2023-24 NFL Season Thread

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The rest of the NFL apparently knows Fields canā€™t throw the ball, just like Bears fans, and that heā€™s a RB pretending to be a QB.

The only people fooled are a large percentage of Bears fans, who still want to build around him. And the random outspoken media personality.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

It's pretty wild. Minshew was essentially Justin Fields the passer but without Justin Fields the runner, and still they'd rather shell out $13 mill / year than trade for a guy making peanuts for a year.Ā 

Hey that's 2023 Pro Bowl QB Gardner Minshew you are talking about here.

Just now, T R U said:

Whats even realistic for Fields at this point for teams that need a starter now?

Minnesota, Denver.... that's it right?

Yep. And Iā€™d guarantee one of those two are trading up for McCarthy.Ā 

1 minute ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Yep. And Iā€™d guarantee one of those two are trading up for McCarthy.Ā 

They're both close enough to get a QB, but even if Denver doesn't I don't think they are in any rush to make a panic trade anyways seeing as how they appear to be going scorched earth on their rebuild.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

It's pretty wild. Minshew was essentially Justin Fields the passer but without Justin Fields the runner, and still they'd rather shell out $13 mill / year than trade for a guy making peanuts for a year.Ā 

It's because Minshew doesn't cost draft capital.Ā 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

How did he "play" himself?Ā  What huge offer did he turn down or something?

I think there was a market - Field(s) probably asked for too much - stuff started falling a different direction and teams decided to wait. I do think there is a potential that when the momentum was moving - Poles got a bit greedy and now in hindsight he might be regretting that choice.Ā  Maybe he thought, maybe I can get a FRP or 2 2nd rounders, instead of just being happy with an initial 2nd.Ā Ā 

2 minutes ago, T R U said:

Hey that's 2023 Pro Bowl QB Gardner Minshew you are talking about here.

For all the discussion of Fields passing, I do think the number one thing that teams don't want to deal with is possessions being DOA because he adds another 2-3 sacks per game. It just makes it really hard to be a high scoring offense with those kind of things happening.

6 minutes ago, T R U said:

Whats even realistic for Fields at this point for teams that need a starter now?

Minnesota, Denver.... that's it right?

Giants or Patriots. I don't think the Vikings or Broncos are realistic for him.Ā 

You'd also have to start looking at teams where he can sit behind someone that's older, like the Rams with Stafford.Ā 

Edited by chw42

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Giants or Patriots. I don't think the Vikings or Broncos are realistic for him.Ā 

The Patriots are going to have a choice of a nice QB prospect at #3, I don't think they are players for Fields. When you consider they just trashed Mac Jones and now have an entire new regime, that screams drafted QB to me.

The Giants are screwed. They are stuck with Daniel Jones, or they can cut him after this year and eat a 22 million dollar cap hit. If they trade for Fields and hes good, they would then have to resign Fields to a massive contract. Its just an ugly situation for them financially there.

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Its not a bad idea.Ā Ā 

If Justin was willing to take a multi year deal that was less than he maybe wanted, but allowed him to be tradeable if he flashed, would seemingly benefit all. Ā Iā€™m not sure they have to do anything but enact his 5th year option though, and just operate as a one year extension of his rookie contract

Who knows - maybe they really want to wait for the medical? Ā But that would be pretty dumb in my mind. Ā But it's going to make talk radio tough all the way up until the draft or at least up until USC pro day. Ā 

19 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

If Justin was willing to take a multi year deal that was less than he maybe wanted, but allowed him to be tradeable if he flashed, would seemingly benefit all. Ā Iā€™m not sure they have to do anything but enact his 5th year option though, and just operate as a one year extension of his rookie contract

I agree - I always said the best thing he could do actually for his trade value would be to basically have his agent work with other clubs and agree to a 2 yr extension - call it for 20M per year - so he is getting some big guaranteed money (sets him up for life) while also almost ensuring he gets a real shot to start.Ā  If he doesn't do well - he at least got generational money and if he does do well - the deal is short-term enough a team would rip it up and extend him to big money 1-2 years down the road (and if they didn't - he is set to make a killing).Ā Ā 

He could always agree to some stipulation as part of the option of the deal that you can't franchise him or something.Ā  But if I were Field(s) that is what I would do?Ā  Know I will be somewhere for at least 2 years to get a true 2nd chance, otherwise you could end up like Mitch (not a bad gig by all means).Ā Ā 

11 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Gave up Twitter for lent. Can someone let me know what this is about?

Says Bears haven't even put Field(s) on the market as they are still evaluating Caleb.Ā  I think it is BS, but supposedly Rap said it in which case there must be some merit.Ā Ā 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Says Bears haven't even put Field(s) on the market as they are still evaluating Caleb.Ā  I think it is BS, but supposedly Rap said it in which case there must be some merit.Ā Ā 

So all the tweets about the Raiders and Bears discussing a Fields trade were made up?Ā 

37 minutes ago, chw42 said:

This feels like pure cope from the FO after the lack of trade interest.Ā 

I honestly believe that so much of their off-season plan was reliant on Fields bringing in at least a second round pick, and now they have to adjust without it. But unfortunately, they are already limited with draft capital outside of #1 and #9

You want to talk about setting up your QB for success? Sign a veteran and have Williams sit. If they value intangibles like a good locker room, donā€™t even allow an opportunity for a Fields/Williams QB controversy.Ā 

2 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

I honestly believe that so much of their off-season plan was reliant on Fields bringing in at least a second round pick, and now they have to adjust without it. But unfortunately, they are already limited with draft capital outside of #1 and #9

You want to talk about setting up your QB for success? Sign a veteran and have Williams sit. If they value intangibles like a good locker room, donā€™t even allow an opportunity for a Fields/Williams QB controversy.Ā 

I think they would be disappointed if they canā€™t move Justin but I canā€™t imagine so much of their offseason hinges on one (maybe) second round pick. Ā It helps, but itā€™s not everythingĀ