2023-24 NFL Season Thread

45 minutes ago, Tony said:

This is amazing

It can always get worse lol.  Well at least we don’t have to listen to the “Bagent is da future” crowd so much after last night.  Collinsworth was incredibly embarrassing  with his cheerleading of him 

4 hours ago, bmags said:

The penalties piss me off more than being bad, but I know that it's probably them realizing they are terrible now that they keep needing to commit penalties.

It didn’t count, but the false start on the hard count at the end of the third was so pathetic 

23 minutes ago, fathom said:

It didn’t count, but the false start on the hard count at the end of the third was so pathetic 

lmao, Bagent was basically telling the whole line he's gonna hard count at the line and they still didn't get it.

10 hours ago, bmags said:

someone broke down how has has a real baseball infielder throw that gets the ball out incredibly quick and accurate with zip on shorter throws, but then he doesn't really switch that up well to the kind of over-the-top arm angle you'd use in the outfield to get a long throw with velocity. Made sense to me, and was also pointed out how many top QBs recently had baseball backgrounds. That was never "new", but probably more pronounced in how guys now play off script and can change arm angles like Mahomes and to a lesser extent kyler murray can.

While we didn't hit an inside straight on bagent, I tell ya one thing I'm extremely reayd for is not seeing an offensive line with cody whitehair and lucas patrick.

I did notice that in person at the game.  I thought his deep ball was awful looking - other than the throw to Mooney.  The Velus throw was such a bad throw - I get Velus shouldn't have slipped - but I MEAN a total lame duck wobbly throw. Same thing on the pick - he air mailed an intermediate route.

I guess someone said it was a misunderstanding - but from my eye he was either throwing to Moore or Mooney (and Mooney looked open) but it got away.  He would than come back and throw an out and throw with some real zip and accuracy (like he threw some tremendous balls yesterday too).  

10 hours ago, bmags said:

someone broke down how has has a real baseball infielder throw that gets the ball out incredibly quick and accurate with zip on shorter throws, but then he doesn't really switch that up well to the kind of over-the-top arm angle you'd use in the outfield to get a long throw with velocity. Made sense to me, and was also pointed out how many top QBs recently had baseball backgrounds. That was never "new", but probably more pronounced in how guys now play off script and can change arm angles like Mahomes and to a lesser extent kyler murray can.

While we didn't hit an inside straight on bagent, I tell ya one thing I'm extremely reayd for is not seeing an offensive line with cody whitehair and lucas patrick.

The penalties and mis blocks that drove negative plays were brutal yesterday and definitely put the Bears in an uphill situation against a really good team.  It seemed like any good play - you took a step back and you can't afford that on the road against a team like the Chargers, especially with a young QB making their 2nd start.  

8 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Reports that the Bears are close to acquiring a defensive end.

Improvements are obviously needed, but not sure if Poles is in the hot seat. And if he is, not sure how wise it is to let him trade away future assets.

I think Poles will be given the “you are not hiring another Eberflus” edict and make his next coaching hire, and pray he is right.   He isn’t on the hot seat IMO but it definitely got way warmer than it was supposed to this season 

3 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Last year of his contract? Are the Bears serious contenders to re-sign him? What do they have to gain by trading for him this season? We’re not in contention and you could have just signed him in the offseason.

I don’t get it either.  They will extend him in the coming weeks it sounds like though.

13 minutes ago, Tony said:

I hope this works better than the last time they traded a 2nd rounder for a player.  In this case - Sweat doesn't have the same concerns Claypool did (in terms of lockeroom and downward trend). They need to pay the guy - he is at a premium position so at least I get the fact that if they were going to give up a top notch draft asset (and they are) than this is the type of guy / position to do it for. 

I would have just loved to NOT give up the pick.  

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He''ll probably get that pick back by trading Johnson.  Not sure that's the right move but they'll say finding a corner is easier than finding a pass rusher.  

Which is technically a true statement.  They also have a couple other young DB's, not saying they are as good as Johnson. If they got a 2nd for Johnson great - but when it turns into like a 4th rounder than yuck.  I am a pretty big fan of Johnson and think we'll see him start creating a ton more turnovers when the line starts getting to the QB (which will happen more with Sweat - although Sweat doesn't magically make the Dline good).  

7 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Last year of his contract? Are the Bears serious contenders to re-sign him? What do they have to gain by trading for him this season? We’re not in contention and you could have just signed him in the offseason.

If he isn't extended Poles should be fired immediately.  My concern with this move is that while Sweat is a solid player, I don't think he is special and I'm guessing he is going to get a really really big money extension.

Just now, whitesoxfan99 said:

If he isn't extended Poles should be fired immediately.  My concern with this move is that while Sweat is a solid player, I don't think he is special and I'm guessing he is going to get a really really big money extension.

He is going to get paid a ton.  And you are right - if they didn't extend him, OMG.  I think the reality is - its a premium position and whether now or in FA - they were going to give a massive deal to someone.  And even than - there are no guarantees you can get it. And the draft doesn't seem to be a deep pass rushing draft.  So for all of those reasons I get it. He's also not old, he's not super young either, basically in his prime years at 27.  

And I presume Poles is going to focus the draft on offense, whether its a new QB plus a playmaker or if they need to a LT.  

I will caveat - my worry is they just traded for Alex Brown. Good all around end, but not special.  I would have preferred doing this for Chase Young - higher risk, but the upside was there.  Hopefully I am wrong on that front. No doubt Sweat is a good player though and a clear upgrade. 

20 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I hope this works better than the last time they traded a 2nd rounder for a player.  In this case - Sweat doesn't have the same concerns Claypool did (in terms of lockeroom and downward trend). They need to pay the guy - he is at a premium position so at least I get the fact that if they were going to give up a top notch draft asset (and they are) than this is the type of guy / position to do it for. 

I would have just loved to NOT give up the pick.  

I thought they still had a decent amount of cash avaialbe this year.  Get a good chunck of the deal on this year's balance sheet. 

27 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

The trade isn't about this season it seems. However, the dude was going to hit free agency in a fewm short months.  

I hear what you are saying. Could have kept the second rounder and just signed the dude in the offseason. 

10 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

The trade isn't about this season it seems. However, the dude was going to hit free agency in a fewm short months.  

I hear what you are saying. Could have kept the second rounder and just signed the dude in the offseason. 

That is exactly what I mean. And if this guy is looking to get paid, why would he not hit free agency?

So the only hope for the Bears to sign him to an extension would be to drastically overpay him, right?

It just doesn’t make sense to me. Just sign him in the offseason and keep the pick.