2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Why would anyone want to be a fan of a team with an aggressive, creative GM who desperately wants to win when you can be a fan of a team with a GM who is the exact opposite. 

The White Sox have won more games that the Padres both the last 2 and 3 seasons combined.  

Preller is mad man.  I certainly admire his style from a distance.  But to this point, the Padres have had limited success, just like the Sox.  They did make the NLCS las season, but otherwise look remarkably similar to the White Sox production wise over the last 3 seasons with just 2022 and 2021 seasons flip flopped.  

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The White Sox have won more games that the Padres both the last 2 and 3 seasons combined.  

Preller is mad man.  I certainly admire his style from a distance.  But to this point, the Padres have had limited success, just like the Sox.  They did make the NLCS las season, but otherwise look remarkably similar to the White Sox production wise over the last 3 seasons with just 2022 and 2021 seasons flip flopped.  

Well, except for three post-season series victories, a 50000+ sold out fanfest along with Soto, Tatis, Jr., Bogaerts, Machado, Musgrove, Darvish, Snell and Hader...pretty much exactly the same.

And maybe the competition in the NL West is just a wee BIT stiffer...

However, that's a great selling point for all those ticket agents desperate to generate some commissions, though.  Just switch the years around in the way one perceives the two respective franchises.

And let's not forget the White Sox have unlimited financial flexibility at #12 in current MLB payrolls, while the Padres simply have to be tapped out, right?

No way they can afford an extension for Soto AND a new deal for Machado simultaneously, right?

Meanwhile, Sox looking to dump Giolito and Anderson over the next two seasons....arguably two of the top 3-5 most popular and/or identifiable members of the team.  

Without Anderson, it's basically Dylan Cease and Luis Robert's unfulfilled potential.  Montgomery might actually be third, with Colas 4th...unless one is a huge Eloy or Vaughn fanboy.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

It hasn’t worked for SD yet, and may not ever with a behemoth like LAD in their division.  All things being equal  I’d still rather have an owner and GM who are actually trying.  It’s more than we can say about the dopes at 35th & Shields. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

This is a pretty big thing to just gloss over. How many playoff series have the Sox won recently? 

• Like 1

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/35630053/2022-2023-mlb-offseason-grades-all-30-teams

Anyone with an ESPN Insider sub?  

Guess the Sox got anywhere from a C- to an F...depending on how generous Schoenfield was feeling.  Did we again manage to be ranked last, denied Hahn offseason championship #4?

https://www.soxon35th.com/mlb-insider-gives-the-white-sox-a-disappointing-offseason-grade/

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, LittleHurtCG said:

This is a pretty big thing to just gloss over. How many playoff series have the Sox won recently? 

I mean, I acknowledged the two playoff series wins.  They got the Sox beat there.  But no one is hanging banners for winning a division series.  The two clubs have remarkably similar regular seasons the last 3 years; both have 0 pennants and 0 World Series. 

Yes, one owner and GM has balls, and the others doesn't.  Most certainly was not a post in support of those 2.  But the Padres are talked about like some model franchise, and frankly, results wise the Sox are right there with them over the past several seasons. 

• Haha 1