2023-24 NFL Season Thread

46 minutes ago, chw42 said:

The FG miss aside, I thought the Bills' play calling after the 2 minute warning was a huge headscratcher. They had a 2nd and 9 going into the 2 minute warning and the Chiefs had 3 timeouts. If you score a TD then and there, which is what they were going for on the first play out of the 2 minute warning, you're giving Mahomes the ball with 2 minutes left and 3 time outs. I'd say the chances of him scoring a TD to win the game are pretty good. If you throw the ball twice there and tie the game, which is what ended up happening, you leave Mahomes with at least 1:30 and 3 timeouts to get in FG range, which I would say is very likely to happen. I thought they should have at least tried to run the ball a few more times, burn KC's timeouts, and whatever happens happens. They ran the ball well all game and Cook was getting 6 yards a carry. Not trying to run some clock there when Mahomes is on the other sideline made no sense to me. 

Are you sure the Chiefs had all three timeouts and it wasn't just two?

• 1st & 10 at 50

(9:26 - 4th) Timeout #1 by KC at 09:26.

Another weird thing is why Buffalo went to Johnson so much in the 2nd half when Cook had been so dominant running the ball for the first 2 1/2 quarters or so of the game.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

The FG miss aside, I thought the Bills' play calling after the 2 minute warning was a huge headscratcher. They had a 2nd and 9 going into the 2 minute warning and the Chiefs had 3 timeouts. If you score a TD then and there, which is what they were going for on the first play out of the 2 minute warning, you're giving Mahomes the ball with 2 minutes left and 3 time outs. I'd say the chances of him scoring a TD to win the game are pretty good. If you throw the ball twice there and tie the game, which is what ended up happening, you leave Mahomes with at least 1:30 and 3 timeouts to get in FG range, which I would say is very likely to happen. I thought they should have at least tried to run the ball a few more times, burn KC's timeouts, and whatever happens happens. They ran the ball well all game and Cook was getting 6 yards a carry. Not trying to run some clock there when Mahomes is on the other sideline made no sense to me. 

This was my mindset as well. As soon as they went for the end zone on that first down from about the 20 yard line, I knew they were going to blow the game.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Are you sure the Chiefs had all three timeouts and it wasn't just two?

• 1st & 10 at 50

(9:26 - 4th) Timeout #1 by KC at 09:26.

Another weird thing is why Buffalo went to Johnson so much in the 2nd half when Cook had been so dominant running the ball for the first 2 1/2 quarters or so of the game.

If it was 2, it made not running even more baffling.

16 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Supposedly this guy did get Geno and Wilson to get rid of the ball quicker.

For me I am happy they hired a guy who has done the job before, and aren’t hiring a assistant somewhere and hoping he figures it out.

to Harry Chappas point, if he is poached after a good offensive season then that is the price of poker right now, and it means the Bears had a good season.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Here is the issue.  Whoever he works with, if he is good he is gone after year 1. 

That's a good problem to have. Cause that either means Williams had a good rookie year or Waldron ended up unlocking Fields. Either way you're in a good position to go on without Waldron. 

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Not all that excited, but hey, it's not Brian Ferentz.

Well...now we have Kadyn Proctor finally/again, so Cade McNamara only needs some receivers to throw to.

Hasn't everyone been insistent on getting the next great LT?

If there's one thing Iowa is good at...it's producing solid pros along both sides of the line (and TE) of course.

That was extremely fortunate for Eberflus. I can't say he will be the best coordinator out of that group, as Zac Robinson or Coen could easily show up and storm the league a la Slowik and Canales.

But he has actual, successful playcalling experience with a cast that wasn't inevitable. I thought Seattle would be the worst team in the league last year. They made the playoffs. I thought Bucs would be worst team in the league this year, they made the playoffs.

One was led by Waldron, the other came to the bucs from working underneath Waldron. 

Maybe we find Canales was Waldron's secret sauce, since the Seahawks did regress. It's possible. To my eyes at the stats, it looks like the Seahawks OL was terrible, and maybe John Schneider just never was great at that but had Russ to bail him out.

I think most likely thing we find out - the difference between a Good OC and a Bad OC is not that large. We'll still be frustrated often, until our personnel group turns to becoming truly overwhelming. 

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

So should they not hire one, or…?

The sad reality of going with and retaining Eberflus is they will never have a consistent offense.  In order to do so they would need to go with a guy with no HC potetnial.  The OC version of Fangio.  If the OC gets a HC coach job simialr to Gase he could take staff with him and then the Bears are back at square one.  A spot where they do not thrive.

I really like Waldron.

