2023-24 NFL Season Thread

56 minutes ago, bmags said:

Because I am a man of the people and I am hiding in this thread because the white sox are too painful 

Dane Bruglers mock is out.

The painful? AFter the bears take Caleb Williams 1.1, Marvin Harrison, Malik Nabers, Brock Bowers and Rome Odunze go 3, 4, 5, 6.

He has the bears taking Dallas Turner at 9. I think this will be a popular pick in mock drafters. I personally believe there is zero chance it happens at 9. 

If this is the board, either we take Fashanu/Alt (Fashanu is available in this case), or we trade back and get more capital. I don't see much of a difference between Turner/Latu/Verse in draft grades. I'd rather take Fashanu or trade back and take Brian Thomas (he is taken 17th).

Other things of note: Jer'Zhan newton goes 28th, so he may be not the top ten rumor people had of him.

Penix went 44th, McCarthy top 20.

Ladd McConkey went mid-2nd. 

Personally, I'd be ok if we somehow got a 2nd, found that Tee Higgins became available, and drafted McConkey.

Having 2 vet wideouts with a route master like McConkey as a slot would be perfect for a vet QB. 

In a perfect world, they draft the right QB at 1, secure their LT at No. 9, and use the hopeful 2nd they get back from Fields to get a WR to complement DJ. You try and sign someone like Andre James at C in free agency, and fill in the rest of your holes in the draft. But they'd have a well rounded team with those moves, all of which seem pretty realistic. The only thing still missing is another edge rusher, which again could be done in FA. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Tony said:

In a perfect world, they draft the right QB at 1, secure their LT at No. 9, and use the hopeful 2nd they get back from Fields to get a WR to complement DJ. You try and sign someone like Andre James at C in free agency, and fill in the rest of your holes in the draft. But they'd have a well rounded team with those moves, all of which seem pretty realistic. The only thing still missing is another edge rusher, which again could be done in FA. 

This would be my perfect an as well. QB, protect QB, help QB be more explosive in the offense. 

45 minutes ago, Tony said:

I haven't seen a mock draft that has either of the top two LT available at #9.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Because I am a man of the people and I am hiding in this thread because the white sox are too painful 

The painful? AFter the bears take Caleb Williams 1.1, Marvin Harrison, Malik Nabers, Brock Bowers and Rome Odunze go 3, 4, 5, 6.

He has the bears taking Dallas Turner at 9. I think this will be a popular pick in mock drafters. I personally believe there is zero chance it happens at 9. 

If this is the board, either we take Fashanu/Alt (Fashanu is available in this case), or we trade back and get more capital. I don't see much of a difference between Turner/Latu/Verse in draft grades. I'd rather take Fashanu or trade back and take Brian Thomas (he is taken 17th).

Other things of note: Jer'Zhan newton goes 28th, so he may be not the top ten rumor people had of him.

Personally, I'd be ok if we somehow got a 2nd, found that Tee Higgins became available, and drafted McConkey.

Having 2 vet wideouts with a route master like McConkey as a slot would be perfect for a vet QB. 

I think the worse case scenario is 2 QB's go in top 8 and no defensive players go. If that is the case - than I think this is what is there at 9.

Gone:

QB: 2 (Williams / May)

WR: 3 (MHJ / Nabers / Rome)

OTs: 2 (Alt / Fashanu) 

TBD: Who else goes if it is no defensive?  I don't know at this point.  I would be kind of hard shocked that a 3rd QB doesn't go - you would suspect Atlanta would take one at 8.

Bears Options: Take best defensive player on the board or trade down?

What I think happens:

Gone: 3 QB's 

Gone: 2 WR's 

Gone: 1 Defensive Player

Gone: 1 Tackle

This would leave the Bears with the potential choice of two of this group: Brockers, One of the LT's, One of the Top 3 Wideouts or the next best defensive player.  My big assumption here is one of the defensive players goes. It could very well be no defensive players goes - which means if Bears are looking offense they would only have their shot at one of the group of Brockers, a top 3 wideout, or one of the Top 2 OT's.  

1 hour ago, bmags said:

On your other point - If someone had a crystal ball and told me we could for sure get Higgins, even if it was an overpay, I would say do that, than target best defensive player or tackle in the draft (if going defensive - I'd say a slight trade back would even be acceptable).  

I think Bears can afford to pay Higgins, Moore, Sweat, Johnson, and Kmet given fact that they would have a lot of other players on rookie deals - including the QB (I'm just assuming the 1st pick Bears make is QB at this point).  You would have a QB and your OT's on rookie deals and Higgins/Moore is a pretty good combo.  I would still add yet another WR later in the draft though (given how deep of a WR draft this is).  

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think the worse case scenario is 2 QB's go in top 8 and no defensive players go. If that is the case - than I think this is what is there at 9.

Gone:

QB: 2 (Williams / May)

WR: 3 (MHJ / Nabers / Rome)

OTs: 2 (Alt / Fashanu) 

TBD: Who else goes if it is no defensive?  I don't know at this point.  I would be kind of hard shocked that a 3rd QB doesn't go - you would suspect Atlanta would take one at 8.

