Sox claim AJ Alexy from Twins

southsider2k5

19 minutes ago, pcq said:

Have to hope they are at least aaa worthy. Sox leave them with a fair amount of drek. 

Considering they are supposedly in the window of contention yet are resorting to these kind of signings...what does that tell you?

Can't wait to hear the excuses from Hahn when spring training starts.

• TLR 1

7 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

More flotsam and jetsam. 

Like charted, chartered, uncharted, unchartered...basically the White Sox are the modern-day equivalent of algae floating on top of turgid water.

Can't imagine any MLB team so mired in mediocrity (at or around .a 500 record last year) with a more dispirited fanbase or less hope/s for 2-3 years from now.

"Turgid describes something that's swollen, typically by fluids, like a turgid water balloon that's way too big to resist dropping on your friend's head."

Didn't quite use it correctly, but it just sounds right to describe the hopeless feeling described herein.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Considering they are supposedly in the window of contention yet are resorting to these kind of signings...what does that tell you?

Would expect the quotes in bold below that he offered to Danny Parkins two years ago, when asked how Rick was notified of Tony’s February 2020 DUI when Rick is asked about the debacle of offseason, even before the Mike Clevinger investigation was made public.

Quote:

“You know, Danny, today is … as I sit here today and … really, of all days, the day when there’s optimism and excitement and we’ve got we’re back together in the same place for the first time in a while, and we have World Series aspirations, I’m not that interested in sort of going through the hiring process and decision and communication and the internal elements of that. Honestly, like, the last few months working with Tony have been — I’ve gotten more and more excited about where this team is headed and what he’s going to contribute. 

Sitting here today and looking at the staff we were able to assemble, I’m just thrilled with the conversations we’ve had — unfortunately mostly via Zoom — with the conversations we’ve had and the position we’ve got this team in right now. And my focus is not on rehashing something that happened four or five months ago, it’s about the excitement that we feel as we get ready to try to win a championship. 

“So I know that’s probably an unsatisfying answer, but honestly, Danny, that’s as candid as I can be about the thing is that I’m looking forward to the future. I’m not trying to rehash the past process.”

These are the kind of moves I’d expect any team to make. What’d you say when the Sox signed a 30 year old with 100 career ABs that hadn’t played mlb in almost two years called Pablo Ozuna in Jan 2005? Let me guess you were celebrating signing a quality utility player like world series winners do.

23 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

These are the kind of moves I’d expect any team to make. What’d you say when the Sox signed a 30 year old with 100 career ABs that hadn’t played mlb in almost two years called Pablo Ozuna in Jan 2005? Let me guess you were celebrating signing a quality utility player like world series winners do.

So this guy is on steroids too?

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:
01/30/23 Chicago White Sox signed free agent 2B Nate Mondou to a minor league contract. Almost 28, LH, 2B, 3B, LF .299, .388, .388, .776 Career in minors.

His minor league numbers the past couple years are actually pretty decent. Left handed 2B with OPS over .800 the past 2 years in AAA. Gets on base, not a lot of power. Anyone know more about him, like his defense at 2B? 

12 minutes ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

Why are we getting upset by minor league signings? The Sox need the depth. The Charlotte roster is a wasteland.

I mean, the answer is “because the Charlotte roster is a wasteland and since there’s no talent there these guys are likely to be on the big league roster when people get hurt, rather than actual prospects.”

1 hour ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

Why are we getting upset by minor league signings? The Sox need the depth. The Charlotte roster is a wasteland.

It's more that it is becoming clearer and clearer that the Sox are sugnkng these guys as necessary minor league depth, when they should be considered minor league fillers.

52 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I mean, the answer is “because the Charlotte roster is a wasteland and since there’s no talent there these guys are likely to be on the big league roster when people get hurt, rather than actual prospects.”

Well the problem is that there are no actual prospects, but that was the problem yesterday as well. It's the reason the Sox system is ranked 28th in the league or whatever it is.

But picking up AAA-level prospects off waivers and signing guys to minor league deals is the solution to that problem. Well if not a solution, then a temporary (and necessary) band-aid. I don't see why anyone could be upset by these moves, the team needs more of them.

3 hours ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

17 years back is a bit much to cover for all the lean years in between...yes, everything went almost perfectly in every personnel move in 2004/2005.

Especially Contreras and Jenks for free.

14 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lip complains about everything. Been that way since the old WSI days. Just look at his Twitter!

The results make "complaining" very easy to do don't they? Give me reasons not to call out the ineptness, dysfunction and incompetence and I'll be happy to comply. If you read my story "State of the Sox" you'd realize how bad things are in this organization. This from a half dozen sources connected to it. 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 11:02 AM, Lip Man 1 said:

Normally you'd think this but with this inept, dysfunctional and incompetent organization we shouldn't be surprised.

It's just Jerry sticking to his budget. He'll probably wait to see if Clevinger is suspended to free up any money.

By then it'll be too late unless he gets a heads up from the league that a suspension is likely coming.

The team being in a position to succeed is, has been, and will continue to be,  secondary.

• Like 1

The results make "complaining" very easy to do don't they? Give me reasons not to call out the ineptness, dysfunction and incompetence and I'll be happy to comply. If you read my story "State of the Sox" you'd realize how bad things are in this organization. This from a half dozen sources connected to it. 

Yeah but signing a young pitcher and giving him a non roster invite to spring training isn’t any of those things. I don’t think anyone is disputing the Sox are dysfunctional. This just isn’t an example of it. If they weren’t inviting guys like this that would be further evidence of incompetence, not the other way around.

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

No interest, tbh. 

59 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

Yeah but signing a young pitcher and giving him a non roster invite to spring training isn’t any of those things. I don’t think anyone is disputing the Sox are dysfunctional. This just isn’t an example of it. If they weren’t inviting guys like this that would be further evidence of incompetence, not the other way around.

I case the argument is that the minor league depth pieces are not good enough to be minor league depth pieces.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I case the argument is that the minor league depth pieces are not good enough to be minor league depth pieces.  

See the days of Jerry Owens, Josh Fields, Wasserman, etc.

They had to make Top Ten lists every year, so naturally fans would get excited...but those players wouldn't have made lists for most other teams other than Fields as a traditionally-challenged Sox first rounder without a position.  Can't remember the 2B and catching prospects, but there was a Latin catcher on the BA list for 2-3 years that never even made it to the majors.

A similar player that comes to mind is that kid with the Cards (Hahn's high school) who was on the periphery of their Top Ten at the time but did almost nothing for the Sox...could also never stay healthy.