25 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The sad reality of going with and retaining Eberflus is they will never have a consistent offense.  In order to do so they would need to go with a guy with no HC potetnial.  The OC version of Fangio.  If the OC gets a HC coach job simialr to Gase he could take staff with him and then the Bears are back at square one.  A spot where they do not thrive.

I really like Waldron.

If he is poached then it was a good season, probably a great season if we are being honest.  

it’s the nature of the nfl right now 

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

If he is poached then it was a good season, probably a great season if we are being honest.  

it’s the nature of the nfl right now 

Fire Eberflus and hire Waldron as HC...problem solved 😆

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

2 hours ago, bmags said:

That was extremely fortunate for Eberflus. I can't say he will be the best coordinator out of that group, as Zac Robinson or Coen could easily show up and storm the league a la Slowik and Canales.

But he has actual, successful playcalling experience with a cast that wasn't inevitable. I thought Seattle would be the worst team in the league last year. They made the playoffs. I thought Bucs would be worst team in the league this year, they made the playoffs.

One was led by Waldron, the other came to the bucs from working underneath Waldron. 

Maybe we find Canales was Waldron's secret sauce, since the Seahawks did regress. It's possible. To my eyes at the stats, it looks like the Seahawks OL was terrible, and maybe John Schneider just never was great at that but had Russ to bail him out.

I think most likely thing we find out - the difference between a Good OC and a Bad OC is not that large. We'll still be frustrated often, until our personnel group turns to becoming truly overwhelming. 

I'm with you, I think this is a really solid hire. I'm not saying he's the greatest OC in the world - but he's experience and has a solid track-record. He worked with a HOF HC in Carroll and obviously Pete had his views but Shane ran the show from play calling on down and so we are getting a seasoned individual who knows what to do. I love some of the articles I've seen out there in terms of Waldron having a track record in helping QB's speed up decision/making & process time and clearly Geno Smith made huge leaps forward from his Jets days (how much of that is due to Waldron vs. his staff vs. Geno's hard work - who knows - but on paper its a positive).  Wilson also was quicker getting ball out under Waldron.  

I also don't think he's the next Sean McVay or Shanny or Reid - but I think that is okay.  Having a really solid and stable guy who knows what he is doing is great - whether it is looking to get more out of Justin or looking to build a solid structure for development around a rookie QB.  I'm also presuming we will see Greg Olsen emerge as the QB coach - again, I didn't like Olsen as an OC - but what I love about Olsen is him and Waldron worked together - they have a built in trust, so I suspect that means the risk that you have too many voices gets reduced (that isn't to say you don't want different perspectives - you do - but you want them grounded in similar principles otherwise you kind of get to information overload which I think negatively impacted Bryce Young with what Panthers did this year but also back to Eagles with Carson Wentz).

Bottom Line: They are hiring a respectable, proven OC, who is also young and should have credibility to go get quality offensive assistants too.    

• Like 1

My near fear is Ferentz will tab Getsy as Iowa's new OC.  It seems clear to me from the timing of things that I think Ferentz is going to pull an NFL assistant as his OC (I thought it would have been Chryst or whatever the old Wisconsin coaches name was).  

Ha, oh man this hoge and jahns with the Seattle beat writer. Basically states all the good things in seattle were because of Pete and the players and all the bad things were Waldron.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Ha, oh man this hoge and jahns with the Seattle beat writer. Basically states all the good things in seattle were because of Pete and the players and all the bad things were Waldron.

Parkins and Spiegel had Dave “Softy” Mahler on today and he said a lot of the same stuff, he said that Waldron is very boring in his playcalling and hasn’t made anyone better.  Very reassuring 

2 hours ago, Southwest Sider said:

I hope this guy thinks he can unlock JF1. I'd rather the Bears be able to get another huge haul for the #1 and (if lucky) still be able to draft MHJ. 

That's the route I was thinking (trading down to 2 or 3 and drafting Harrison).  But honestly, just the thought of this team paying Fields 25-30+ million a year very soon is vomit inducing.    The more I've thought about it, the more I feel like you have to reset the clock on a cheap QB for the next four years.  Now if the Bears think the top four QBs in this class are pretty similar, you take Harrison at #1.  Trade Fields and draft whichever QB is left at #9.  Honestly, Whoever they draft at #9 with Harrison is going to be at least as good as Fields was this year.  So why not punt on having to pay a mediocre QB big bucks when you don't have to.

3 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

My near fear is Ferentz will tab Getsy as Iowa's new OC.  It seems clear to me from the timing of things that I think Ferentz is going to pull an NFL assistant as his OC (I thought it would have been Chryst or whatever the old Wisconsin coaches name was).  

Paul Chryst I think...