2nd Base I guess it’s going to be Sosa or Gonzalez?

AJ'S Cousin

6 minutes ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

Sheets has shown he is a useful LH power bat off the bench. I would think that would have some value to a contender. How about Sheets for Biggio? He could platoon with Kirk at DH and back up Vlad. Currently they have Biggio for that role and Sheets would likely out-hit him.

No competitive team would DH Sheets.  Also, where is his power?  Or do we just say that cuz he's a big guy..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Burger and Sheets are good AAAA depth IMO for few week stretches.

AAAA DH bats, sure.  Good?  Eh.  Guys like them are a dime a dozen, which is why they have no trade value.  Decent warm bodies to fill in for injury, but not guys a supposed contender should be relying on.  

2 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

AAAA DH bats, sure.  Good?  Eh.  Guys like them are a dime a dozen, which is why they have no trade value.  Decent warm bodies to fill in for injury, but not guys a supposed contender should be relying on.  

AAAA depth guys (like them) are not guys to be relied upon and I don't think we are.  

21 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I’m not anti rookie, but rookies usually struggle at some, point if not right away.  

This. It's the inconsistency with rookies. We're all smart baseball people and know players slump and usually can shrug it off.  Rookies are streaky as they learn to make adjustments at the MLB level. They may start hot but eventually teams compile enough film and find your holes then it becomes work. 

5 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Based on his production, he wouldn't be here at all.
Dumping a player with 2 years left on his deal:  I'll believe it when I see it.

The whole Leury thing is so overplayed by Sox fans.

First off, the Sox dumped more money just last year on Keuchel.  So there is precedent.

Secondly, Leury can be a useful bench player.  Tony just criminally overused him and he got buried in his failure.  I would not be surprised in the least to see Leury rebound to the .270/.325/.375 type player he was from 17-21.  For $5M, that's earning your paycheck. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 3
  • TLR 1

1 hour ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

Sheets has shown he is a useful LH power bat off the bench. I would think that would have some value to a contender. How about Sheets for Biggio? He could platoon with Kirk at DH and back up Vlad. Currently they have Biggio for that role and Sheets would likely out-hit him.

The Jays already have their own Gavin Sheets. They call him Spencer Horwitz.

34 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Based on his production, he wouldn't be here at all.
Dumping a player with 2 years left on his deal:  I'll believe it when I see it.

I agree with the pessimism towards the idea of the Sox cutting bait with Leury. The hope is they treat him like Jeff Keppinger who they cut before he made an appearance in year 2 of his 3/12 deal.

That said, Garcia is a sunk cost. If Reinsdorf is the great businessman who wants to win as much as anyone like we are told, he would cut his losses on a player who decreases the club's chances of winning.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

First off, the Sox dumped more money just last year on Keuchel.  So there is precedent.

Secondly, Leury can be a useful bench player.  Tony just criminally overused him and he got buried in his failure.  I would not be surprised in the least to see Leury rebound to the .270/.325/.375 type player he was from 17-21.  For $5M, that's earning your paycheck. 

I gotta disagree here.  Leury could be the difference between Adam Duvall as our 4th OF instead of Victor Reyes.  He’s just such an awful fit for this team as he can’t hit RHP (which doesn’t help us at 2B) and we have a guy in Romy who can likely do his job for league minimum.  I think Leury will be way better than last year, but I think he’s been grossly overrated by this organization simply because he is “versatile”.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I gotta disagree here.  Leury could be the difference between Adam Duvall as our 4th OF instead of Victor Reyes.  He’s just such an awful fit for this team as he can’t hit RHP (which doesn’t help us at 2B) and we have a guy in Romy who can likely do his job for league minimum.  I think Leury will be way better than last year, but I think he’s been grossly overrated by this organization simply because he is “versatile”.

Bad baserunner and a dumb player to go with it.

• Love 1

39 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m no Leury fan and didn’t and still don’t understand the extension beyond TLR wanting his guy. But the if we weren’t paying Leury we could have Duvall analysis is worthless because they are stuck paying Leury. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I’m no Leury fan and didn’t and still don’t understand the extension beyond TLR wanting his guy. But the if we weren’t paying Leury we could have Duvall analysis is worthless because they are stuck paying Leury. 

Which is why it’s annoying we’re stuck with a homeless man’s Ben Zobrist instead of a bench player better suited for this roster.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't get your criminally overused quote at all. If you want 17-21 Leury back offensively he was used just as much if not more in those years. 2020 was 16 games so might as well leave that out.

2017 PA 326 Negative offensive War , Positive defensive, Positive BsR

2018 PA 275 Negative offensive War, Positive defensive, Positive BsR

2019 PA 618 Negative offensive War, Positive defensive, Positive BsR

2021 PA 474 Positive offensive War, Positive defensive, Positive BsR

2022 PA 315  Negative offensive War, Negative defensive, Positive BsR

The only things that gave him any positive War are usually his defense and base running which is all related to his speed. 

Fundamentally he is not good defensively but he does out run down flyballs and is useful at SS.

If by a useful bench player you mean PR and some kind of defensive replacement , that's not enough to be useful. Good depth is being capable of producing War offensively and defensively with some level of consistency.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Yes, he had a couple blunders last year that stood out, but those plays were uncharacteristic. We have a decade of evidence of Leury being a good baserunner. He's got good speed and (usually) makes good decisions.

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Yea that other post was odd to me. Leury was one of the worst base runners for a long time on the team. He and Abreu were very baseball stupid in that department. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I feel like this isn't true.

Anyone with Leury's speed is going to be a positive baserunner. If you routinely get from 1st to 3rd on a single, 2nd to home on a single, 1st to home on a double and steal at a decent rate  you will be considered a good base runner. Just like he is consider a decent fielder because of his speed. It doesn't necessarily mean he is above average at everything. He doesn't have an accurate arm and often misses cut off men.

• Like 1

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Anyone with Leury's speed is going to be a positive baserunner. If you routinely get from 1st to 3rd on a single, 2nd to home on a single, 1st to home on a double and steal at a decent rate  you will be considered a good base runner. Just like he is consider a decent fielder because of his speed. It doesn't necessarily mean he is above average at everything. He doesn't have an accurate arm and often misses cut off men.

True. I guess I just meant more that he's a dumb baserunner like he gets thrown out in weird situations. Or picked off.

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

7 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

True. I guess I just meant more that he's a dumb baserunner like he gets thrown out in weird situations. Or picked off.

Positive value baserunner doesn’t mean smart baserunner though.  Leury seems to lack baseball IQ.  That pickoff at third base last year was one of the dumbest things I have witnessed in sports history.