2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

27 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Q at that price makes me think Sox could have had him for 2/24 easily...and in a division that cant hit lefties....why didn't you still do this....in case Kopech/Lynn have lingering knee issues. Worst case is if all are healthy you get a nice ransom at trade deadline. Oh to be a GM with foresight...

A 6th starter is too much a luxury right now with all the glaring holes on offense.  

15 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I dont think it was headed for disaster either way. They played hard and mostly good when they didn't hate the manager. I dont think it was headed to a World Series, either, because they still aren't willing to spend like a big time club, but it wasn't headed for .500 baseball with this roster.

They probably would have won a couple more division titles and maybe a playoff series or two in this window. They still would be inferior to HOU and NYY and wouldn't have gotten past either in an ALCS or ALDS if they got that draw but they wouldn't have been this bad without TLR

The rebuild was headed for disaster for the jump. Letting Hahn and company architect the rebuild was such a colossal blunder. This FO needs a $350 million dollar annual payroll in order to be considered legit contenders. Trying to rebuild when you have absolutely no idea how to scout, draft, and develop talent is a recipe for what we are seeing now. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Hawk 1

45 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Q at that price makes me think Sox could have had him for 2/24 easily...and in a division that cant hit lefties....why didn't you still do this....in case Kopech/Lynn have lingering knee issues. Worst case is if all are healthy you get a nice ransom at trade deadline. Oh to be a GM with foresight...

And run a 6 man rotation?  

40 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The idea that teams were going to overpay for our guys because closers are awesome or whatever the other reasons are was always going to run into a brick wall of reality. I would actually be somewhat surprised if the front office bought into that, because sometimes RH has to actually be on the phone with other GMs and that should make it harder to delude onesself. 

If they want to move salary from this roster they need a plan for rebuilding. They aren't getting major pieces that will be difference makers on a big league squad back for anyone from their big league club other than Robert or Cease. They aren't going to make themselves vastly better by making the bullpen worse to add an outfielder at the same price. They're stuck because if they want to compete and can't blow past this budget, piecemeal additions are all they can do. 

This is a bit pessimistic. And Lord knows I've contributed to the pessimism around here.

However with every bashing of Hahn, JR,  and the whole backwards organization I do attempt to construct a silver lining scenario.

So while I agreed that piecemeal is what they may do. I also think with a bit of health and progress luck and the right Hendricks trade they can win the division this year or more.

We really have no idea what he might bring back in trade or how bad his loss would hurt which is where I thought you were overly pessimistic.

Keep talking to the Dodgers. Hope they  find an OFer they like but have trouble finding a closer.  The Diaz and Jansen signings raise Hendrik's value.Maybe a larger trade can be made .

I've often argued the Sox were not as talented as we think and that argument has always been based on results .I do think they are potentially talented but injuries and malaise have combined the last 2 years to rob them of showcasing that potential.

The silver lining is maybe this could be the year it happens. The last 1.5 years has been a series of disasters but there is a light at the end of the tunnel but it's a winding track through the tunnel so the light is often not in view.

46 minutes ago, Quin said:

Cali, we get it, you're the greatest scout of all time.

Everyone who posts their opinion thinks it's the right path. I'm no different. I'm not the only one who takes the time to pat himself on the back. I've been here too long to think I'm among the humble  but you'll never find me saying I'll switch to another team  and no matter how much I think the organization is dysfunctional I do always have a modicum of hope if they'd just do as I say! 😆

That's a joke !!!

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Everyone who posts their opinion thinks it's the right path. I'm no different. I'm not the only one who takes the time to pat himself on the back. I've been here too long to think I'm among the humble  but you'll never find me saying I'll switch to another team  and no matter how much I think the organization is dysfunctional I do always have a modicum of hope if they'd just do as I say! 😆

That's a joke !!!

I never said I'd fully switch to the Mets, just buy their gear, because I figure I can actually adopt a full-time NL team for reasons I've stated ad nauseam.

But we've heard you say you

- Knew the rebuild would fail

- Called Yermin's ascension (we haven't heard much about that anymore, despite you saying FutureSox was wrong about him)

- Knew Frank would be a stud before anyone else and that he should have been called up sooner, even though he was called up midway through his second year after being drafted. Crazy fast.

That's just off the top of my head, but man, you've got to give the self congratulatory stuff a rest.

• Like 1
  • Fire 2

2 hours ago, Tony said:

It's clear with in all of his "Hahn Speak" that Rick thinks Tony was a huge problem and Pedro is going to be their "Big Addition." Like always, he's convinced himself he's smarter than everyone else. 

I don't disagree with that - but you still have a massive hole in the outfield.  If they actually plan on addressing that - than I'm fine rolling it back with the reset and hoping Moncada and others bounce back.