2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

3 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Padres signed Darvish to 6 (4) year extension for 108 million. Starts next year. Wild.

What do you do with a drunkin sailor?.....put em in charge of the Padres front office...put em in charge of the Padres front office.....put em in charge of the Padres front office....early in the mornin.

• Like 1

Bilous was actually listed with the best changeup in the system according to BA this year. If I'm not mistaken, Pilkington also has a fairly decent changeup. Both these guys are not long-term starters but they easily could have some value coming out of the pen. We've seen firsthand how having cheap, internal options for the pen is important. And don't forget, Cleveland has one of the best farm systems in baseball - their scouts obviously are doing something right.

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS

1 hour ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Bilous was actually listed with the best changeup in the system according to BA this year. If I'm not mistaken, Pilkington also has a fairly decent changeup. Both these guys are not long-term starters but they easily could have some value coming out of the pen. We've seen firsthand how having cheap, internal options for the pen is important. And don't forget, Cleveland has one of the best farm systems in baseball - their scouts obviously are doing something right.

We put him on waivers to clear space for German, right?

Was there anyone of less use who could have been waived instead? Just want to see who to compare him to later this year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"It’s unclear if the Guardians plan on deploying Bilous as a starter or reliever, but he still has options and can be kept in the minors for a while as a new set of coaches will try to get him back on track. The major league club is in good position at the moment with a rotation fronted by Shane Bieber and Triston McKenzie and a bullpen with Emmanuel Clase and James Karinchak. However, the low-budget club frequently sees its best players depart once they improve their earning power and is constantly on the lookout for younger and cheaper players to replace them with. Bilous has shown huge strikeout stuff but will need to refine his control to earn his way into the mix in Cleveland."

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/02/guardians-claim-jason-bilous-from-white-sox.html

Had been as high as 14th ranked Sox prospect.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Was there anyone of less use who could have been waived instead? Just want to see who to compare him to later this year.

Yes. German has more upside, so I'm fine with his addition. I personally would have rather seen Stiever or Souza cut. By no means do I think Bilous is going to be some amazing arm, but I do think he had at least 1 tool that has a small potential to play at the major league level.

12 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

There were several of similar value to choose from, including, dare I suggest, some veterans. And Bilous had been mostly a starter.

Edited by GreenSox

2 hours ago, pcq said:

Charlotte is going to be a world powerhouse. 

I suppose what Hahn is doing is cleaning out the useless back end of the 40 and trying to upgrade it with some pitchers and hitters with options left who will be available if needed. Not a bad idea if they are more MLB capable even if it is a very slight upgrade only in theory.. Lots of LH hitters among them . Shaw, Haseley ,Mondou, Reyes SH, and the relief pitchers Alexy,  Mike Morin, German, Nate Fisher and Kenyan Middleton. C Sebastian Rivero. Then the guys who have a better chance of making the opening day roster Marisnick, Hamilton, Erick Gonzalez, Nick Avila and Alberto, veterans who may not stick around in the minors if they aren't used.

Just now, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

Bilous is obviously the definition of marginal at best prospect, but seems like the Sox are scraping off from an already alarmingly thin line of starting pitching depth here

I think they were pretty confident he'd clear.  But yah, Sox definitely need to bring in a couple more milb deal SPs for Charlotte.  Current rotation is likely Davis Martin, Jonathon Stiever, AJ Alexy, Sean Burke and.....? Likely was Bilous.  

If Clevinger gets suspended/released/put on leave, Davis Martin is in Chicago making that depth even more thin.