Bears Options: Take best defensive player on the board or trade down?

What I think happens:

Gone: 3 QB's 

Gone: 2 WR's 

Gone: 1 Defensive Player

Gone: 1 Tackle

This would leave the Bears with the potential choice of two of this group: Brockers, One of the LT's, One of the Top 3 Wideouts or the next best defensive player.  My big assumption here is one of the defensive players goes. It could very well be no defensive players goes - which means if Bears are looking offense they would only have their shot at one of the group of Brockers, a top 3 wideout, or one of the Top 2 OT's.  

I think the worst case here is they end up with Bowers. He'd be nice fit if they hire Waldron, but they already have Kmet and can easily go get a 2nd TE for cheap in FA. You can argue that Bowers is very versatile and you can line him up anywhere though, but the Bears definitely have a bigger need at WR. 

I think Odunze is the most optimal pick at 9, followed by Fashanu, Turner, and Bowers. 

4 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

That’s a bit revisionist, Cleveland had every right to bail with how he played(choosing Watson is a completely different conversation).  This is a nice comeback year for Baker but it does not seem to be consistent with his career 

IMG_3145.jpeg

Or his 4th year was seriously impacted by him playing very hurt.  Not sure what to make of his time in Carolina - it was short lived and obviously not good.  But Baker's 1st and 3rd years were pretty good. He's an interesting example of a #1 overall pick who didn't get a ton of runway.  Just look up his stats vs. Trevor Lawrence's first 3 years.  Just looked - i forgot how good Lawrence was last year - he really regressed with turnovers in year 3 (2nd year in same system).

4 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Or his 4th year was seriously impacted by him playing very hurt.  Not sure what to make of his time in Carolina - it was short lived and obviously not good.  But Baker's 1st and 3rd years were pretty good. He's an interesting example of a #1 overall pick who didn't get a ton of runway.  Just look up his stats vs. Trevor Lawrence's first 3 years.  Just looked - i forgot how good Lawrence was last year - he really regressed with turnovers in year 3 (2nd year in same system).

Lawrence ankle was wrecked over the last four games and his play reflected it.  To me Baker is what he is, a middle of the road guy who can get you where he is right now in the right situation or a guy who throws as many TDs as interceptions and you keep thinking he is going to take the next step some day because this season he popped out of nowhere.  If he all the sudden becomes the truth in Tampa, by all means I can admit that I was wrong, I’m just not ready to say that right now 

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Or you figure out a way to draft Daniels and Nabers together but that’s getting too cute.

Have to go Williams and pair him with a QB coach he respects and is already familiar with obviously.

I think one thing we have learned - you have to be careful too around having too many people in the room as well.  You don't want 3 different voices in a QB's ear - you really want to make sure you have 1 really good OC who is comfortable and smart and than he needs to have a really strong relationship with the QB coach (both the OC and QB need strong relationships with that person). Cause if they don't - than mixed messaging will happen or too much over think will happen. Such a delicate balance.  

1 hour ago, Tony said:

One of the twitter people pointed out how much the OCs we are interviewing (sans roman) rely on 3 WR sets which we couldn't really with our personnel post Claypool (which was also a disaster). We have to get a better WR room. I think this is an awesome class, but without a current 2nd round pick, that second first looms large. 

If we get an established guy...like Higgins, then awesome. He's very likely to be franchise tagged though.

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

One of the twitter people pointed out how much the OCs we are interviewing (sans roman) rely on 3 WR sets which we couldn't really with our personnel post Claypool (which was also a disaster). We have to get a better WR room. I think this is an awesome class, but without a current 2nd round pick, that second first looms large. 

If we get an established guy...like Higgins, then awesome. He's very likely to be franchise tagged though.

I just assume we'll get one 2nd rounder back when we trade Field(s) - but hopefully I'm not too optimistic there.  

48 minutes ago, bmags said:

They do have quite a bit of cap room to buy a good WR. 

3 hours ago, bmags said:

IMG_3152.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

The longer they take the lesser the options become, as the HOF coaches start to get their jobs and build their staffs 

Tough though because the new rule where no in person interviews until next week may make it a holdup. They may have decided on Klint Kubiak but he'd be tied up in playoffs.

3 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think one thing we have learned - you have to be careful too around having too many people in the room as well.  You don't want 3 different voices in a QB's ear - you really want to make sure you have 1 really good OC who is comfortable and smart and than he needs to have a really strong relationship with the QB coach (both the OC and QB need strong relationships with that person). Cause if they don't - than mixed messaging will happen or too much over think will happen. Such a delicate balance.  

Exact problem in Philly right now...that disconnect. Players didn't know who was calling the plays...then they started freelancing wheels trust broke down.

Hurts with the injuries lost scrambling ability, and needed to start throwing less deep balls downfield instead going short medium and over the middle.

And the defense just collapsed like Dallas over the weekend.

Worst in league since 10-1.

Edited by caulfield12