Lance Lynn has a new trick

southsider2k5

49 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Interesting stuff. I never noticed it late in the season, probably because I was watching less. Imagine if he shows up to camp in shape as well.

A guy can dream... 

He could be better than ever in 2023. He looked really sharp at the end of the year and that was when he was still in the process of perfecting the pitch. The more he gets comfortable with it he'll be even better. I expect Cease and him to be a formidable 1-2 punch at the top of the rotation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I laughed when Steve Stone insisted Lynn did everything he could to pitch 200 innings, including being in top physical condition. I think Steve knows the game, and sometimes he is really good. But he thinks the audience is just a bunch of total idiots.

Yeah. I don't expect or need Lynn to be a cardio monster running steps and being chiseled... but coming in incredibly overweight with very little training at his age and on his knees is just reckless. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He could be better than ever in 2023. He looked really sharp at the end of the year and that was when he was still in the process of perfecting the pitch. The more he gets comfortable with it he'll be even better. I expect Cease and him to be a formidable 1-2 punch at the top of the rotation.

He looked really sharp at the end of the year? This sounded like news to me and it was. Over his last 4 starts, ERA of 3.70, FIP of 3.93. That included a 6 run pounding by the Guardians during the series they needed to sweep, followed by giving up 10 hits in 5 innings to Minnesota after everyone was out of the race. His K-Rate over those 4 starts was also pretty darn low for him.

He did have a 2 month stretch of really good outings from the start after the All Star break through mid-September before a disappointing last 4 starts, particularly when the pressure was on. At least at the time I attributed the positive stretch to him finally getting into game shape after "madly rushing through a 3 start spring training because the team was so desperate for pitching depth" affecting his May and June performance. 

If this was something he was working on the last couple starts, it doesn't show up as a positive in the statistics. 

25 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He looked really sharp at the end of the year? This sounded like news to me and it was. Over his last 4 starts, ERA of 3.70, FIP of 3.93. That included a 6 run pounding by the Guardians during the series they needed to sweep, followed by giving up 10 hits in 5 innings to Minnesota after everyone was out of the race. His K-Rate over those 4 starts was also pretty darn low for him.

He did have a 2 month stretch of really good outings from the start after the All Star break through mid-September before a disappointing last 4 starts, particularly when the pressure was on. At least at the time I attributed the positive stretch to him finally getting into game shape after "madly rushing through a 3 start spring training because the team was so desperate for pitching depth" affecting his May and June performance. 

If this was something he was working on the last couple starts, it doesn't show up as a positive in the statistics. 

I guess you missed this part of the article.

From August 1 onwards, he posted a 2.43 ERA backed by a 3.27 FIP and a 3.31 xFIP across 12 starts. His 62 ERA- was ninth best in the majors during that time period, and his strikeout-to-walk ratio went from a good 4.9 to an elite 8.3. 12 starts since August 1st.

On July 16th his ERA was 7.50 he brought it down to 3.99 in his last 12 starts. His those last 4 starts his ERA started at 3.99 and remained at 3.99. But sure go ahead and concentrate on the last 4 I guess.

BTW only 3 of those 6 runs against the Guardians was earned. His previous start against the Guardians just 5 days earlier was 6.1 IP and 2 earned runs which the Sox won. He had not great games in 3 of the 12 games started since Aug 1st. In the other 9 games he gave up 2 ER twice, 1 ER 4 times, and 0 ER twice.

But keep doing the contrarian thing with me and taking 2 bad games out of his last 4 to make things look worse.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • Hawk 1

1 hour ago, The Grinder said:

Wasnt Bartolo Colon just as rotund or more as LL? It would probably do him good to shed a few pounds but it’s not like hes out running bases or catching fly balls. IIRC a commentator once said for a big guy he can move pretty fast

Did Bartolo have major knee issues?  That’s the problem with Lynn being out of shape…puts a lot more stress on his knees.

22 hours ago, The Grinder said:

How about he cuts back on eating and drinking beer and starts working out more? Now that be a good trick !

I agree 100 percent and besides working on a better diet, maybe he should choose not to play in the WBC like Dylan Cease just did. Imo, Dylan did the smart thing and realized as much of an honor as it is to play in the WBC representing your country, it is a far wiser decision to bypass the WBC and spend that valuable time getting in the best shape possible and avoiding any injuries heading into the 2023 White Sox season.

Dylan is only 27 yrs old and made a smart and mature decision for his White Sox team to bypass the WBC. It seems that Lance at 35 yrs old, with bad knees and overweight, maybe should have considered the same thing. Let's not forget Lynn is being paid 18.5 million a year to pitch for the White Sox.

Every single Sox fan will be screaming what a dumb decision it was to play in the WBC, if Lance for some nightmare occurrence gets some serious injury, which would cause him to miss time at the start of the Sox 2023 season. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 1:20 PM, Balta1701 said:

Your signature should be "well AAActually..." 

On 1/20/2023 at 1:08 PM, Dick Allen said:

I laughed when Steve Stone insisted Lynn did everything he could to pitch 200 innings, including being in top physical condition. I think Steve knows the game, and sometimes he is really good. But he thinks the audience is just a bunch of total idiots.

Or he's playing the Bob Newhart role to a tee, with sarcastic humor.  I don't recall it, but I'll believe your take because, well because your Dick Allen and seem to know what you saying more than a lot of people on this board.