2023-24 NFL Season Thread

2 hours ago, bmags said:

I don't think that's 4D, that's pretty straightforward.

I do think having watched a decent amount of the league the last few weeks, that the bears QB situation is not terrible. And while it is scary to pass on what could be two very good QB prospects and raise the chance you miss out on a 2020 like class (Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Hurts), you can also have the opportunity to trade down out of 1, still get marvin harrison, still have another first rounder next year.

Really, I'm not sure it's even necessary to draft Alt/Fashanu. Jones has looked pretty damn good. You get a real center, which the FA class looks ok there, and it's a good group, albeit with some injury risk at guard.

So you could potentially have an extremely fun top draft class of MHJ + Bowers. But after watching Laiatu Latu on saturday i'd be pretty happy with MHJ + Latu.

You're going to draft Bowers after the Kmet extension?

Are they planning to run the Iowa offense + DJ Moore/Mooney with a renewed focus on jailbreak screens?

It would be a lot less expensive in terms of draft capital to take Luke Lachey or All (both coming off injuries) later in the draft.

Edited by caulfield12

11 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

You're going to draft Bowers after the Kmet extension?

Are they planning to run the Iowa offense + DJ Moore/Mooney with a renewed focus on jailbreak screens?

It would be a lot less expensive in terms of draft capital to take Luke Lachey or All (both coming off injuries) later in the draft.

Bowers is more of a U tight end that will play off the line, unlike Kmet and more like Packers TE Musgrove. 

But your whole comment is just so stupid I can’t handle it.

• Haha 1

I don't see any QB in this draft that's a sure bet to be better than Fields. If someone wants to give you a haul of picks so they can draft Caleb Williams you take it.

Between FA and the first two rounds, address LT, LG, C, Edge, DT, CB depth.

Pick up WR, LB and S depth in the later rounds.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Bowers is more of a U tight end that will play off the line, unlike Kmet and more like Packers TE Musgrove. 

Except for joking about the Iowa offense…every single Iowa tight end pretty much going back to Dallas Clark has been undervalued in the draft relative to eventual NFL production with the exceptions of Hockenson and Fant.  Sam LaPorta was picked 34th by the Lions last year and has had a very strong rookie campaign.  Pretty much every Iowa TE has been a strong blocker with a few notable exceptions.

Why would you spend a top ten pick on Bowers if can find a reasonable facsimile from rounds 3-5?

TE isn’t a need or a big enough value position with the Bears already possessing  a Top 8-12ish one. Let’s not forget Kyle Pitts was supposed to be “generational” and look at how that has worked out for the Falcons.  In the process, they missed out on taking Jamarr Chase, Jaylen Waddle, Penei Sewell, Pat Surtain, Micah Parsons, etc.  Bowers might be able to hold his own, but right now he doesn’t profile as an exceptional blocker at the next level.

56 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I don't see any QB in this draft that's a sure bet to be better than Fields. If someone wants to give you a haul of picks so they can draft Caleb Williams you take it.

Between FA and the first two rounds, address LT, LG, C, Edge, DT, CB depth.

Pick up WR, LB and S depth in the later rounds.

Those five losses and crying memes and refusing to do interviews after some tough losses like this latest one against UCLA are causing a good number of doubts to creep in about Williams…at least on the character and attitude side.

37 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Those five losses and crying memes and refusing to do interviews after some tough losses like this latest one against UCLA are causing a good number of doubts to creep in about Williams…at least on the character and attitude side.

He'll still go number 1. Teams will look past that as they have no choice but to dream big.  See Carolina, last spring.

If the Bears get 1 and 5, I'd trade out of both if Fields is the answer.  If you get a 6 and 12 and then another two firsts next year, you have a process in place.

Clean out every coach and go get an experienced offensive mind at HC and an older DC that isn't going to leave.  

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I have liked the idea of brockets and Harrison jr for a while. But with then moving down and getting a future 1st too. Don’t know if that is really possible but I think that gives any qb we have and oc a ton to work with. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I have liked the idea of brockets and Harrison jr for a while. But with then moving down and getting a future 1st too. Don’t know if that is really possible but I think that gives any qb we have and oc a ton to work with. 

If the Bears use the #1 pick on Harrison, I don't see them being able to upgrade the OL enough to get your full value from him.

