2023 MLB Draft thread

southsider2k5

19 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

If there's a shakeup in the Sox FO and they go into sell mode it will also change the way they draft in July.  They could go HS pitcher two years in a row.

He’s good but I’m very against the idea of drafting HS SPs with first round picks in back to back years. There’s so much risk in that demographic.

1. Pittsburgh Dylan Crews OF LSU
2. Washington Paul Skenes RHP LSU
3. Detroit Wyatt Langford OF Florida
4. Texas Max Clark OF Community HS
5. Minnesota Jacob Wilson SS Grand Canyon
6. Oakland Walker Jenkins OF S Brunswick HS
7. Cincinnati Jacob Gonzalez SS Ole Miss
8. Kansas City Enrique Bradfield OF Vandy
9. Colorado Arjun Nimmala SS Strawberry Crest HS
10. Florida Brayden Taylor 3B TCU
11. LA Angels Chase Dollander RHP Tennessee
12. Arizona Rhett Lowder RHP Wake Forest
13. Chicago Cubs Kyle Teel C Virginia
14. Boston Hurston Waldrep RHP Florida
15. Chicago WS Colin Houck SS Parkview HS
16. San Francisco Noble Meyer RHP Jesuit HS
17. Baltimore Brock Wilkin 3B Wake Forest
18. Milwaukee Matt Shaw SS Maryland
19. Tampa Bay Tommy Troy 2B Stanford
20. Toronto Kevin McGonigale SS Monsignor HS
21. St Louis Thomas White LHP Phillips Academy
22. Seattle Yohandy Morales 3B Miami
23. Cleveland Tanner Witt RHP Texas
24. Atlanta Bryce Eldridge RHP/1B James Madison HS
25. San Diego Aiden Miller 3B JW Mitchel HS
26. NY Yankees Charlee Soto RHP Reborn HS
27. Philadelphia Will Sanders RHP South Carolina
28. Houston Dillon Head OF Homewood Flossmoor HS

On 4/24/2023 at 11:10 AM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Coming into the season Chase Dollander was considered the top arm in the draft but he's been wildly inconsistent all spring.  I wonder if he's there at 1-15 and if the Sox would pop him.

Dollander at 15 would be my top option

• Fire 1

Real nice swing here by Dillon.  He's had a tough time with pitches at the top of the zone this spring because he lays the bat flat on his shoulder and leans back to artificially create leverage and lift.  The results have been that he swings over them or bangs them into the ground. Here he stays more upright and swings thru the ball. He's still going in the first round because of his speed/power (potential) combination but I think the first thing a team does is change his bat position and path. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Real nice swing here by Dillon.  He's had a tough time with pitches at the top of the zone this spring because he lays the bat flat on his shoulder and leans back to artificially create leverage and lift.  The results have been that he swings over them or bangs them into the ground. Here he stays more upright and swings thru the ball. He's still going in the first round because of his speed/power (potential) combination but I think the first thing a team does is change his bat position and path. 

This is at Lockport High School 

1. Pirates: Dylan Crews, OF, LSU
I don’t see how you don’t take Dylan Crews. I know a lot of people think they’re going to cut a deal, but there hasn’t been a college bat like him in recent memory. He compares to Adley Rutschman from a performance standpoint.

2. Nationals: Paul Skenes, RHP, LSU
It’s hard to pass on the college starter who has done what he’s done this year.

3. Tigers: Walker Jenkins, OF, South Brunswick HS (NC)
I think they go with the high school player, with a similar offensive profile, over a guy like Wyatt Langford. Plus he’s a left-handed hitter.

4. Rangers: Wyatt Langford, OF, Florida
Back to back years of performance in the SEC. It’s hard to pass on that.

5. Twins: Max Clark, OF, Franklin HS (Ind.)
They’re the team that moved up big time in the lottery and they get to take advantage of it by taking the guy who’s been one of the top high school talents in this class for two years.

6. A’s: Jacob Wilson, SS, Grand Canyon
I think the hitters will go before some of these pitchers go.

7. Reds: Jacob Gonzalez, SS, Mississippi
In the past, they’ve taken the college or junior college performing bat with strong approaches.

8. Royals: Thomas White, LHP, Phillips Academy (Mass.)
They took Frank Mozzicato and this guy is better.

9. Rockies: Chase Dollander, RHP, Tennessee
I think this is an arm and they took Gabe Hughes last year.

10. Marlins: Arjun Nimmala, SS, Strawberry Crest HS (Fla.)
He’s the youngest player with the most upside at this point in the Draft and there’s buzz about him going in the top 10.

Jonathan Mayo MLB.com

Things really looking up for Pirates Rangers Twins... Minn can pair with Brooks Lee

11 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Jim Callis has a new mock draft. I would hate this pick for the White Sox: https://www.mlb.com/news/first-mlb-mock-draft-2023

I like Bradfield but I get it if you want them to reset and go with a HS player after this dumpster fire of a season.  Bradfield has 2 high impact tools and that's what you're looking for in the draft.  He needs to make a couple adjustments at the plate and he's obviously athletic enough to easily make them.  He would definitely add some elements to the organization that is desperately in need of in athleticism, top of the scale speed and up the middle defense.  It's going to be interesting to see which direction they go and who is making the pick.  

22 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

For the lack of power? Or do you think there’s little upside there?

I wouldn’t hate the pick.

12 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I like Bradfield but I get it if you want them to reset and go with a HS player after this dumpster fire of a season.  Bradfield has 2 high impact tools and that's what you're looking for in the draft.  He needs to make a couple adjustments at the plate and he's obviously athletic enough to easily make them.  He would definitely add some elements to the organization that is desperately in need of in athleticism, top of the scale speed and up the middle defense.  It's going to be interesting to see which direction they go and who is making the pick.  

I just don’t like players who don’t impact the baseball. I don’t trust the White Sox to pull out more than like 40 power and he just doesn’t hit the ball hard enough consistently. 

10 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I just don’t like players who don’t impact the baseball. I don’t trust the White Sox to pull out more than like 40 power and he just doesn’t hit the ball hard enough consistently. 

He's not a middle of the order run producer.  He's a protypical leadoff hitter who will turn singles into doubles and triples with his game changing speed and score tons of runs while playing excellent CF defense.  He's 87-92 in stolen bases the last two seasons. It's legit top of the scale speed. I think he has to make a couple minor adjustments at the plate and will be a Kenny Loftin type player with 10-12 home runs, 50 + stolen bases and 100+ runs scored.  That's an exciting high impact profile and though it's not the direction I think they should go if they do I certainly wouldn't hate it. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

• Heads22 pinned this topic
  • bmags unpinned this topic