre-recorded messages on the other end so he can't do any damage.

"Yes Tony, kids these days are awful"

"Sorry Tony, I can't go on a beer run with you, its 8:30 am"

"I know the unwritten rules of baseball aren't written down for a reason"

"We'll look into that"

31 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Right, the LaRoche Sale teams were known for their rock solid leadership.

This whole report is dumb. Underachieving teams have bad chemistry, more at 11.

The idea that you have to destroy stuff to be a leader is one of the dumbest things that still remains from the 20th century.  It means you can't handle some adversity like a damned adult.  Grow up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hawk 1

7 minutes ago, Highland said:

Even with the injuries, the Sox should be in first. There are times when they just look lifeless.

Last sentence I agree with; first sentence cmon. No way this team is better than it has shown so far. Now could it improve with the same roster? Maybe but doubtful. These players circa 2022 season have stunk. The bullpen again is way overrated. It's highly inconsistent although the closer is pretty good. The everyday players have been hurt and mostly awful hitters. They are for the most part not hitting home runs and their batting averages are low with low number of walks.

This team should not be in first. And yes the injuries have been a factor too. The team could look a lot better but I bet u Tony and Stone and Hahn would all agree when guys are not hitting it out of the park nowadays it tends to look lifeless.

I think a good manager might have the team one over .500 and that would really be stretching it.

49 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Spiegel seems to think TLR planted this leak. He doesn't seem to believe that Bob got it from other players. 

Bob Nightingale doesn't feel like the guy a group of players would reach out to.  Saying it's the players feels like cover to me.  Bob has been known to carry water for the Sox for those times he does get a real scoop, and this feels more like that sort of quid pro quo.

Edited by Tnetennba
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

Bob on the Score right now. 

He says his source is from Sox players and opposing players. 

Bob says there's a lack of urgency on the team with players not stepping up to push other guys to play better. Lists Atlanta's team meeting as a turning point for that team. 

Big Frank said the same during one of the post game shows recently.

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

Bob on the Score right now. 

He says his source is from Sox players and opposing players. 

Bob says there's a lack of urgency on the team with players not stepping up to push other guys to play better. Lists Atlanta's team meeting as a turning point for that team. 

Gee, I wonder where they might get that malaise from?

• Like 1
  • TLR 2

14 minutes ago, foxaparicio said:

Isn't it really Williams who has put this team together?...isn't he coming up with these moves..these ideas...Hahn has to go out and talk to the public (once in a while..and smooth everything over) ..but isn't it Williams who has constructed this ?

Even if that is true, Hahn is the one who brought in the players, based on KW’s plans or not.

Really trying to not blame Hahn for any of this, huh?

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

So players talking about this to other team players, gotta be Pollock imo.  New guy from a WS and frequently winning team comes here and sees this going on…

Yeah, that's my thought too. Mentioned it earlier in the thread - going from the Dodgers to this had to be quite a shock.

58 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Last sentence I agree with; first sentence cmon. No way this team is better than it has shown so far. Now could it improve with the same roster? Maybe but doubtful. These players circa 2022 season have stunk. The bullpen again is way overrated. It's highly inconsistent although the closer is pretty good. The everyday players have been hurt and mostly awful hitters. They are for the most part not hitting home runs and their batting averages are low with low number of walks.

This team should not be in first. And yes the injuries have been a factor too. The team could look a lot better but I bet u Tony and Stone and Hahn would all agree when guys are not hitting it out of the park nowadays it tends to look lifeless.

I think a good manager might have the team one over .500 and that would really be stretching it.

Yes, they could be in first. A win against the Guardians, maybe one or two against the Twins, they're in first or closer to it than they are now. Remember, they're not chasing the Yankees or Astros. Yes, I know a team looks lifeless when it is not scoring. But, in general, there is a nothingness about this team.

I am one that thinks that chemistry is important. That doesn't mean everyone loves everyone. But it would help if players weren't playing out of position, and it would also help if their manager didn't slur words at press conferences. Players are not machines. Distractions and other worries can affect play. And please. Don't tell me about the injuries. Injuries don't keep players from running the bases with some intelligence. Regardless, it's time to step up. No more dumb ass excuses.

5 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

That comment makes me think it’s TLR himself.  But I’m probably reading too deep into it.  

It's clearly Lynn or Joe McEwing. Cause TLR said there ain't no free lunch. And Lance told McEwing to go pack a lunch. What is with this team and talking about lunch anyways?

Edited by chw42
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, chw42 said:

It's clearly Lynn or Joe McEwing. Cause TLR said there ain't no free lunch. And Lance told McEwing to go pack a lunch. What is with this team and talking about lunch anyways?

Maybe the quality of craft services has gone down?

19 minutes ago, almagest said:

Yeah, that's my thought too. Mentioned it earlier in the thread - going from the Dodgers to this had to be quite a shock.

Sure. But he’s a legit reason why we suck balls against RHP and defensively, so perhaps he should play a bit better before running his jaw, if he is indeed doing that.