2 hours ago, nitetrain8601 said:

Bowers is a waste of a high draft asset unless you're trading Kmet. 

He's not. Mayer is going to be an incredibly good receiving TE. 12 personnel is increasing in usage in the NFL especially by 49ers and eagles. Having one of the best receiving TE prospects ever (which kmet is not used in that role) allows you to build an offense with multiple weapons and would work extremely well.

What's a waste is to use a high draft asset to grab a top edge from an extremely weak edge class because your bad team has a need for it.

Also I'm in on this line being very close to good. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2024-free-agency-primer-best-free-agents-every-position

While most of that list will never see the light of day, I think it IS likely Connor Williams of the dolphins is available. 

Adding a veteran center that can snap a ball and not get injured every game will be a big help. Braxton has looked very good so far, and I just don't think they are coached very well/the constant swapping of positions has been a terrible idea.

You have to rebuild the defense first unless you have one of the Top 3-5 or certainly no worse than Top 10 QBR in the league.

Even the vaunted Dolphins with their historic offense (we'll see now with Jalen Ramsey's individual brilliance) hasn't been enough to beat above any .500+ teams.

Defense defense defense.

Have seen enough Lincoln Riley disappointments over a decade to know how the story ends when elite offenses go up against elite defenses...and your own defense can't get off the field and eventually wears down in the 2nd half every single time.

10 hours ago, Milkman delivers said:

Man, people still sell themselves on Fields? He’s not the future. He puts together a good game here and there, and everyone convinces themselves that he’s figured it out.

If you have two high draft picks, one of them better be on a quarterback.

I don't think either Williams or Maye are any better than Fields. 

Fields has been average for 2 years, with insane physical tools. 

I'd rather not waste one of those picks on a QB when MHJ is there. If they don't take him 1st overall they're not getting him because AZ can't get out of the Murray deal. 

Edited by baseball_gal_aly
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

You have to rebuild the defense first unless you have one of the Top 3-5 or certainly no worse than Top 10 QBR in the league.

Even the vaunted Dolphins with their historic offense (we'll see now with Jalen Ramsey's individual brilliance) hasn't been enough to beat above any .500+ teams.

Defense defense defense.

Have seen enough Lincoln Riley disappointments over a decade to know how the story ends when elite offenses go up against elite defenses...and your own defense can't get off the field and eventually wears down in the 2nd half every single time.

Lincoln Riley is your barometer for NFL elite offense?

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Jalen Hurts

Baker Mayfield

Kyler Murray

Caleb Williams 

Only notable failure was Spencer Rattler.

Names names names.  How does the Lincoln Riley offense make a difference at the next level when none of the coaches are coaching the Lincoln Riley offense to these players.

caleb isn’t even in the nfl and your weird obsession adds him to the list lmao

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Names names names.  How does the Lincoln Riley offense make a difference at the next level when none of the coaches are coaching the Lincoln Riley offense to these players.

caleb isn’t even in the nfl and your weird obsession adds him to the list lmao

My father went to OU, making that my second favorite college team automatically, and I watched every single one of his games as a Sooner as a freshman.

If I grew up in Wilmington, I would be certainly be talking about UNC QB Maye instead.

So sure...we can go back to the Great Outman debate and who gets credit for discovering him and acquiring him on behalf of the White Sox instead.

Did Jason Benetti have a weird Massey Lopez obsession...or are they simply Chicagoland products that would seem more relevant to local fans more likely to tune into the broadcast?

Also, what about your weird obsession for putting Trevor Bauer behind bars for life based on incomplete or fabricated or non-existent evidence???

Edited by caulfield12

14 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

My father went to OU, making that my second favorite college team automatically, and I watched every single one of his games as a Sooner as a freshman.

If I grew up in Wilmington, I would be certainly be talking about UNC QB Maye instead.

So sure...we can go back to the Great Outman debate and who gets credit for discovering him and acquiring him on behalf of the White Sox instead.

Did Jason Benetti have a weird Massey Lopez obsession...or are they simply Chicagoland products that would seem more relevant to local fans more likely to tune into the broadcast?

Also, what about your weird obsession for putting Trevor Bauer behind bars for life based on incomplete or fabricated or non-existent evidence???

Are you on drugs.  Like seriously what the hell is any of this