2nd Base I guess it’s going to be Sosa or Gonzalez?

AJ'S Cousin

True enough. Even though I got a lot of flak for saying I prefer Andrus over Leury and I honestly was perplexed about that, I was just trying to be fair about why he always gets a positive rating as far as BsR goes.

Plenty of good base runner get brain cramps on the bases from time to time. Being fast often means being aggressive and sometimes you pay for that aggressiveness. Straying too far of a base on a line drive with less than 2 outs is another example. Also on a team that had trouble scoring every base running mistake , every bad send by a coach where a runner gets thrown out at home sticks out like a sore thumb.

Moncada and Engel were involved in that triple play which I would rank higher than the picked off 3rd move as far as dumb plays go and they are also generally considered good base runners as far as fangraphs BsR goes.

There was just a whole lot of bad going on last year.

27 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Have we all prepared ourselves for Leury to be the starting 2B come opening day?

That won't happen without an injury to Romy and no acquisition. Even then, they might start Sosa if Romy weren't on the opening day roster.

Leury has been here for a long time but he was no doubt a Tony guy. Check Leury's game logs after Tony left the team. He went from playing 3-4-5 times a week to barely playing at all. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Donny Lucy's Avocado Farm said:

This isn't 100% a joke. Grifol stated in a podcast/interview that he asked Eloy to take reps in RF. 

I dont understand the absolute hand wringing over Eloy playing some games in the outfield. Its going to happen. People act like if he sets one foot onto the outfield grass the entire team is going to collapse.  Also, god forbid Pedro asks a player to have a little positional versatility. 

Edited by CBJ03

55 minutes ago, CBJ03 said:

I dont understand the absolute hand wringing over Eloy playing some games in the outfield. Its going to happen. People act like if he sets one foot onto the outfield grass the entire team is going to collapse.  Also, god forbid Pedro asks a player to have a little positional versatility. 

I don't think anyone has any problem with Eloy playing the occasional game in LF. Most are worried about Eloy playing some games in RF, a position that he hasn't played since the minors. Not only would his penchant for making a clumsy mistake be more likely to get exposed in RF than LF, but playing an unfamiliar position with his big lumbering body could increase the likelihood of injury, which is the whole point of moving him to DH (nearly) full time.

In all likelihood he's probably not out there in RF at all this season barring a rash of injuries to other players though. It would help if the team had a legit 4th OF on the roster.

1 hour ago, CBJ03 said:

No one has any problem with positional versatility.  But in specifically Eloy's case, we have seen him injure himself multiple times playing defense.  It is not an overreaction to that exact history to want him out there as absolutely little as possible so as to keep him healthy as a hitter.  Also there is no problem at all with any other player on the roster playing in other positions which their skillsets allow them to learn and play to a level that doesn't hurt the team when they play that position.  There should be some common sense built into that idea.   Sticking horrible players in a position to fail and excusing it as "positional versatility" is just another way to excuse stupid decision making.

7 minutes ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

I don't think anyone has any problem with Eloy playing the occasional game in LF. Most are worried about Eloy playing some games in RF, a position that he hasn't played since the minors. Not only would his penchant for making a clumsy mistake be more likely to get exposed in RF than LF, but playing an unfamiliar position with his big lumbering body could increase the likelihood of injury, which is the whole point of moving him to DH (nearly) full time.

In all likelihood he's probably not out there in RF at all this season barring a rash of injuries to other players though. It would help if the team had a legit 4th OF on the roster.

Eloy had two major injuries. The pec muscle was stupid and avoidable. The hamstring happened running to first base. That would've happened no matter where he was penciled in in that days lineup.  He played OF in 114 of 122 games in '19 and then he played 54 of 55 games in '20 in LF. I don't think he should be a primary OF either, but people make it out like he'll get hurt adjusting his jock while standing out there. Having him 20-30 games in the OF is going to happen, will he make a dumb play or two, sure, but to act like having Eloy play out there is some guaranteed injury is just stupid. And the uproar over the idea that Pedro basically told him you're no longer the primary LF so we want you to be able to play some right field as well is just bitching to b****. What was he supposed to say, "You'll never see the outfield again so don't try to improve this offseason"? That would've have gone over better? 

Just now, CBJ03 said:

Eloy had two major injuries. The pec muscle was stupid and avoidable. The hamstring happened running to first base. That would've happened no matter where he was penciled in in that days lineup.  He played OF in 114 of 122 games in '19 and then he played 54 of 55 games in '20 in LF. I don't think he should be a primary OF either, but people make it out like he'll get hurt adjusting his jock while standing out there. Having him 20-30 games in the OF is going to happen, will he make a dumb play or two, sure, but to act like having Eloy play out there is some guaranteed injury is just stupid. And the uproar over the idea that Pedro basically told him you're no longer the primary LF so we want you to be able to play some right field as well is just bitching to b****. What was he supposed to say, "You'll never see the outfield again so don't try to improve this offseason"? That would've have gone over better? 

Honestly, Rick Hahn gave a better answer to a similar question yesterday. "We expect Oscar Colas to be our right fielder this year and we have confidence in him in that spot". 

Don't need to express doubt about the kid, don't need to make it seem like you need to upgrade your outfielder even if you might still do so. 

2 minutes ago, CBJ03 said:

I don't disagree with you, I have no problem with Eloy being in the OF 20-30 games this season and I expect it will be the case. I just don't think it should be in RF. Benitendi can take a game or so off per week against LHP. But putting Eloy in RF would be a mistake.

6 minutes ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

I don't disagree with you, I have no problem with Eloy being in the OF 20-30 games this season and I expect it will be the case. I just don't think it should be in RF. Benitendi can take a game or so off per week against LHP. But putting Eloy in RF would be a mistake.

I don't think it'll be in RF either. I'm just saying the outrage over Pedro mentioning him getting offseason reps there is just finding anything to be miserable about. The Sox understand that his value is at the plate. 

34 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Invite to spring training I could get with.  He at least has had some success in recent years.  I think the physical would be key here.  If he really is physically unable, that probably excludes him.

If we got the version of La Stella from 2021 it would be a huge boost. He struggled but had a .734 OPS against RHP, which is a lot better than I expect out of Romy/Sosa/Leury. But yeah, obviously health is key and he was not healthy last year.

Only negative about signing him to a minor league deal is that if the Sox did that, it would mean they are done adding at the position. I'm still holding out hope for a trade for a La Stella-like player that doesn't have the injury concerns.

Edited by ChiSoxTrojan

On 1/4/2023 at 4:45 PM, raBBit said:

I agree with the pessimism towards the idea of the Sox cutting bait with Leury. The hope is they treat him like Jeff Keppinger who they cut before he made an appearance in year 2 of his 3/12 deal.

I believe that Keppinger quit first.

• Like 1

I still have a hard time believing that the Sox are serious about winning and I doubt the Front Office when they say they’re trying to make the team better when Leury Garcia is still on the roster.

Getting rid of him, makes them better instantly.

1 hour ago, Joshua Strong said:

I still have a hard time believing that the Sox are serious about winning and I doubt the Front Office when they say they’re trying to make the team better when Leury Garcia is still on the roster.

Getting rid of him, makes them better instantly.

Used sparingly getting the occasional start at 2B and in the OF, he's fine.  He can play multiple positions and is a decent utility guy to have on the roster.  TLR's blatant misuse of him, and the fact that he gets paid WAY too much money makes us despise the guy.