2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

So wait, you mean all the concern about the back end of Machado's deal causing payroll issues were for naught as he was always going to opt out after 4-5-6 years anyway, assuming he didn't completely tank? Huh. No one could've possibly predicted that!

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, he gone. said:

Oh i was joking. sorry. We couldn't even pay Conforto on a two year contract with a clear need and a fully ready to go roster this year. We're more of a Jonathan Villar team than a Manny Machado team. 

There's not a shot in hell the Sox sign machado. 

He fits in perfectly with the Cubs after this season, as long as Madrigal doesn’t prove he’s a good 3B :)

Watching all the veteran minor league SP deals come off the board without any going to the Sox is baffling. Really hard to believe that these guys don’t see the obvious path to innings that currently exists, which makes me have to think the Sox aren’t trying to sign them. Which is completely bonkers. 

• Like 1

Just now, caulfield12 said:

3 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Watching all the veteran minor league SP deals come off the board without any going to the Sox is baffling. Really hard to believe that these guys don’t see the obvious path to innings that currently exists, which makes me have to think the Sox aren’t trying to sign them. Which is completely bonkers. 

Or the organizational culture/clubhouse schisms.

But having a new manager should potentially help there.

Lynn and Kopech are always going to be question marks at this point...unless proven otherwise.  And the Sox have gone for quite some time (Kopech) without losing another starter to TJ surgery.

17 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

It really is. I can't help but think that some of these pitchers simply don't want to come here. Charlotte is absolute death on pitching, and maybe a lot of these guys realize that being stuck in Triple-A in a park that will more than likely hurt their numbers (which in-turn hurts their chances of catching on with another club) isn't worth the risk while potentially waiting around for some sort of injury to the Sox starting 5?

3 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

They're wise to be careful about any deal well into mid to late 30's.

Signing Soto to that deal at his age would likely lead to better results...although he actually had one of his worst seasons in 2022.

Might be better off letting the season play out first.

And then there's the uncertainty overhanging how much of their $50ish million RSN deal they actually see and WHEN.

On 2/17/2023 at 2:07 PM, he gone. said:

Oh i was joking. sorry. We couldn't even pay Conforto on a two year contract with a clear need and a fully ready to go roster this year. We're more of a Jonathan Villar team than a Manny Machado team. 

There's not a shot in hell the Sox sign machado. 

Good.

• Haha 1
  • TLR 1

"The Los Angeles Dodgers and the New York Mets are widely expected to be his (Ohtani's) most aggressive suitors, but several others -- namely the Chicago Cubs, San Francisco Giants and Seattle Mariners, to name a few -- could have the payroll flexibility to get into the sweepstakes. And the Angels, who opted against trading him last summer and in the ensuing winter, would certainly be interested in bringing him back."

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/35702907/agent-says-shohei-ohtani-right-explore-free-agency

Calculating if we'd really want the Cubs to sign him for $450-525 million depending on how this season plays out...